Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

here is a view words from harty.

Sorry, Buzzer ... you are wrong.

I hadn't "known for some time" that Wilkins would go. The fact that he had survived beyond the end of the season seemed to me to suggest that he had support in high places.

What I had picked up - not from Dick Knight - was that there were feelings in some quarters within the Club that Wilkins should be replaced as manager. To the extent that I was aware of those feelings, it didn't come as a complete surprise when the announcement was made.

I was genuinely surprised, though, to get the text message from the Club's SMS service that Adams was returning.

Hoops Seagull

Nov 17, 2008
Top post

Look it dosen't take a genuis to work it all out

1. Dick Knight dosen't want to keep the team that Dean has built up to dec 2007 - He gets rid of Bas George and Dean Hammond

2. Dick then decides exactly what players HE wants in thinking that it will f*** up Dean Wilkins team

3 Results weren't that great up to end January ( when funnily enough mr Micky Adams leaves colchester)

4. February Dean Wilkins manages to turn things around with the new team that Dick has built and get results

5. March / April Dick can't sack Dean beacuse we are still progressing to playoffs and fans would be in uproar ( even though Micky Adams was playing golf and saying he was coming back to us)

6 We can't get to the playoffs and finish 7th and then in May our Chairman sacks Dean

Now Micky said we will be on for promotion next season - i agree with him - FROM LEAGUE TWO!!!!

how much more of this garbage have we got to endure?????

Seems to be a lot of points here that should be answered truthfully by the Chairman, which I doubt they will be.

How Harty can say Wilkins lost the dressing room in January and should have been sacked by Dick then and Dick should have appointed Adams in January.

Has anyone thought that was the plan but unfortunately for Dick it didn't work out as he planned because Wilkins had the support of the dressing room and with hard work they turned it round to finish 7th.

Adams seems devoid of any ideas, motivational ability and tactics - in short he has no idea what to do. He sounds like a man who has lost the plot and today for whatever reason Harty seem intent on joining him.

As someone who was until recently an Adams fan ( to the degree that he could virtually walk on water) and thought that the SCR phone in was Harty as he was the voice of the fans for the fans I am disappointed to reach the conclusions I have.

At least Harty says what he feels and thinks whether you agree or disagree with him but he is not a turncoat like LB who denies having said anything.

Its a shame that the club seems to apply a silence clause to all the ex managers or perhaps we would learn the truth about DK' involvement ( interference) in the dressing room and in picking the team

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Seems to be a lot of points here that should be answered truthfully by the Chairman, which I doubt they will be.

How Harty can say Wilkins lost the dressing room in January and should have been sacked by Dick then and Dick should have appointed Adams in January.

Has anyone thought that was the plan but unfortunately for Dick it didn't work out as he planned because Wilkins had the support of the dressing room and with hard work they turned it round to finish 7th.

Adams seems devoid of any ideas, motivational ability and tactics - in short he has no idea what to do. He sounds like a man who has lost the plot and today for whatever reason Harty seem intent on joining him.

As someone who was until recently an Adams fan ( to the degree that he could virtually walk on water) and thought that the SCR phone in was Harty as he was the voice of the fans for the fans I am disappointed to reach the conclusions I have.

At least Harty says what he feels and thinks whether you agree or disagree with him but he is not a turncoat like LB who denies having said anything.

Its a shame that the club seems to apply a silence clause to all the ex managers or perhaps we would learn the truth about DK' involvement ( interference) in the dressing room and in picking the team

Interesting last point you make there. I remember disregarding a comment made by Dick Knight that George O'Callaghan would never play for us again after he spoke out about the contracts and so on. Perhaps more can be read into this comment than I initially thought - again not saying that it was the case but the chairman really shouldn't be telling the manager who he can and can't play.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Certain people at Gary Harts testimonial dinner told me something sensational was afoot and if they told me I am sure they told you Ed!!!

Will you ever post something of interest instead of bullshit or look at me threads?

The only things I deny having said are things that I didn't say ... for example, Harty's suggestion that I'd said that Dean Wilkins had "lost told the dressing room" and Buzzer's suggestion that I had known (and had, "apparently", said) that Wilkins was going to be sacked months before Adams was appointed.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Exactly.

