Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I got into a punch up tonight

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You educate them.

I've taken my 12 year old to Withdean plenty of times, and (unknown to him at the moment) he will have his first ever season ticket dropping through the door in a couple of months. He's never had a Man U or Chelsea shirt on his back, nor does he want one. He's been brought up to support the stripes. I've basically brainwashed the lad - he knows he's a proper fan amongst the plastics at his school in their Big Four replica tops. And I've always told him - if some snotty kid in a Man U shirt takes the piss out of the Albion, you can cut him dead with one question: "How many games have YOU been to then ?"

Easy innit.

It's not so easy, Easy!

I did the same with my son and he is Albion through and through, but not every parent will do that. Plenty of parents couldn't care less about football and consider other things more important. That is their choice. It is not a crime.

You could also say that our 'brainwashing' of our sons is wrong - they should be allowed to make their own choice....too late now, thankfully!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
what is the difference with a Dad taking a kid to see a premiership team ( that a kid may see on the telly every week) and that kid getting hooked and they both going together, than "educating " your child.

Maybe its just me, but if Laura or Bex wanted to go and see Arsenal or Chelsea when they were growing up, I would have taken them...I have no problem with that at all.

I fully agree with you there dave, little bulldog has allways loved Chelsea since he first knew what football was so i've done my best to give him the oppotunity to go and support his beloved blues. It's never stopped him going along to support the Albion as well though so between us we have a great time football supporting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
what is the difference with a Dad taking a kid to see a premiership team ( that a kid may see on the telly every week) and that kid getting hooked and they both going together, than "educating " your child.

Maybe its just me, but if Laura or Bex wanted to go and see Arsenal or Chelsea when they were growing up, I would have taken them...I have no problem with that at all.

If that Premiership team happens to be the local team then fine.
But if Curtis had asked me to take him to an Arsenal match, my first question would be "why ?", followed by a lengthy lecture on what it is and what it means to support a football club. Its not about following the glamour, its more important than that.

OK there's the associated glamour and excitement of going to a massive, spectacular stadium and seeing all the big stars that he'd (in theory) miss out on by me not taking him to Arsenal. But instead, I've got us tickets to the England v USA game at Wembley on Wednesday, so he's got that to look forward to instead. Everyones a winner.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What is so difficult to grasp about that? Weird. And indefensibly so. Give me a Luton fan or a Chelsea fan from Surrey and I know who I'd rather be stuck in a lift and talking about football with any day of the week.

I agree with the sentiment - but if you live in Surrey then there is a "local" reason to support Chelsea - in that there is no Surrey League club - and the nearest have little association (i.e. Reading/Palace/Brentford depending what part of Surrey) so Chelsea is as local as any of them.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
You could also say that our 'brainwashing' of our sons is wrong - they should be allowed to make their own choice
*splutter*

They will thank you for it.

I didn't get a lot of thanks during the last years at the Goldstone and the Gillingham years!

It is very difficult to persuade a young lad that watching dross week after week is a pleasure and something to look forward to!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If that Premiership team happens to be the local team then fine.
But if Curtis had asked me to take him to an Arsenal match, my first question would be "why ?", followed by a lengthy lecture on what it is and what it means to support a football club. Its not about following the glamour, its more important than that.

OK there's the associated glamour and excitement of going to a massive, spectacular stadium and seeing all the big stars that he'd (in theory) miss out on by me not taking him to Arsenal. But instead, I've got us tickets to the England v USA game at Wembley on Wednesday, so he's got that to look forward to instead. Everyones a winner.

Will you be my Dad too?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I agree with the sentiment - but if you live in Surrey then there is a "local" reason to support Chelsea - in that there is no Surrey League club - and the nearest have little association (i.e. Reading/Palace/Brentford depending what part of Surrey) so Chelsea is as local as any of them.

I was unlucky enough to go to school in Surrey and the kids there would ask "United or Palace?" as if they were literally the only teams in the world. Palace were the nearest league club so I had no problem with that but Manchester United was a pointless option. Never got that

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You could also say that our 'brainwashing' of our sons is wrong - they should be allowed to make their own choice

I didn't get a lot of thanks during the last years at the Goldstone and the Gillingham years!

It is very difficult to persuade a young lad that watching dross week after week is a pleasure and something to look forward to!

Its ones of lifes lessons. It teaches loyalty, of hope in adversity, that not everything in life is easy, that success has to be earned, and is hard-earned. And although there are many lows, the highs are that much sweeter when they eventually come along.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Its ones of lifes lessons. It teaches loyalty, of hope in adversity, that not everything in life is easy, that success has to be earned, and is hard-earned. And although there are many lows, the highs are that much sweeter when they eventually come along.

I agree totally

But it's a lesson that, first the parent needs to be interested enough to teach and, secondly, the child wants to learn when quality football, success and trophies are easy to achieve by turning on the telly and watching United, Chelsea, etc.

I simply can't blame the kids for that, or even parents who have no interest in football - it's not compulsory.

The administartors are to blame for allowing a situation to exist and escalate that allows fewer and fewer clubs the opportunity to get anywhere near that quality and success.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
My eldest, who is 14 now, only really discovered football in the last three years. Since then he has supported Bayern Munich and then Fulham, for what reasons I haven't a clue. We have humoured him and bought him stuff at Christmas and birthdays etc for those teams.

During that time I have also made trips over, at least once a year, to bring the boys to Withdean and watch a game. If it's in the summer we try to take in a pre season friendly.

I have noticed this year that he has taken more of an interest in the Albion generally and has started reading all my books, he has bought a couple of retro shirts and watched all my old videos and DVD's.. I genuinely believe that despite all the media coverage and glory (Fulham - ahem!!) that a top side can bring that he actually feels more of a connection with the albion.

I don't want this to sound detrimental but the club can feel a bit tinpot at times and appears to have a lack of professionalism but as a result the club and, more importantly to the boys, the players appear to be more approachable than a premiership star might be. Something I think the club will lose a little of if it wants to compete in the top two leagues.

Actually, now I've written all that, I'm not sure where it's going but I don't want to delete it :lolol:

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
My favourite when its apparent you are in conversation with a southern plastic.

So who do you support?
Man Utd
Who?
Man utd
Sorry?
MAN UTD
I'm sorry its the thick manc accent you need to slow down so I can understand you. :thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're saying that the three families used to travel together every week when Chelsea were in Division Two!?

The kids probably weren't even born!
Haven't you worked it out yet Wozza? Dave's making it up as he goes along, for some reason. :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You're saying that the three families used to travel together every week when Chelsea were in Division Two!?

The kids probably weren't even born!

No they weren't...when they were old enough they started going with their dads...anything else you would like explained?

Oh and Simster...why would I make that up?

If you want to take the piss fine, but dont call me a liar

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here