Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
"asked for it" is too strong but, when you are talking of people being physically disabled in the course of their occupation, a little respect doesn't cost much.

There's your answer, save it for the self serving war mongers that sent them there.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A great friend of mine is off to Afghanistan soon. He is a Captain for the Royal Engineers and there is always that nagging feeling that you might not see him again.

He joined he army, not with the sole intention of fighting in a certain war. He joined to serve the country and wherever that takes him. He is a hero in my eyes, as are those that have served before him and will serve after him. Anyone that is willing to put their lives at risk in the line of duty is a hero to me.

Well said.
Our very own Junior who posts here is due to go out to Afghanistan next week.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
for what it is worth,

i dont agree with either of the economic wars we are embroiled in, plentiful supply of cheap oil(for america)and loads of jobs for tony b,liar are poor excuses for either war.

BUT the sacrifices of the american and british working class soldiers does demand respect and recognition.

heroes might be slightly over the top,for their injuries may not be a direct result of an act of specific bravery(an heroic act) but,be fair, coping with being in a war zone is a brave act

excellent point
sums it up for me

and if i had a son in the army i would have said the same thing to you

very insensitive

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you don't like getting shot at, don't join the armed forces.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
Remember when Thatcher was up in arms about 'the Russian invasion of Afghanistan' and wanting us to boycott the Moscow Olympics? Remember when Peter Snow was calling the Taliban (cos that's what they were, Bin Laden and Mullah Omar were out there shaking hands with CIA operatives!) 'brave freedom fighters' on News At Ten?

Sure, the Taliban need to be defeated. They are lunatics. If the US hadn't FUNDED them for 10 years the Russians would have done the job all those years ago - no 9/11, no War on Terror, no countless dead in Iraq in a stupid war. Now British soldiers are
being sent over there to fight Taliban armed with weapons bought by the US Government. A bloody disgrace.

Still a stupid thing to say though....especially at a footie match.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There is always a lot of hero worshipping of the Forces on here. I can respect the job the forces do and appreciate sacrifices, rightly or wrongly they have made. But sometimes people go overboard on here as if by talking up the forces they are somehow affiliating themselves with them. (Obviously for some that have been in the forces, this is not the case) but it all comes across as a bit Gareth from The Office sometimes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Some people on here affiliate themselves with the forces because they have served themselves or had near relatives who have served.
That doesn't make them hero worshippers (an emotive word - worshipper) but appreciative of the difficulties the politicians get the forces into.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
For what it's worth I do think that HM armed forces are being used for political rather than national interests at the moment, but it was ever thus.

That said, the soldiers in theatre are doing their duty and are under daily attack doing it, they are volunteers and therefore presumably willing to fight and die for whatever cause the State sees fit, but they still display a huge amount of personal courage in doing so and I for onr think that, even if the mission is flawed, their preparedness to carry it out, with little complaint, should earn them our respect.

And the posters derogatory sneering should earn him a good shoeing for disagreeing with me obviously.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.
Im off to Afghanistan next friday for 6 months.

Its not my choice to decide where i go,but rest assured if it ever comest to defending my country on these shores i'll make sure im near your house and i'll be quite happy to let any foreign soldier into your house to RAPE you and your family!!!!

COCK.

I dont think people join the Army especialy to go and fight uninvited in other coutries.

BTW,im not into politics,but i think you'll find we are invited and welcomed by the governments into both Iraq and Afghan.Could be wrong like......

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some people on here affiliate themselves with the forces because they have served themselves or had near relatives who have served.
That doesn't make them hero worshippers (an emotive word - worshipper) but appreciative of the difficulties the politicians get the forces into.

Yes, read the post properly and I have said pretty much that. I have many relatives in the Forces, including my Dad. I was in a Military school and set to join the Army myself but while I can appreciate why people appreciate the job the Forces do as I do to a degree, we mustn't forget that many peole join the forces looking for excitement and perhaps some Kudos and when this ends up with them going to War and actually being in mortal danger it becomes a differant story.

However, people's lives are affected by it and to gob off in public about it was quite insensitive.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
At half time the announcer said something about the club having invited some crippled war heroes from the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq along to the game.

I said, "Heroes?"

At which point two fine gentlemen looked as though they were about to set about me. Much shouting and waving of fists ensued as they proceeded to tell me that one had a son in the army, our "boys" were doing a great job, etc etc.

I explained (or attempted to) that in my view war "heroes" were soldiers who defended their country, not ones who went off to fight uninvited in other countries.

The response (accompanied by much shouting, swearing and aggression) was that they didn't ask to go to Iraq or Afghanistan and were just doing their jobs.

I mumbled something about opposing the Iraq and Afghanistan operations and being entitled to an opinion, to which another guy nearby responded that he didn't disagree with me, but that I should have probably kept my opinions to myself.

At that point I walked away.

What I should have added is that anyone else who gets injured "doing their job" is not automatically called a hero. So why should the military?

It also occured to me that if I had said "heroes!" rather than "heroes?", I would not have had a problem. Interesting how the difference between an exclamation mark and a question mark after a word, even when you're speaking not writing, can make a difference between getting attacked or not!!

Anyway, the two gentlemen in question were certainly not the most savoury of our fellow Seagulls supporters!

Im off to Afghanistan next friday for 6 months.

Its not my choice to decide where i go,but rest assured if it ever comest to defending my country on these shores i'll make sure im near your house and i'll be quite happy to let any foreign soldier into your house to RAPE you and your family!!!!

COCK.

I dont think people join the Army especialy to go and fight uninvited in other coutries.

BTW,im not into politics,but i think you'll find we are invited and welcomed by the governments into both Iraq and Afghan.Could be wrong like......

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What about the british contractors who put their lives at risk rebuilding the country's infrastructure.

Are they heroes too?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
they came into the changing room before the game. looking around you could see in the eyes the horrors that had been witnessed. the sheer look of desperation at the thought that they would have to go to battle in a barren, deserted hell-hole once again. and the army lads weren't looking too good either!

WA-HEY!!

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
pop.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here