Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think I nearly got beaten up at the game last night!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Super little thread, this one. Much better than concluding that not all of the armed forces are heroes but that they all deserve a certain amount respect on page 1.

pop.jpg

crisps.jpg

Post of the day

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Think Goldstone may have to change his name as most on here seem to want his blood!!

I have a mate who is off to Afghanistan in a few weeks. Told him about this post and he asked me to post his response. As he wrote so much I feel obliged:

As a member of our Armed Forces for the last 16 years (and life long
Albion
supporter), I feel that we are lucky enough to live in one of the most
liberal, affluent and tolerant countries in the world. In this
democratic
society we take freedom of speech for granted, I have served in a
number of
countries where this is not the case - maybe think about the sacrifice
others have give that enable us to have this right. As a point of
fact,
when a service man or women 'joins up' they swear an oath of allegiance
to
the Monarch, and NOT the government of the day or the policy they
create. I
would like the people who have posted more negative comments to think
about
that, it is a job, however we cannot pick and chose which bits we want
to
do, and our own personal views are put to one side in service on our
country, and the orders given by the democratically elected government,
how
did you last vote?

I don't expect every body to agree with what is currently happening in
Afghanistan and Iraq (I doubt all servicemen do), but please think
about the
individuals and their loved ones who are putting there lives at risk in
the
name of the United Kingdom...and the only perk is that they might get a
t-shirt from Soccer AM!

These are difficult times for our Services who are going to dangerous
places
with the aim of making them better for the people who live there, and
creating a safer world....I will be deploying to Afghanistan in around
weeks time.

NO, this is the post of the day (albeit I don't agree with all of the sentiments)

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Goldstone - We may have freedom of speech but it's nice to keep a bit of decency and respect for others with it.

Perhaps in future, whilst you're in the middle of a crowd, you may consider not blurting out your opinions on sensitive issues that could quite clearly offend people ???

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
whaT EVER the right and wrongs of Goldstone remark, I DON'T think anyone on here should condone violence againgst him, and that is a problem with this society of ours, too many people morally think its OK to give someone a slap.

WE ARE a violent society and we only cringe when some youths decide an old bloke, is being too much of a busy body and decide to give hime a toe in.

As a free society Goldstone has a right to make his remarks, however, distasteful or inappropriate, without him coming under the threat of violence.

Otherwise mob law will prevail and then why are our troops fighting at all?

LC

Thank you.

Right to free speech and all that.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Though having served in the armed forces, I can't speak for all my ex-colleagues but generally we never looked for the title of Hero, we just wanted a bit of respect for a difficult job well done. Prior to the falklands we were drunken scum who were a discrase to our ship/regiment/squadron (circle as appropriate), but in a space of a few days we were heroes.
It has always been thus, from the time of Cromwell onwards. Bastards when things are quiet, heroes when the shit hits the fan. As has been pointed out, Goldstone should take his ire out on the politicians who allow such a situation to happen, and not those who have the uneviable task of being in the mix. Though he states otherwise I suspect that Goldstone thinks the average member of the armed forces is beneath him mainly because they volunteered to join. Again this has always been the case.

If everyone took his attitude then there would be no armed forces and we would have a bit of a problem.

Whether you are defending the GB on British soil or sn a hole in some far flung isle, rounds, grenades, mines etc still kill, maim and injure. The pain is no different, the crap medical facilities are the same. The indifference of the british people a year down the line is generally the same, granted poppy day is well supported but for the 350 days in the year .... well Goldstome has answered that for us.

Should he have been threatened with violence ... No, should he spend sometime with the injured and maimed .. Yes ..

But ... it has always been thus.

Even though a Rock Ape ...... Junior Good luck, keep safe and don't do anything stupid :thumbsup:

An interesting, measured and well thought out response with some valid points. Thank you.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
Whilst I disagree with Goldstone on this issue, he/she (sorry I don't know who you are) is entitled to the opinion he has. Common sense should be used when expressing an opinion on such a sensative subject as this (to some).

My son is in the forces. He did not join up to go to war. In the same breath, he was fully aware that in this day and age there is a possibility that he may end up in one. He joined up because he wanted to do a job that he cared about.

Thankfully, he is currently based a long way from the likes of Iraq and Afghanistan. I admire his courage for doing a job that most of us would not want to.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Let's get this in context shall we.

I actually said one word after the announcement; and that was "heroes?"

I didn't shout it, yell it, or add any other disparaging remarks.

The point of starting this thread was to highlight how one word, used with an inflection that upsets a couple of thugs, can get you into trouble.

Thank you to those who have supported what I have said.

I have no doubt that anyone who joins the armed forces has a degree of bravery that I do not possess. They join because they want to and should be aware of the potential risks.

My only question is whether they are all "heroes".

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Why? cos I question something? If you weren't such a reactionary and actually absorbed my other posts you will see I have respect for The Armed Forces. I just don't have blind faith in every person that joins up.

Think before you post next time, especially when you just come across as a second rate BarsMars, which is saying something.

It's not about having blind faith in ANYONE that joins. EVERYONE that goes to fight for queen and country deserves the utmost respect in my opinion!

The point of starting this thread was to highlight how one word, used with an inflection that upsets a couple of thugs, can get you into trouble.

I have no doubt that anyone who joins the armed forces has a degree of bravery that I do not possess. They join because they want to and should be aware of the potential risks.

I typed out a long post telling you why they are, and how they also represent the other people fighting on behalf of our country. Did you read it, and if you did, why did you ask this again??

You have adequately elucidated beyond the simplicity of one word, for NSC to elucidate with their opinions. What about everyone's opinions did you NOT understand?

Please just go squirm on your own and stop trying to come up with new angles, we all managed to understand your stance - now just accept that most people think you are a twat.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good post Deportivo. Or as that favourite son of Sussex, Rudyard Kipling, put it:

It's Johnny this and Johnny that
And Johnny go away
But it's please sir, Mr Atkins
When the guns begin to play.
Tommy, not Johnny.

Apart from that, post of the day.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

A mealy mouthed climbdown if ever I saw one

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here