And he didn't.
The decision to sack Dean Wilkins and bring Micky Adams back was taken in January/February. I personally was told in February it was going to happen at the end of the season, and to be honest paid absolutely no attention to it, cause I put it down to just another ridiculaous rumours (even though Micky has just quit Colchester). It was only when I saw my "source" again in July and he said, "told you about Adams coming back" that I even remembered the conversation, such as I thought it was just one of those outrageous rumours at the time.

Many on here also know it was done back in January. Wilkins never lost the dressing room, he stood up to Knight over transfer and contracts and wasn't suttle with it.

What annoys me most though, is Adams and Knight both publicly started they wanted Wilkins and Chapman to stay, when both were told quit or be sacked.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm with you on that. The players played for Dean Wilkins. He was popular with most of the players in the squad, even though many on here would have you believe he wasn't. The only players that spoke against were those not in his plans. Certain players that he freed, and Micky in all his wisdom resigned.

It's clear the players are angered by what happened, which is probably the main reason why a much stronger squad is performing much worse under a manager, they see as a backstabber, and not someone to be trusted.

If Wilkins was sacked for losing the dressing room, bear in mind Adams has never had it too lose!

The decision to sack Dean Wilkins and bring Micky Adams back was taken in January/February. I personally was told in February it was going to happen at the end of the season, and to be honest paid absolutely no attention to it, cause I put it down to just another ridiculaous rumours (even though Micky has just quit Colchester). It was only when I saw my "source" again in July and he said, "told you about Adams coming back" that I even remembered the conversation, such as I thought it was just one of those outrageous rumours at the time.

Many on here also know it was done back in January.
Thank you, Mr Burns. If what you say is true, then it was someone else, rather than me, who was the source for the story that is circulating that it was known by February that Wilkins was going to be sacked.

I'm sorry to appear a bit touchy, but what I have been trying to get across is that at no time did Dick Knight tell me what his plans were.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
As to the "losing the dressing room" element of this debate ... it seems to me that DW was very popular with some, but not all, of the occupants of the dressing room. But that wasn't discussed at all by DK in January.

Those that didn't feel they should be dropped or excluded from the team?

Are we still paying some of those freeloaders?

Great debate and somewhere the truth lies about the hatchet job on Wilkins.

Move that to one side what really annoys me is the dis-belief by various over the fact we are now left to scrap a relegation battle.

Sadly this is an unbelieveable step back from 7th last season so someone somewhere has cocked up big time.

The bigger issue is are they man enough to own up to this cock up and put it right ?

Too right - one of the best debate's for some time and so relevant.

Not only is the club in a serious relegation dog fight which the management seem oblivious to, the whole club could self implode.

More and more fans are realising the failings of the current management regime which is taking us in one direction. Even if we avoid relegation, many STH's will have a serious think about re-newing as the quality of the football we are wasting our hard earned cash on is dreadful.

Furthermore it now seems clear that DW went as he stood up to DK in the transfer of players he didn't want to lose - what was wrong in that? End result is the club sacked a good manager and excellent coach - it brought in a dinosaur of a manager - the chairman's reputation is being seriously tarnished and it's choas on the pitch.

This is the time for the Directors to take swift and decisive action or the end result could be a disaster.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey

I think the only "gag" clause is that our club simply aren't good / famous enough for ex managers to sell their stories about the chairman or the dressing room.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry, Buzzer ... you are wrong.

I hadn't "known for some time" that Wilkins would go. The fact that he had survived beyond the end of the season seemed to me to suggest that he had support in high places.

What I had picked up - not from Dick Knight - was that there were feelings in some quarters within the Club that Wilkins should be replaced as manager. To the extent that I was aware of those feelings, it didn't come as a complete surprise when the announcement was made.

I was genuinely surprised, though, to get the text message from the Club's SMS service that Adams was returning.

Sorry LB but if you were genuinely surprised at Adams returning then how do you account for this:

Excellent news!

And I'm not surprised.

http://northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?p=2400112#post2400112

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only things I deny having said are things that I didn't say ... for example, Harty's suggestion that I'd said that Dean Wilkins had "lost told the dressing room" and Buzzer's suggestion that I had known (and had, "apparently", said) that Wilkins was going to be sacked months before Adams was appointed.

That's certainly an interpretation of what I actually have written. I said that I had heard from the inner sanctum myself (long after DW had gone)about DK's conversations about DW. In particular, the January conversation. It wasn't you, it was someone else. I presume that because you were there also that you were party to the conversations and that you had drawn the same conclusions as everyone else.

