Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howe to Charlton

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm a bit surprised at his decision as Palace are still in with a chance of staying up and have money. According to a Charlton supporting acquaintance of mine Charlton are utterly potless. Has this actually become official yet ? Rochdale have denied an approach from Palace for Keith Hill as well. I would have thought Hughton would be the man for Palace.

Charlton have just been taken over and have money apparently.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Palace have no money to spend, which is why they are after a young/cheap manager. Coppell will be involved with them and they want someone to work with him, almost as coppell being the number 2.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm a bit surprised at his decision as Palace are still in with a chance of staying up and have money. According to a Charlton supporting acquaintance of mine Charlton are utterly potless. Has this actually become official yet ? Rochdale have denied an approach from Palace for Keith Hill as well. I would have thought Hughton would be the man for Palace.

If Hughton has ANY sense, which he has, then he will steer WELL clear of Pal@rse

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So your theory that teams with low gates and wage bill are automatically classed as punching above their weight against the bigger boys? Nothing to do with squad/manager and many other things?

Nope Im saying they are probably still riding on the crest of the promotion of last season, coupled with the fact that they havent probably had any injuries or suspensions so have managed to keep their first choice 11 intact.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Howe won't want to work with Coppell - he will want to take his own number 2 with him wherever he goes - Jason Tindall

Apparently Charlton have offered to double his salary (?) and he is now talking to his chairman whose record of undermining him with players and false promises is probably the reason he is looking at a possible move. All going off on here Live Blog: Eddie Howe latest | Page 24 | Liveblog live blogging
very funny reading - breaking news he has apparently just finished a late breakfast

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
they havent probably had any injuries or suspensions so have managed to keep their first choice 11 intact.

He has lost Pittman and McQuoid sold despite promises to the contrary and no money to get replacements (unsurprising given the mess they were in but still, he was promised........)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry mate i have to disagree about punching above there weight.They have a very good team who are well drilled together.They just sold a player to Millwall and Pittman a while back.They still have a couple of players who would be knocking on our first team door.Players like Pugh and Bartley? They have a quality manager who didn't make wholesale changes in the summer.They have played all the top clubs away from home and have a half decent away record.
They will be up there all season i feel unless Howe goes.Maybe you and others are looking at it as little old Bournemouth to deeply.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but perhaps we have a different understanding of the phrase "punching above their weight".

I take it as meaning a team doing unexpectedly well particularly when you consider their limited resources in comparison with the "better-equipped" teams they are competing with. Its not a slight on them, neither is it claiming them to be lucky. Its a compliment.

Peter Crouch could be described as "punching above his weight" due to him regularly bludgeoning a bird like Abi Clancey. The fact he looks like one of the Bash Street Kids would, you would think, mean he could only procure a bird of munt-like proportions. Yet despite looking like a broken bicycle, he's porked himself a nice bit of crackling (although his wallet will, of course, be a factor here). But in purely aesthetic terms, Crouch, like Bornmuff, is "punching above his weight". And fair play to both of them.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Not great news for us. I always thought Bournemouth would fall away in the end but Charlton are real rivals for promotion and if, IF, Howe gets the job, he will put together their strong push from now to the end of season.

Any new chairman worth their salt would say the club need to be prudent, a basic in chairman law to stop potential clubs hiking their player prices, I dont believe for one moment he wont have money to spend.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How has done a marvellous job at Bournemouth.

Bottom of League Two to the higher echelons of League One in two years, whilst dealing with a transfer embargo and a massive points deduction.

P101 W51 D18 L32

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just to illustrate Easy's point:
7978C95D85E1D1DFE8757A8DEF8C97.jpg

Clancey.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't see why we need to worry about Charlton, regardless of who they have in charge.

We utterly molested them at their place, and despite being down to 10 men for almost the whole game, we were unfortunate not to have beaten them at ours. I've see NOTHING in the Charlton team to suggest they have what it takes to finish in the top 2. Southampton and Huddersfield are far greater threats.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I really don't see why we need to worry about Charlton, regardless of who they have in charge.

We utterly molested them at their place, :lolol:and despite being down to 10 men for almost the whole game, we were unfortunate not to have beaten them at ours. I've see NOTHING in the Charlton team to suggest they have what it takes to finish in the top 2. Southampton and Huddersfield are far greater threats.

Tis true Easy but with Howe at the helm, I see them as a different proposition and will be in the Huddersfield/Southampton mix.

That all said, if we continue to play the way we have in the last 3-4 games, I dont think the opposition will see us we'll be that far away.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

We utterly molested them at their place, and despite being down to 10 men for almost the whole game, we were unfortunate not to have beaten them at ours. I've see NOTHING in the Charlton team to suggest they have what it takes to finish in the top 2. Southampton and Huddersfield are far greater threats.
Southampton nailed on.I'm going for Wednesday and Bournemouth.Hudders will yet again be let down by there awful away record and a manager i don't rate much.
Could Paul Ince sneak into the back door of the play offs with County? I hope not as i can't stand him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So your theory that teams with low gates and wage bill are automatically classed as punching above their weight against the bigger boys? Nothing to do with squad/manager and many other things?
That is precisely it. A club with a better manager and players than those they can reasonably expect given their low gates and subsequent low income can be said to be 'punching above their weight'. We were punching above our weight for the Withdean seasons we spent in the 2nd tier (Championship as it is now)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here