Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Howe to Charlton

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Forgive my total ignorance, but is Eddie related in any way to Don ?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I cant believe Jewell has gone to Ipswich, just seen his press conference,

Every game will be like a cup final
We can build for the future
Get the smile back on the faces
Every player will be have a clean slate

The old cliches are the best!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to that blog, emergency talks are taking place at Dean Court this morning. Can't be helping their preparation for Friday's game though.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I cant believe Jewell has gone to Ipswich, just seen his press conference,

Every game will be like a cup final
We can build for the future
Get the smile back on the faces
Every player will be have a clean slate

The old cliches are the best!

Is there a book of them? Could be useful...and maybe we could start a fund up for managerless clubs, a bit like children who have been abandoned...

And is there an old folk's home where managers go when they are past it (like they have for actors)? Imagine being in the telly-room on a Saturday night if that was the case.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He has performed miracles at Bmuff... TBH, I wish he would go to a Championship club, rather than another rival...

Stumpy Tim

He's definitely done a great job at Bmuff, but of course that doesn't mean he'll do the same at Charlton - very different club. At Bmuff he was a former player, there were little or no expectations & very little pressure. Charlton have just fired their manager despite being in the play-offs. Expectations are way higher, fans will get on the teams back if they're not doing well, and it's all very much a different challenge.

Same could be said for Gus. There's utmost respect for him in the Albion dressing room because of who he is & the playing career he had. If he was to go & manage Chelsea the impact wouldn't be anywhere near as much.

Horses for courses really. In the business world there are CEO's who are hired to take companies to a certain level, and are then replaced when they reach that level. Same for football managers

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He's definitely done a great job at Bmuff, but of course that doesn't mean he'll do the same at Charlton - very different club. At Bmuff he was a former player, there were little or no expectations & very little pressure. Charlton have just fired their manager despite being in the play-offs. Expectations are way higher, fans will get on the teams back if they're not doing well, and it's all very much a different challenge.

Same could be said for Gus. There's utmost respect for him in the Albion dressing room because of who he is & the playing career he had. If he was to go & manage Chelsea the impact wouldn't be anywhere near as much.

Horses for courses really. In the business world there are CEO's who are hired to take companies to a certain level, and are then replaced when they reach that level. Same for football managers

This.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd be happy with Dougie, he's been WAY too good for Albion in the past...:laugh::laugh:

Yes, I also hope you choose Dougie. Much better that you choose someone solely for their 'passion' and Palace links, than get in somebody who is a proven good manager.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think Howe may turn out to be a bit of a one club man. If he does go to Charlton, he may have a very different ownership, fan expectation etc. I would be surprised to see him do as well as he has done at Bournemouth. Not really sure why they got rid of Parkinson at Charlton in the first place.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Yes, I also hope you choose Dougie. Much better that you choose someone solely for their 'passion' and Palace links, than get in somebody who is a proven good manager.

Umm.a few past Albion managers come into that category, don't they? But I take your point.

Truth is, I KNEW Burley was gonna be a disaster. I thought they were stupid to get rid of Paul Hart.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think Howe may turn out to be a bit of a one club man. If he does go to Charlton, he may have a very different ownership, fan expectation etc. I would be surprised to see him do as well as he has done at Bournemouth. Not really sure why they got rid of Parkinson at Charlton in the first place.

My one Charlton-supporting mate from my cricket club HATED him. He said to me before Xmas he wanted to shoot him. Just as well we don't have US gun-licencing laws then.

I think he was joking though, but the way he felt Parkinson was running down the club, particularly the youth system.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Latest Howe odds:
4/6 Burnley Next Permanent Manager
2/5 Charlton Next Permanent Manager
4/11 Crystal Palace Next Permanent Manager
:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here