Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
Rents is FAR to inexperienced still at present. As I said earlier, to only have Rents and Cobbs (the latter being quite away off joining up with the first-team squad according to someone at the club) leaves the left-back slot hopelessly under-covered. Playing Joel Lynch at left-back is a tragic waste of his excellent talents in the centre of defence.

Incidentally, giving Butters another year is the most obvious shoe-in of a decision Wilkins would have to consider. Effectively, Lynch is the one to make the tackles, do the work and bully the forwards. Butters' role is to mop up - something he does very effectively. I'm over-simplifying, but you see what I mean. What I think Richie was commenting on was what he felt Butters should have been doing, even though what he was really commenting on was Lynch's job. The job for the pair of them was made much easier towards the end of the season with Bertin playing just in front of them so well.

However, Bertin's apparent lack of form for the last three or four games was, for me, down to the fact that he was doing both his job and the role Hammond would have fulfilled, but which was not done so effectively by El-Abd. El-Abd's role next season ought to be what Bertin's role is now - assuming Bertin buggers off.

Next season, I am very much look forward to the central midfield pairing of Hammond and Reid. Assuming they can play somewhere near their best, it should be quite good.

That's one way I see things panning out.

Doctor please help I am agreeing with TLO.

Both Rents and Cobb are not quite ready to be classed as the No 1 left back.

Mayo on most occassions is acceptable but not bad enough to make the signing of a left back a priority.

Butters will continue to educate and bring on Lynch and may even be pushed to hold his place by Hinshlewood, fingers crossed, and in whatever capacity will aid our defence and improve the players around him.

Reid coming back will aid the midfield either with or without Bertin.

The one signing I would make is Steve Fletcher from Bournemouth, although 34 years old he is an experienced workhorse target man that we need to bring out the best in our other young strikers.

Savage holds the ball up well but for me he holds it up for too long and allows defenders to get back.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm hearing that they had no choice but to offer 1 yr contracts to these two, however the new contracts will be in the clubs favour also all the players will now only be offered 1 year deals

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
While I am finding myself in half agreement with tlo again(Must test myself for drugs) I would add that I would start with Rents as first choice left back and see how he does - In my view he would really struggle to do worse than Mayo.
If it does turn out to be the case he isnt ready you have Mayo as back up who can step in.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Complete Badger said:
What I would have done, kinky, is start the season with Rents, and as soon as he was showing signs of tiring or losing form sign a left back on loan for a few months to see us through. Would have been cheaper and meant not seeing Mayo again. It's not like we have noone else that could possibly fill in, ie Reid, Lynch.

Seems like a sensible option, Mine was going on the theroy is is signing. However if the club have to offer him a new contract the person that put that clause in his contract should be shot.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Chicken Run said:
I'm hearing that they had no choice but to offer 1 yr contracts to these two
Isn't that what the argus article says? And what has been speculated on here for months?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Complete Badger said:
Absolutely. As I said last night, you can't blame Mayo and his ineptitude in all this, it's the MORON that drew up his contract at fault.

It just seems naive that a club with little money to play with in the transfer market would tie its hands up with two contracts of this sort.

Its not unrealistic to suggest that these are two new players contracts.

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
Lord Bracknell said:
Has anybody considered the overall benefits that the Club gets by showing loyalty to its staff? I would imagine that this encourages the younger players to want to stay and develop their skills here, rather than rush off to the first place that waves a fifty pound note under their noses.

both have given great service and this sends out a great message to all in and around the club it looks after its own

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Originally posted by Lord Bracknell
Has anybody considered the overall benefits that the Club gets by showing loyalty to its staff? I would imagine that this encourages the younger players to want to stay and develop their skills here, rather than rush off to the first place that waves a fifty pound note under their noses.

Like Harding and Virgo you mean?

This policy hasnt really help attract players has it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:

Have you actually considered trying to improve the squad, so we win games, and the better young players want to stay?

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Most of what is being written on here is a complete load of nonsense. The truth is we don't know for sure if they have even been offered new contracts. We don't know what the terms of their current contracts are, what the terms of their new contracts are should they be offered one, how much they are being paid or how much they are going to be paid. This thread is just a lot of people getting excited about a load of rumour and speculation.

I don't think the club has always spent what little money it has wisely but assuming Hart and Mayo agree contracts that are in line with their age and ability I think both still have something to contribute to the club. Hopefully they can help bring the youngsters on to the stage where they cannot get in the first team themselves each week. When you have the playing budget we have I think there's definitely a case of 'better the devil you know'. We can well do without signing another Dodd or Kitson for their 'experience'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here