Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I got into a punch up tonight

In fairness, DtG, you haven't explained it overly clearly. You also seem rather confused about what constitutes a plastic fan.

The Chelsea fans that have been going since the 1970s are NOT plastic fans. People have all kinds of reasons for supporting various clubs.

The Chelsea fans that have started going in the past 5 (or so) years are RELATIVELY plastic. They've only started going now because it is fashionable and because they are good.

However, the ULTIMATE plastic fans are the ones that have become Chelsea fans in the past 5 (or so) years (or in fairness most people that have started 'supporting' a Premiership club since the inception of the Premiership), yet never actually go to a game, or even make an effort to go to a game; instead they sit in the pub with their mates in their replica shirts watching the game, because it is far too much effort to actually go to the game.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I remember the Wycombe fans singing this a while back :D

Care free, whoever you maybe
Chelsea's got no history
So please sit down so I can see
The rest of the season on Sky TV

Or...

Carefree wherever you may be
We are the nouveau Chelsea FC
So please sit down
So my wife can see
We've been coming here since 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In my 10 year old son's class in Chandlers Ford [Hampshire] there are 10 boys.

1 x Albion
2 x Saints
1 x Chelsea
1 x Liverpool
3 x Manchester United
2 x no allegiance

The 3 United are 100% would I would deem plastic.
The Chelsea is a STH holder at Stamford Bridge, as his Dad is proper old school Chelsea. The Dad was in Moscow last night of course.

I'm impressed with the quality of the internet connection that The Complete Badger managed to get from his seat in the Luznikhy Stadium last night btw.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Plastic fans are bandwaggoners to start with.

And as a rule bandwaggoners will support more than one team during their time.

Loyalty isn't a strong point of these people.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
we were in h bar in hove, only about 6 of us in the whole bar. some chelsea pissed up prick shouting all the way through the game was told several times to keep it down as was not a footie pub and only showing the game as we know the owner, eventually a mate of mine told him to f*** off out. left his chelsea top on the bar, which he came back for in the style of running into the pub with a bottle in his hand - i disarmed him and we all kicked him back out. then he came back offering us all out before running off....wanker from surrey!!!

ps. buzzer...did you get your coat back??

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
In my 10 year old son's class in Chandlers Ford [Hampshire] there are 10 boys.

1 x Albion
2 x Saints
1 x Chelsea
1 x Liverpool
3 x Manchester United
2 x no allegiance

The 3 United are 100% would I would deem plastic.
The Chelsea is a STH holder at Stamford Bridge, as his Dad is proper old school Chelsea. The Dad was in Moscow last night of course.

I'm impressed with the quality of the internet connection that The Complete Badger managed to get from his seat in the Luznikhy Stadium last night btw.

So only two of ten support their local team. It points to a problem in football but it doesn't make those boys or their parents sub-human species as some comments seem to indicate.

How do you MAKE new kids support their local team if that team is not successful? You can try, but it doesn't make them evil if they don't.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
So only two of ten support their local team. It points to a problem in football but it doesn't make those boys or their parents sub-human species as some comments seem to indicate.

How do you MAKE new kids support their local team if that team is not successful? You can try, but it doesn't make them evil if they don't.

i'm with many voices on this thread: it's not about winning, it's not even about major league competing, it's about supporting your local club. so my lads get to jin the junior seagulls aged 2 weeks, get the shirt etc and know that the albion are their local team. it's working so far (even though my eldest wanted to watch cartoons rather than the start of the chumpions league final.......)

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
i'm with many voices on this thread: it's not about winning, it's not even about major league competing, it's about supporting your local club. so my lads get to jin the junior seagulls aged 2 weeks, get the shirt etc and know that the albion are their local team. it's working so far (even though my eldest wanted to watch cartoons rather than the start of the chumpions league final.......)

You did that, I did that and it worked. But what happens when they can make up their own minds? My lad carried on supporting the Albion, but plenty don't. What does a Dad do when his son says he wants to watch better football than he sees at the Albion. I have a friend who experienced just that. His son simply did not enjoy what Albion were serving up at the time and we were awful at the time!

You can tell them that it's not just about winning or playing in higher divisions, but if they don't agree there's not much you can do.

And how do you do it for kids whose parents haven't the least interest in football?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
You did that, I did that and it worked. But what happens when they can make up their own minds? My lad carried on supporting the Albion, but plenty don't. What does a Dad do when his son says he wants to watch better football than he sees at the Albion. I have a friend who experienced just that. His son simply did not enjoy what Albion were serving up at the time and we were awful at the time!

You can tell them that it's not just about winning or playing in higher divisions, but if they don't agree there's not much you can do.

And how do you do it for kids whose parents haven't the least interest in football?

obvious: you take the easy 10 option and beat it into them!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
obvious: you take the easy 10 option and beat it into them!

That's funny but it isn't a serious answer to the problem is it? I am as concerned as anyone about the plastic fans situation, but just calling them names doesn't solve anything.

They won't care what anyone calls them. They have chosen to support a team and won't change because 'proper' fans despise them. Even if you hate their reasons, those reasons exist.

How do you change that? My view is that whatever high principles we might have about why one should support a team, many will follow success. I don't like it but don't think that will ever change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here