Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Finchley Seagull said:
I think we have to be realistic here. Until we get Falmer there is not going to be the mass clear out that some people seem to want. With Kerry Mayo staying and hopefully Sam Rents and Sonny Cobbs signing up we will be okay at left back while Gary Hart provides great cover across the pitch and I would argue is still the best crosser at the club. This would leave Dean Wilkins able to use our budget (which is not massive) to bring in the players we really need - a right back, centre forward who will score 20+ goals and maybe a centre half or central midfielder.

People who complain about Mayo and Hart staying should probably accept that we are unlikely to get anyone better to replace them if they did leave.

I disagree. Clubs have already been released players FAR better than the ones we have. They wont ALL find clubs for next season.

Hart best crosser? Have you not seen some of Rents and Cox's delivery?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I think we should give Hart another year. As someone said, he is probably one of the best crossers at the club and he can still do a job, I reckon.
Signing on Mayo for another year just seems a decision completely based on sentimentality for me. I've watched a fair few games this season (mainly at home) involving Mayo and whilst he has looked competent at times, he has also looked an embarrassment at others (Oldham, for example). I don't care if he 'helps nurture the younger players', we should get someone else experienced in with the reported 'bigger transfer budget' that Wilkins is going to get. As someone else also said, we need to get rid of players like Mayo for the club to move forward, in my opinion.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Les Biehn said:
Wages better spent elsewhere easily. At least signing a LB on loan for the season until Rents is ready for a full season would be better than resigning a player who can't cut it.

Can't cut it in YOUR opinion. Kerry was a permanent fixture in the side during our best spells this season. I'm fully behind giving a loyal servant another year providing that Rents is giving plenty of opportunity to develop as he is the future.

Kerry is good cover and has experience. Use your head, we're not about to sign a decent left back are we? That costs money and we don't have any.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Icy Gull said:
If Kerry and Hart have performance related rolling contracts can we assume that Guy Butters does as well? If not why not???

No he doesnt. Personally I think those sort of clauses add more pressure all round so I'm glad he hasnt got one!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Jimmy Saville said:
Can't cut it in YOUR opinion. Kerry was a permanent fixture in the side during our best spells this season. I'm fully behind giving a loyal servant another year providing that Rents is giving plenty of opportunity to develop as he is the future.

Kerry is good cover and has experience. Use your head, we're not about to sign a decent left back are we? That costs money and we don't have any.

How do you know we couldn't get a LB in who would do a better job than Mayo?

You say its my opinion but to be honest saying Mayo has looked awful for a bout 2 years now is a bit like saying its just my opinion but the Titanic getting a bit to close to that Iceberg was a bad idea.

I think what is happening here is the reverse of the so called 'Anti Mayo Brigade'. People who are so Pro Mayo they can't see the need to actually release him for the good of the squad. Their only argument seem to be that he is a good club man. Well great, I'm sure there are plenty others on the non playing side who are but you wouldn't offer them playing contracts.

He has experience but so do Kuipers, Hart, Butters, Reid, Hammond and Bertin. Who knows who else we will sign.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Race said:
No he doesnt. Personally I think those sort of clauses add more pressure all round so I'm glad he hasnt got one!

But did he have the choice? Not sure how it adds more pressure unless you mean that the manager might think twice about playing players on a contract like that during the season, just to keep them on their toes or give the club an out if another player, on lower wages was doing an adequate job? :)

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I have never never understood the scorn shown towards Kerry on here. While he will never be a world beater, he never ever gives less than 100% for us.

I reckon a lot of you lot must wear blinkers and only see it when he makes a mistake!!! Plenty of other players make exactly the same mistakes & i dont see them being dragged over the coals every time their name is brought up :angry:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
One can only hope the FARCE of contracts for appearances is in its last year now.

You can have a player that plays shit game after game and a player that sets the world alight and can earn you a hefty transfer fee but you can only afford to keep one on, well seeing the shit guy has a contract clause we'll have to release the good guy.

:nono: :nono:

Last edited:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Rents should be first choice now, he has had 20 or so games experience now, is great at set pieces. Strengthen up in the summer and he should be great

Cobbs is massive for a young kid, and probably the best left back at the club, but as he hasnt had a sniff of 1st team action yet, he cannot be number 1 choice

Mayo has been great, and can do a job, but he is not good enough to be first choice as sometimes he has trouble passing to players on our team or keeping the ball on the pitch

Dont forget we also have 2 more left footed defenders at the club in Lynch and Butters

Left back is not a priority, but right back is - as Mayo proved he cannot play there

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Icy Gull said:
But did he have the choice? Not sure how it adds more pressure unless you mean that the manager might think twice about playing players on a contract like that during the season, just to keep them on their toes or give the club an out if another player, on lower wages was doing an adequate job? :)

He was never offered a clause (he's never had any clauses in his contracts of any kind) and not sure if he would have wanted it if he had been. By pressure I also meant that if he had got injured knowing he needed to play more games it adds extra pressure to get back playing and maybe coming back before ready just to get them games, as well as what you have mentioned. It's certainly nothing to with money as someone else has implied on here.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Richie Morris said:
If he was paid based on the quality of his performance...

I'm not quite getting what you are implying here. Are you saying that players with clauses dont get paid much or that Guy is paid more because he doesnt have a clause?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Rents
Cobbs
Lynch

ALL better left- backs.

Even Paul Reid would do a better job there as he has in previous seasons (although I would like him in midfield when back fit).

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Race said:
I'm not quite getting what you are implying here. Are you saying that players with clauses dont get paid much or that Guy is paid more because he doesnt have a clause?

If Guy had a performance related clause in his contract - i.e. one that rewarded him for GOOD performances - he would get paid less because he has not had many GOOD performances this season.

McShane, Hinsh and now Lynch have added YEARS onto his career.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Mayo is no doubt a really lovely guy etc etc etc and I also (unlike some others) can see the benefit of having such a model pro in the ranks for the younger players to look up to.

The plus points of having mayo in the side is that he is more physical than rents, he is better in the air and doesn't get shoved off the ball enough although rents has certainly improved in this and is no longer a push over.

The negative points are that Kerry often gets done for pace, as shown particularly at Brentford this year causing him to get sent off. He constantly gives the ball away, I understand left back is often a hard position for keeping posession when under pressure but he lumps the ball down the line towards no one way too often for my liking.

Fair play to him if the club have offered him an automatic contract for this season based on appearances, for whatever reason. I personally think its an awful decision and Sonny Cobbs who has been youth team captain for a long while now hasnt even had a sniff, doesnt look like he'll be getting one for the next year now either.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is not a slur against Hart or Mayo who have both done well at the club.

However I do think this says alot about the clubs ambition next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here