Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Richie Morris said:

All I did was post my opinions on Guy. Nothing wrong with that.

You are more than entitled to have your opinions of him, just like everyone else does, and I'm sure there are plenty who would agree with you just as much as disagree. I just dont like the way you imply certain things sometimes.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lord B, I was discussing the future of a professional footballer - the same thing EVERYONE else is doing on this thread about, funnily enough, contracts for professional footballers.

You widened it to include sarcastic digs about my job because you feel it undermines my argument.

Fair enough.

And Race, I don't mean any offence. I don't know Guy personally so make no judgements on him as a person.
I am a fan who pays for my season ticket and so am entitled to have opinions on his playing performance as I am sure you agree.

If he stays I will get behind him like I do each game I watch. I just won't agree with the decision.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
BUTTERS is the only decent 'old head' we actually have at the club now, he forms the backbone of the side and has been the main reason that we have matured players like Dan Harding, Adam Virgo, Adam El Abd and now Joel Lynch, its his guidence and experience that has taken those players from kids to decent pro's worth money.

I'm relatively convinced that if we had similar experience of the top level in other departments then our midfield prospects and even more importantly our young strikers may have matured from spotty little nobody's who like to act the big man in town on a Saturday night into players that made a season long contribution.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Having spoken to a few players at Seagulls Over London a few have mentioned Guy and he's looked up by the younger players.

Rather than his career being helped or "extended" due to them, perhaps the reality is the other way round.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and "McShane, Hinsh and now Lynch have added YEARS onto his career." is a f***ing stupid thing to post.

On the other hand

"BUTTERS is the only decent 'old head' we actually have at the club now, he forms the backbone of the side and has been the main reason that we have matured players like Dan Harding, Adam Virgo, Adam El Abd and now Joel Lynch, its his guidence and experience that has taken those players from kids to decent pro's worth money."

isnt..

Last edited:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Ok just read through the entire thread and came up with a few points that haven't been mentioned. (sorry for the length)

Someone brought up the fact that RB is more of a priority than LB, I agree. Who are we expecting to play there next year?

Rehman - what are the chances of signing him permanently, he likes the club and is loyal, better at RB than CB.

Reid - could play there when fit, but would prefer to see him in midfield.

El-Abd - could do the job at RB but Wilkins spent much time this year playing him in midfield.

This year we had Lynch as a breakthrough player who became, along with Guy Butters, the core of our defence. Are we expecting a player such as Rents, or Elphick to make this leap next year? I think thats a big ask but if anyone I think it will be Rents at LB, with Elphick coming on as a sub for either CB. Perhaps with Butters getting even older he might appreciate some rest, but has shown no signs of needing it.

Consider that we have much more depth at LB than RB, becasue our centrebacks are oriented to the left side. Lynch could play there if necessary, and neither play on the right.

Hinsh's fitness is definitely an issue, and also if Hart is getting a new contract, he COULD be converted to a RB again but I feel his skill (crossing the ball) would be better suited on Right Wing and allow Bertin to play his proper position.

LB
Rents
(Cobbs/Mayo)

CB
Lynch
Butters
(Hinsh/Elphick)

RB
El-Abd
(Reid) (NO chance of signing Whing, he is a class above)

I feel Mayo is good to keep as cover but definitely we should be looking to another defensive option. Hart will still contribute to the first team but it depends on how Wilkins uses him. He is versitile which is great, but we do have other players who can cross the ball, Rents, Cox, and god-forbid Frutos (an entirely different issue, would love to keep him but seems he will be on his way out).

Again we need a player improvement in all areas of the pitch: :jester:
a RB/LB, a midfielder, an experienced goal scoring striker, and a goalkeeper. The summer should be an interesting period, but I have faith in Wilkins...look at his signings so far!

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
seagull4life said:
Ok just read through the entire thread and came up with a few points that haven't been mentioned. (sorry for the length)

Someone brought up the fact that RB is more of a priority than LB, I agree. Who are we expecting to play there next year?

Rehman - what are the chances of signing him permanently, he likes the club and is loyal, better at RB than CB.

Reid - could play there when fit, but would prefer to see him in midfield.

El-Abd - could do the job at RB but Wilkins spent much time this year playing him in midfield.

This year we had Lynch as a breakthrough player who became, along with Guy Butters, the core of our defence. Are we expecting a player such as Rents, or Elphick to make this leap next year? I think thats a big ask but if anyone I think it will be Rents at LB, with Elphick coming on as a sub for either CB. Perhaps with Butters getting even older he might appreciate some rest, but has shown no signs of needing it.

Consider that we have much more depth at LB than RB, becasue our centrebacks are oriented to the left side. Lynch could play there if necessary, and neither play on the right.

Hinsh's fitness is definitely an issue, and also if Hart is getting a new contract, he COULD be converted to a RB again but I feel his skill (crossing the ball) would be better suited on Right Wing and allow Bertin to play his proper position.

LB
Rents
(Cobbs/Mayo)

CB
Lynch
Butters
(Hinsh/Elphick)

RB
El-Abd
(Reid) (NO chance of signing Whing, he is a class above)

I feel Mayo is good to keep as cover but definitely we should be looking to another defensive option. Hart will still contribute to the first team but it depends on how Wilkins uses him. He is versitile which is great, but we do have other players who can cross the ball, Rents, Cox, and god-forbid Frutos (an entirely different issue, would love to keep him but seems he will be on his way out).

I go along with most of that.

I too would like to see a right back come in, at times some of the midfield players have needed a rest and Reid being back will allow this

Again we need a player improvement in all areas of the pitch:
a RB/LB, a midfielder, an experienced goal scoring striker, and a goalkeeper. The summer should be an interesting period, but I have faith in Wilkins...look at his signings so far!

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
would be perfect to sign Whing, I just think he will hold down a starting place in the Championship next year.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Apparently WALSALL are after him so I suppose it will depend on if he wants to move.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Absolute joke. Mayo and Hart have their time at this club, and should move on. Instead of being giving a one year contract! If Charlie Oatway gets a playing contract, I might just go nuts. He will never be the same again.

I now fear, what might happen next season...................

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Rougvie said:
BUTTERS is the only decent 'old head' we actually have at the club now, he forms the backbone of the side and has been the main reason that we have matured players like Dan Harding, Adam Virgo, Adam El Abd and now Joel Lynch, its his guidence and experience that has taken those players from kids to decent pro's worth money.

I'm relatively convinced that if we had similar experience of the top level in other departments then our midfield prospects and even more importantly our young strikers may have matured from spotty little nobody's who like to act the big man in town on a Saturday night into players that made a season long contribution.

Hard to argue with that.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Basil Fawlty said:
Absolute joke. Mayo and Hart have their time at this club, and should move on. Instead of being giving a one year contract! If Charlie Oatway gets a playing contract, I might just go nuts. He will never be the same again.

I now fear, what might happen next season...................

What if he gets a player/coach contract?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here