If that's not the case then apologies from me.

Sorry LB but if you were genuinely surprised at Adams returning then how do you account for this:

Excellent news!

And I'm not surprised.

http://northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?p=2400112#post2400112
I've already answered this, earlier in the thread. But I'll elaborate.

I was expressing my satisfaction that Adams was returning to replace Wilkins as manager. By the time 8 May had come round, I'd heard enough stories about Wilkins' management style (from people other than DK) to reach the conclusion that he should go. The spat with DK over the Hammond contract negotiations was but a small piece of the saga - and in itself had been resolved when Hammond had left for Colchester. During the second half of last season, it seemed to me to be the case that DK and DW had found a way of getting over the issue, but I was still hearing stories (from other people) that led me to believe that DW wasn't managing well. On 8 May, I was therefore pleased to hear that he was losing the role of manager (which I didn't think he was good at) and being offered a coaching role (where his skills would be best used).

The reason I was "not surprised" had nothing to do with me having inside information that Adams was returning. I hadn't been given any hint that this was even likely - despite conversations over the months with several individuals who might have said something (had it been planned for some time), but didn't. My lack of surprise was merely a lack of surprise about Wilkins' removal from the manager's job. If he'd been replaced by Danny Wilson, Steve Coppell or anyone else, I would have said the same thing - "I'm not surprised".

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I've already answered this, earlier in the thread. But I'll elaborate.

I was expressing my satisfaction that Adams was returning to replace Wilkins as manager. By the time 8 May had come round, I'd heard enough stories about Wilkins' management style (from people other than DK) to reach the conclusion that he should go. The spat with DK over the Hammond contract negotiations was but a small piece of the saga - and in itself had been resolved when Hammond had left for Colchester. During the second half of last season, it seemed to me to be the case that DK and DW had found a way of getting over the issue, but I was still hearing stories (from other people) that led me to believe that DW wasn't managing well. On 8 May, I was therefore pleased to hear that he was losing the role of manager (which I didn't think he was good at) and being offered a coaching role (where his skills would be best used).

The reason I was "not surprised" had nothing to do with me having inside information that Adams was returning. I hadn't been given any hint that this was even likely - despite conversations over the months with several individuals who might have said something (had it been planned for some time), but didn't. My lack of surprise was merely a lack of surprise about Wilkins' removal from the manager's job. If he'd been replaced by Danny Wilson, Steve Coppell or anyone else, I would have said the same thing - "I'm not surprised".

And do you still hold the view that it is excellent news LB?

And do you still hold the view that it is excellent news LB?
Let's put it this way ...

If Adams left, I wouldn't be surprised. And, if he stays, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Unlike others, I don't see that the major problem is Adams. We are letting goals in because something is wrong with the defence. When they are pushed back to within 10 yards of the goal, they don't know how to play effectively. They are static and outwitted by opposing forwards. This is a coaching issue, not a tactics issue. If the coaching staff can't get better out of our defenders, there need to be some changes made.

Up front, we haven't been creating enough chances and those we have created haven't being converted into goals. That issue seems to have been addressed by the recent signings. I've been prepared to wait a couple of games, but I've seen enough already to be confident that we will see more goals scored over the rest of the season.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Let's put it this way ...

If Adams left, I wouldn't be surprised. And, if he stays, I wouldn't be surprised either.

Unlike others, I don't see that the major problem is Adams. We are letting goals in because something is wrong with the defence. When they are pushed back to within 10 yards of the goal, they don't know how to play effectively. They are static and outwitted by opposing forwards. This is a coaching issue, not a tactics issue. If the coaching staff can't get better out of our defenders, there need to be some changes made.

Up front, we haven't been creating enough chances and those we have created haven't being converted into goals. That issue seems to have been addressed by the recent signings. I've been prepared to wait a couple of games, but I've seen enough already to be confident that we will see more goals scored over the rest of the season.

Dont disagree with any of that, except surely the coaching ineptness should be put right by Adams/Knight. Its their fault for appointing Laurel and Hardy!

What is this lack of ability to sack White/Booker all about?!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm with you on that. The players played for Dean Wilkins. He was popular with most of the players in the squad, even though many on here would have you believe he wasn't. The only players that spoke against were those not in his plans.

sadly for wilkins some of those players were seen as Albion Legends, so even though they are clearly not good enough for this level anymore this was going to back fire on him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here