Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howe to Charlton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Burnely would be ideal. Far rather he goes there than improving Charlton or saving Palace.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but the way I see it, we keep Gus, let all the other clubs around us have their spats, we go up, no problem. Don't worry about what's happening elsewhere!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
well in to day two of the saga and reading the live blog in the Bournemouth Echo it is easy to empathise - just how we would be if Gus were to leave (except the Echo's coverage is vastly superior to its sister paper, the argus)

still no decisions made

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's definitely done a great job at Bmuff, but of course that doesn't mean he'll do the same at Charlton - very different club. At Bmuff he was a former player, there were little or no expectations & very little pressure.

I know that supporters like having former players back as managers but is there any correlation between being a former player and being a good manager?

We've had two former Albion players as managers in my time as a supporter - Nobby Horton was pretty good, Jimmy Case was shocking. Does this prove anything?

I'd love to know if there's been any research on whether former players make better managers or whether (as I suspect) it's totally irrelevant.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I know that supporters like having former players back as managers but is there any correlation between being a former player and being a good manager?

We've had two former Albion players as managers in my time as a supporter - Nobby Horton was pretty good, Jimmy Case was shocking. Does this prove anything?

I'd love to know if there's been any research on whether former players make better managers or whether (as I suspect) it's totally irrelevant.

Dean Wilkins?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

and wilkins was average

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He's definitely done a great job at Bmuff, but of course that doesn't mean he'll do the same at Charlton - very different club. At Bmuff he was a former player, there were little or no expectations & very little pressure. Charlton have just fired their manager despite being in the play-offs. Expectations are way higher, fans will get on the teams back if they're not doing well, and it's all very much a different challenge.

Same could be said for Gus. There's utmost respect for him in the Albion dressing room because of who he is & the playing career he had. If he was to go & manage Chelsea the impact wouldn't be anywhere near as much.

Horses for courses really. In the business world there are CEO's who are hired to take companies to a certain level, and are then replaced when they reach that level. Same for football managers

and wilkins was average

I knew there was another one, my mind went blank for a moment. But yes, Wilkins was average, again, it proves nothing,

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I knew there was another one, my mind went blank for a moment. But yes, Wilkins was average, again, it proves nothing,

I think it makes more difference if the players to be managed where apprentices (or at least supporters of the club) when the returning player (now manager) was in their pomp. If they looked up to the manager as a player, they have instant respect for the manager and will listen to him, do what he says and want to do well to earn praise/recognition. If you've got a load of 'outsiders' in the squad who had no affiliation to the club when the manager was a player at the club, then the effect is watered down considerably. Half (or perhaps more) the battle in modern football seems to be winning the players over to get them to buy into the tactics & training methods of the manager. Poor old Woy at Liverpool being a recent example - I don't think he had much of a chance because the players (and fans) didn't think he was a big enough 'name' for them. He can't have become THAT bad overnight...

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Hats Off To Howe! I'm very pleased he's staying with Bournemouth.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
He's doing an amazing job and should be holding out for a better offer than Charlton or even Palace - he really deserves a Championship side pushing for promotion or even lower Premiership.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
He's doing an amazing job and should be holding out for a better offer than Charlton or even Palace - he really deserves a Championship side pushing for promotion or even lower Premiership.

Lower premiership is a bit much.The jury is still out on him in some ways.

How many times have you seen a manager like Howe who have been successful at a small club fail at a much bigger club in there next move?

I honestly think Charlton or Palace is a sensible move for him.It's a reasonable jump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here