Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howe to Charlton

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Charlton have just been taken over and have money apparently.

I wouldn't be so sure Charlton have any money based on this recent article in the Guardian on 5th Jan, if this is to be believed they look well dodgy and could just be asset strippers or front men for some other crooked enterprise a la Pompey and many others:

Charlton Athletic's new owners are decisive: they sacked the manager Phil Parkinson yesterday within 24 hours of taking control. What else do we know about them?

Well, Charlton's website yesterday described Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater respectively as "an international property developer" and "a lawyer and businessman". The pair hold their interest in Charlton through CAFC Holdings Limited, "a company managed and controlled in Switzerland", though its registration is held in the offshore tax haven of the British Virgin Islands.

Charlton's chairman, Slater, as the club's website explains, began work as a solicitor. Indeed, a Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal in August 2007, although clearing him of the primary allegations, found "the way in which [Slater] conducted himself could well be detrimental to the good reputation of the solicitors' profession as a whole". A spokesman for Slater said yesterday: "Allegations were made and these were 100% rejected by the SDT."

As for Jimenez, the former vice‑president (player recruitment) at Newcastle United, Digger hopes his international property development interests have more life to them than those UK businesses on whose board he has served. Of the 17 UK companies where has been a director, 16 have been dissolved. The 17th is also set to be, either this month or next. "Tony has been a successful businessman in international property over the last 20 years," the spokesman added.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wouldn't be so sure Charlton have any money based on this recent article in the Guardian on 5th Jan, if this is to be believed they look well dodgy and could just be asset strippers or front men for some other crooked enterprise a la Pompey and many others:

Charlton Athletic's new owners are decisive: they sacked the manager Phil Parkinson yesterday within 24 hours of taking control. What else do we know about them?

Well, Charlton's website yesterday described Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater respectively as "an international property developer" and "a lawyer and businessman". The pair hold their interest in Charlton through CAFC Holdings Limited, "a company managed and controlled in Switzerland", though its registration is held in the offshore tax haven of the British Virgin Islands.

Charlton's chairman, Slater, as the club's website explains, began work as a solicitor. Indeed, a Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal in August 2007, although clearing him of the primary allegations, found "the way in which [Slater] conducted himself could well be detrimental to the good reputation of the solicitors' profession as a whole". A spokesman for Slater said yesterday: "Allegations were made and these were 100% rejected by the SDT."

As for Jimenez, the former vice‑president (player recruitment) at Newcastle United, Digger hopes his international property development interests have more life to them than those UK businesses on whose board he has served. Of the 17 UK companies where has been a director, 16 have been dissolved. The 17th is also set to be, either this month or next. "Tony has been a successful businessman in international property over the last 20 years," the spokesman added.

ouch!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Oh dear Charlton

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Latest is that Howe and Tindall are 'considering their futures' this evening, and expect to give the chairman an answer tonight.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I took this to mean that he had already gone.

my apologies - it's how I first heard it that he had rejected CP to go to Charlton but it seems he only went there for talks.
His Chairman has been more concerned about finances than success on the field and is cast in the role of a villain. I'm not so sure tbh as they have been and possibly remain so close to folding. Still it does seem he has stuck his nose in to the playing side which is possibly what has made Howe consider going. Rumour persists that Charlton offered to double his salary and it's not clear that Bournemouth can/will match that either. An interesting night ahead, not forgetting that Burnley could yet put in an offer. Very much in demand is Mr Howe.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that the lure of the compensation which would be quite high, will not encourage the B'muff Chairman to try TOO hard to meet his demands...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think that the lure of the compensation which would be quite high, will not encourage the B'muff Chairman to try TOO hard to meet his demands...

This and I know the phrase "punching above thir weight" has stirred things up a bit but Im sure Bmth have been pleasantly surprised at the season so far. We also all know DK loved receiving a compensation payment or two to balance the books.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
if i was a charlton fan i would be very very concerned about the reasons behind the takeover. looks well dodgy. one of them, michael slater, has been a director of approximately 14 companies, and ALL 14 have gone into insolvency - i think that's correct anyway. and the other one tony jimenez is super dodgy plus he's a complete tool.

couple of bandits in my book.

message to charlton fans... involve yourselfs in the running of your club NOW before these guys have milked you and then walked away with pocket fulls of dirty cash.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
if i was a charlton fan i would be very very concerned about the reasons behind the takeover. looks well dodgy. one of them, michael slater, has been a director of approximately 14 companies, and ALL 14 have gone into insolvency - i think that's correct anyway.

16 out of 17 apparently and the seventeenth is listed to fold next month

Do they still have a fit and proper persons test?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Much as I want him to walk out of Bournemouth, with what he's achieved so far I think he'd be selling himself short if he went to Charlton.

I can't believe Ipswich gave their job to Paul Jewell for starters, surely Howe would have been a perfect fit there. Were they after a cheap option, rather than forking out a load of compensation to a club that actually value their manager? Perhaps he doesn't fancy going as far north as Burnley as that's another one he would seemingly be a shoe in for.

It just doesn't seem like much of a step up, apart from salary wise, for him to join Charlton. Even Palace, much as it pains me to say it, would be a better career move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here