Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Richie Morris said:
Even Paul Reid would do a better job there as he has in previous seasons (although I would like him in midfield when back fit).
No doubt he'll be released though as he's right footed, plus we may not be able to afford him due to loyalty contracts.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Richie Morris said:

McShane, Hinsh and now Lynch have added YEARS onto his career.

Little unfair there I think. There's no doubt Guy needs more pacey and fit players like that to play with but equally they need experienced players like Guy who can read the game so well and advise them on positioning etc I think its pretty balanced especially with Lynch, both players need each other and make a good partnership despite the fact they are both left footed.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Mayo has been totally out of his depth this season and is in danger of clinging on to long to the sentiment that some of us 'older' fans feel for him. I am looking forward to his testimonial, but that should be it.

Its valuble wages that could be spent on BETTER players.

Gary Hart however still has something to offer with his experience and determination and never say die attitude that a few of the youngsters should take on board, another year for him I dont have a problem with.

Yoda

English & European
Ok. To all the shortsighted prats on here.

Let’s not offer Mayo a new deal, make a breach of CONTRACT and get sued for more than what it’s worth.

:dunce:

All Naylor has had to done for this story is ask the players, or someone close to them, if it was true that they had these clauses. From that, he can work out whether or not they are due a new contract.

I'm too am glad that both are staying, both have the experience and character to fight for their places if they aren't in the squad, something else that the youngsters could learn from if they get dropped. At the stage they are now, without that to look up too, they may just give up like some of our previous youngsters.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Richie Morris said:
If Guy had a performance related clause in his contract - i.e. one that rewarded him for GOOD performances - he would get paid less because he has not had many GOOD performances this season.

McShane, Hinsh and now Lynch have added YEARS onto his career.

That's more like it, I just knew you were just dying to have a dig and wondered why you were pissballing about.

That's your opinion and if that's what you think then good for you. If he gets rewarded with a new deal next week then it will because the manager and chairman think he has done GOOD this past season, so we'll wait and see.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Race said:
That's more like it, I just knew you were just dying to have a dig and wondered why you were pissballing about.

That's your opinion and if that's what you think then good for you. If he gets rewarded with a new deal next week then it will because the manager and chairman think he has done GOOD this past season, so we'll wait and see.

It doesn't even bear thinking about that Kerry Mayo gets a new contract due to some stupid clause in his contract at the expense of Guy Butters :nono:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Race said:

well said Race:lolol: :clap: :clap:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not dying to have a dig at all. I would LOVE Butters to be as good as some people on here think he is.

Do you not think you are little bias in this debate? Do you actually watch him play?

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Richie Morris said:
Not dying to have a dig at all. I would LOVE Butters to be as good as some people on here think he is.

Do you not think you are little bias in this debate? Do you actually watch him play?

What do you ever see him do wrong in a game Richie? He's slow but does ne ever get isolated one on one against faster players? Very rarely. Is his positional sense and timing in the air right almost 100% of the time? Yes. He has a great first touch and even tries to get the ball down and play from the back sometimes. I personally am amazed that he's still performing so well but he is and I cant see any reason why he shouldn't be given another year.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
sir danny cullip said:
What do you ever see him do wrong in a game Richie? He's slow but does ne ever get isolated one on one against faster players? Very rarely. Is his positional sense and timing in the air right almost 100% of the time? Yes. He has a great first touch and even tries to get the ball down and play from the back sometimes. I personally am amazed that he's still performing so well but he is and I cant see any reason why he shouldn't be given another year.
:clap: good post :clap:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Firstly, he RARELY plays it out from defence - favouring the big left boot into the corner instead.

Secondly, he is actually quite poor in the air now. Having become slightly obsessed by his performances this season I spend a lot of the game watching him. He wins less than half his challenges and when he does, he heads the ball up, across goal (a la West Ham away) or straight out.

As an experienced player he is nowhere near vocal enough on the pitch and his pace is embarrasing.

He does not get skinned very often because, quite simply, he is not normally near enough his man for people to realise he is meant to be marking him.

He has stopped being a threat at set pieces and is always the LAST person back when teams break from our corners or free-kicks.

His positional play is good but sadly too often his body is no longer able where the mind is still willing.

I have nothing against him personally, he is probably a lovely bloke etc etc BUT we could do better than him.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Richie Morris said:

You constantly make digs about him on here about him being rubbish or whatever but that is your opinion and not everyone elses. If he wasnt that good he would have been quite easily binned off ages ago, and if you think other players are the ones to thank for his prolonged career then you are not going to be convinced otherwise. At the end of the day whether I watch him play or not, I think what he has achieved in the game in 20 years speaks for itself, but then again I am biased!

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I disagree totally but o well. He doesn't jump that high but its his timing that means he is spot on in the air most of the time. He is not vocal but I think thats something that is very hard to teach to a player, youre either a Danny Cullip or a Guy Butters but both characters command a similar respect among young players. We saw while Butters was injured that a partnership with Lynch and another younger player was nowhere near as effective. He just adds stability, no doubt there are similar players available this summer but Im sure they'd want a two year contract and much higher wages.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Has anybody considered the overall benefits that the Club gets by showing loyalty to its staff? I would imagine that this encourages the younger players to want to stay and develop their skills here, rather than rush off to the first place that waves a fifty pound note under their noses.

Stop being sensible :rolleyes:

Glad Hart has been offered another year as he always shows passion and commitment, he should have figured more this season in my eyes.

Mayo for me is different, as an employer I guess it is hard to show someone the door on there 10 year testimonial. But
hopefully he can give more off field than he can on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here