Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
We are short on left-backs without him.

Sam Rents and Sonny Cobbs - one, a first-year pro, has only 15-20 games behind him and is way too inexperienced, the other still a fair way off making the first-team squad at all, according to a couple of people at the club. Neither are ready for a prolonged spell with no cover in the first-team.

Plus Mayo can fill in in a cobbled-together midfield should the occasion arise. And Mayo really is a better player than you're making out. Hardly Brighton's best player (that's bleedin' obvious) but to cut him aside completely would be a nightmare scenario.

... or, we could use the wages we save by getting rid of a conference-standard player to get in another experienced LB... a L2 player, any L2 player at LB, would struggle to be slower and a worse passser of the ball than our Kerry... offering him a new contract makes ZERO sense...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Like Harding and Virgo you mean?

This policy hasnt really help attract players has it?
Harding was offered a good contract (as far as the club's standing would allow), but REALLY wanted to go. So loyalty and desire was shown by the Albion.

Virgo was still under contract. £1.5m was just far too tempting for the club to resist. He didn't really want to go, and face it - his career has been a bit of a non-event since he left. Couple more years and we can sign him back again.

I get lost here, is he still a Celtic player or is he with Coventry now?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
The question IS academic. He IS being offered a new contract.

However, is he the 'way forward'? Not necessarily - that burden ought to fall on Sam Rents' shoulders - but he's not ready yet. Given another year or so, he may be. Meanwhile, we'd have to get another left-back who won't be as cheap as Mayo (or Rents) who will want two years minimum. So that's more money than before going down the poo-hole. The short answer to your question is, therefore, not really.

My point is about looking at the longer term and grooming Rents and Cobbs for the first team. In the meantime, Kerry can do the job for the tim being without resorting to traipsing through the availablity lists for another left-back.

Incidentally, Butters' salary is not that big. At least, nowhere near as big as you're implying.

You do not KNOW that we would have to spend more on an alternative, who would struggle to make less contribution than Mayo... you do not KNOW that said LB would insist on 2 years...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
... or, we could use the wages we save by getting rid of a conference-standard player to get in another experienced LB... a L2 player, any L2 player at LB, would struggle to be slower and a worse passser of the ball than our Kerry... offering him a new contract makes ZERO sense...
It makes every sense because (1) he is far, far better than you're making out, and (2) there is no guarantee we could find another decent left-back for the same money.

Anyhoo, the question is academic - he is being offered a new contract, so all his doubters are going to have to lump it, frankly. Your only hope is that he is offered a Championship side to play for like he was at the end of last season, and this time he takes them up on it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
You do not KNOW that we would have to spend more on an alternative, who would struggle to make less contribution than Mayo... you do not KNOW that said LB would insist on 2 years...
Of course I don't KNOW that, but it would make most economic sense to the player in question to insist on two years.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Large One said:
Harding was offered a good contract (as far as the club's standing would allow), but REALLY wanted to go. So loyalty and desire was shown by the Albion.

Virgo was still under contract. £1.5m was just far too tempting for the club to resist. He didn't really want to go, and face it - his career has been a bit of a non-event since he left. Couple more years and we can sign him back again.

I get lost here, is he still a Celtic player or is he with Coventry now?

Still at Celtic and had a season long loan at Coventry.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Jimmy Saville said:
Can't cut it in YOUR opinion. Kerry was a permanent fixture in the side during our best spells this season. I'm fully behind giving a loyal servant another year providing that Rents is giving plenty of opportunity to develop as he is the future.

Kerry is good cover and has experience. Use your head, we're not about to sign a decent left back are we? That costs money and we don't have any.

He is consistently outpaced, his distribution is poor, he is frequently out of position... in summary, he is a liability... why not get someone else in, using the wages we would save by letting him go?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
What do you ever see him do wrong in a game Richie? He's slow but does ne ever get isolated one on one against faster players? Very rarely. Is his positional sense and timing in the air right almost 100% of the time? Yes. He has a great first touch and even tries to get the ball down and play from the back sometimes. I personally am amazed that he's still performing so well but he is and I cant see any reason why he shouldn't be given another year.

Spot on...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think people are forgetting that clauses are legal and binding.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yorkie said:
So do I and so am I.
Why do you and the large one always agree with everything?

Can dick tight do no wrong with you two?mayo is an absolute joke end of,its just typical of this football club.Lets hope knight is prepared for loads of empty seats next season???

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sir albion said:
Why do you and the large one always agree with everything?

Can dick tight do no wrong with you two?mayo is an absolute joke end of,its just typical of this football club.Lets hope knight is prepared for loads of empty seats next season???

Good evening Pete. Still giving your opinion without having seen one game this season?
How are you?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sir albion said:
Seen mayo many times and he was crap then:) Im fine and hope you are:drink: :D

Fine thanks. So your opion (sic) is based on years back? ;)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
Fair enough. I think you are wrong about Kuipers being better than Henderson but football is all about opinions - that is what makes it so interesting to discuss.

Guy has been excellent this season... his positional sense is second to noe...

Henderson was not and will never be better than Kuipers... he kicks well, and that is about it...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Kinky Gerbils said:
Well thats midtable next year, Its a step back.

Which was exactly what DK said he wanted at the Forum.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Complete Badger said:
To be fair, if he hasn't seen Mayo for years then he's got an even better point because Mayo's a lot worse now than he ever was before:lolol:

I know this bloke and he's a wind up merchant. Nsc is his bit of fun. :lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here