Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
whaT EVER the right and wrongs of Goldstone remark, I DON'T think anyone on here should condone violence againgst him, and that is a problem with this society of ours, too many people morally think its OK to give someone a slap.

LC

Not going to enter into the rights and wrongs of Goldstone saying what he did but this is spot on.

You can often see posters on this very forum complaining about the collapse of society, chavs on the rampage etc. then wankin off about football violence.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Maybe it's time the English left their troops at home.

It's been what 800 years? of leaving their own shores and killing other peoples in their own nations many of whom were merely defending their own lands.

Why not use their manpower and skills to do work internally rather than externally.

Because with that attitude we'd all be speaking German by now.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Let's get this in context shall we.

I actually said one word after the announcement; and that was "heroes?"

I didn't shout it, yell it, or add any other disparaging remarks.

The point of starting this thread was to highlight how one word, used with an inflection that upsets a couple of thugs, can get you into trouble.

So soldiers are not heroes to you and anyone who you offend with such comments is autmoatically a thug. Glad we got that straight.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You just beat me to it. I can feel him squirming from here.

Sorry, but no squirming whatsoever here.

Are all soldiers (that includes navy and airforce guys) heroes? No.

Are the ones who fight to defend their country heroes? Yes.

Is fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq "defending their country"? No.

Do they have any option as to where they fight? I presume not. If you join up to defend your country (very admirable) and then you're told you're off to invade Iraq, can you say "no thanks, I'm leaving, this is not what I joined to do"? Interesting question to which I would like to know the answer.

You could ask the same question about firefighters. Are they all heroes?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You know, some people join the forces bcause they don't have the skills to face life on civvy street and see it as an easy way out.

*winces and waits for backhander*

But there is a point, why do we the UK invest so much of our man power, and % of GDP fighting in places, few people in the world let alone in this country are so bothered by.

If you look at the majority of Countries with similar GDP's, they have far better services at home, better, hospitals, quality of life, less threat of terrorism and they keep their troops at home and invest in the well being of their citizens.

We and the USA adopt a different approach?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you look at the majority of Countries with similar GDP's, they have far better services at home, better, hospitals, quality of life, less threat of terrorism and they keep their troops at home and invest in the well being of their citizens.

Because we and the US are greedy motherfuckers who are happy to send troops off to die in order to continue our selfish, unrelenting march across the territories and rights of others in the soulless and malevolent pursuit of Oil, precious resources and ultimately, money and absaloute power.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But there is a point, why do we the UK invest so much of our man power, and % of GDP fighting in places, few people in the world let alone in this country are so bothered by.

I think that sort of issue stems from what was once the British Empire where we still believe we should rule the world.

USA however appear to just intervene whenever it suits them.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Because we and the US are greedy motherfuckers who are happy to send troops off to die in order to continue our selfish, unrelenting march across the territories and rights of others in the soulless and malevolent pursuit of Oil, precious resources and ultimately, money and absaloute power.

Seconded!

I don't think it's our troops fault for being sent out though. I think it makes them all the better for carrying out their job, despite the negativity towards them.

Seconded!

I don't think it's our troops fault for being sent out though. I think it makes them all the better for carrying out their job, despite the negativity towards them.

And that why people confuse their new role with the term "heroes" they are not fighting fascism, or a potential invasion of the UK, if we want to deal with drugs on our streets, do as the Danes, the Germans, the Swedes etc.

Invest in the youth, invest in anti drug education, invest in a more egalatarian society, invest in rehab of drug offenders and invest in the Police.
And of this will still be cheaper that sending troops off to chew sand and dirt in a place they know little about and care about less.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You know, some people join the forces bcause they don't have the skills to face life on civvy street and see it as an easy way out.

f*** me that's a bit rich coming from a (failed) actor. Even Ricky Gervais parodies the lot of an actor in Extras by saying her only got into acting because persuing a career was too much hard work.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
f*** me that's a bit rich coming from a (failed) actor. Even Ricky Gervais parodies the lot of an actor in Extras by saying her only got into acting because persuing a career was too much hard work.

Yes I can see how my comment on the topic could warrant a torrent of personal abuse from you. Thanks.

I am actually speaking from experience. My stepbrother admits that is the reason why he joined the RAF and I know several ex-army who say they joined up because they considered life on civvy street to be harder than army life.

But thanks for the personal abuse.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I can see how my comment on the topic could warrant a torrent of personal abuse from you. Thanks.

I am actually speaking from experience. My stepbrother admits that is the reason why he joined the RAF and I know several ex-army who say they joined up because they considered life on civvy street to be harder than army life.

But thanks for the personal abuse.
Personal abuse my arse. Seems odd to me that you can have a pop at some trades but others aren't allowed to do the same towards actors.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Personal abuse my arse. Seems odd to me that you can have a pop at some trades but others aren't allowed to do the same towards actors.

Yeah, well I wasn't having a pop at any trade especially not the forces so you are onto a non-starter there. In fact as far as i can recall I never have done. So don't bother with the wind ups because I am enjoying this thread and am interested in other people's opinions on the matter, not your little one man war against me. So if you don't mind....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, well I wasn't having a pop at any trade especially not the forces so you are onto a non-starter there. In fact as far as i can recall I never have done. So don't bother with the wind ups because I am enjoying this thread and am interested in other people's opinions on the matter, not your little one man war against me. So if you don't mind....
Trying to take the moral high ground. Very misplaced, but I'll let people judge this for themselves:

Personally I think it makes you look like you're doing your very best to sound controversial like 75% of the rest of your posts on this thread, and finally it got right on my tits.

But sorry for calling you a "failed actor" - that was uncalled for. I should have just said "actor".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Trying to take the moral high ground. Very misplaced, but I'll let people judge this for themselves:

Personally I think it makes you look like you're doing your very best to sound controversial like 75% of the rest of your posts on this thread, and finally it got right on my tits.

But sorry for calling you a "failed actor" - that was uncalled for. I should have just said "actor".

Oh wind your neck in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here