Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Icy Gull said:
If Kerry and Hart have performance related rolling contracts can we assume that Guy Butters does as well? If not why not???

Are you sure they are/will be on performance related contracts? Do these even exist? I believe David James recommended the idea a couple of weeks ago, but I doubt anyone is on one.

How would the performance be rated?

Richie could answer too I guess, as he also discussed performance related pay.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I'm not sure Mayo is needed.

Rents can go into the season as first choice, with Cobbs as back up (possibly even pushing to be first choice). Lynch can also play there.

Perhaps this is what will happen the season after.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bad Ash said:
Are you sure they are/will be on performance related contracts? Do these even exist? I believe David James recommended the idea a couple of weeks ago, but I doubt anyone is on one.

I think the idea behind performance related pay is to give players a set wage and reward them for appearances, clean sheets, goals, assists etc.

This already happens to a degree with bonus's for the aforementioned clean sheets etc but I think what James was suggesting was making that part of the wages more significant.

A lot of the sky-high wages suggested by the press are also the POSSIBLE amount someone can earn, not the weekly take home wage.

For example a premiership player who is on £60k a week will only take home £60k if he plays, the team win, he scores, is a current international, the team are in the tope three, does not get booked or sent off etc etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bad Ash said:

badly put, I meant more number of performances rather than the quality

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
If Harty does stay, please let someone else wear the number 9 shirt, such as Nathan Elder.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
RM-Taylor said:
We need a striker as number 9, not a midfielder come defender who hardly ever plays. Also need a new number 10 aswell.
Why?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Richie Morris said:
I think the idea behind performance related pay is to give players a set wage and reward them for appearances, clean sheets, goals, assists etc.

This already happens to a degree with bonus's for the aforementioned clean sheets etc but I think what James was suggesting was making that part of the wages more significant.

A lot of the sky-high wages suggested by the press are also the POSSIBLE amount someone can earn, not the weekly take home wage.

For example a premiership player who is on £60k a week will only take home £60k if he plays, the team win, he scores, is a current international, the team are in the tope three, does not get booked or sent off etc etc.

Why did you specifically mention that Guy would be paid less and had performed badly this season then?

This would effect the whole team quite similarly. I believe Race has mentioned win bonuses in the past so the performance related pay you were refering to already seems to be in effect.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Rougvie said:
BUTTERS is the only decent 'old head' we actually have at the club now, he forms the backbone of the side and has been the main reason that we have matured players like Dan Harding, Adam Virgo, Adam El Abd and now Joel Lynch, its his guidence and experience that has taken those players from kids to decent pro's worth money.

I'm relatively convinced that if we had similar experience of the top level in other departments then our midfield prospects and even more importantly our young strikers may have matured from spotty little nobody's who like to act the big man in town on a Saturday night into players that made a season long contribution.

totally the post of the day - save the the revelation that Richie is earning HUGE MAHUSIVE money as a Journalist. It must be true, I read it on NSC!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Both players are around the 30 y.o. mark. I suspect the decision to offer them 1 year deals is as much about retaining their experience as it is about their playing abilities.

Charlie's career looks to be over and Butters is not getting any younger. Take those 2 out of the equation and we've got very little outfield experience.

Personally, I'm content with the Hart deal but Mayo did not have a good season and gives away far too many fouls inside and around the penalty area.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
fatboy said:
I'm not sure Mayo is needed.

Rents can go into the season as first choice, with Cobbs as back up (possibly even pushing to be first choice). Lynch can also play there.

Perhaps this is what will happen the season after.
Rents is FAR to inexperienced still at present. As I said earlier, to only have Rents and Cobbs (the latter being quite away off joining up with the first-team squad according to someone at the club) leaves the left-back slot hopelessly under-covered. Playing Joel Lynch at left-back is a tragic waste of his excellent talents in the centre of defence.

Incidentally, giving Butters another year is the most obvious shoe-in of a decision Wilkins would have to consider. Effectively, Lynch is the one to make the tackles, do the work and bully the forwards. Butters' role is to mop up - something he does very effectively. I'm over-simplifying, but you see what I mean. What I think Richie was commenting on was what he felt Butters should have been doing, even though what he was really commenting on was Lynch's job. The job for the pair of them was made much easier towards the end of the season with Bertin playing just in front of them so well.

However, Bertin's apparent lack of form for the last three or four games was, for me, down to the fact that he was doing both his job and the role Hammond would have fulfilled, but which was not done so effectively by El-Abd. El-Abd's role next season ought to be what Bertin's role is now - assuming Bertin buggers off.

Next season, I am very much look forward to the central midfield pairing of Hammond and Reid. Assuming they can play somewhere near their best, it should be quite good.

That's one way I see things panning out.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here