Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hart AND Mayo set to be offered new deals

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Why do you think the attendances will go down? I know your reasons for thinking that but are you so sure they will drop dramatically?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All the special offers brought the kids in. Since Christmas our attendances have stayed around the 5000 mark even when we haven't won a game at home for goodness knows how long.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There could be many 'what ifs'
A bit pointless talking about them until they happen.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
It makes every sense because (1) he is far, far better than you're making out, and (2) there is no guarantee we could find another decent left-back for the same money.

Anyhoo, the question is academic - he is being offered a new contract, so all his doubters are going to have to lump it, frankly. Your only hope is that he is offered a Championship side to play for like he was at the end of last season, and this time he takes them up on it.

Please elaborate.. which CCC side offered him a contract? If they did, they clearly had no ability to judge a player... I stand by my earlier comments...

He is a complete liability... too slow, can't pass, continually out of position... a new contract makes ZERO sense... now, Butters is slow, but his positional sense compensates for this shortcoming, so he deserves a new contract...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Of course I don't KNOW that, but it would make most economic sense to the player in question to insist on two years.

Possibly, it would depend on the player's circumstances, which club he was leaving, etc...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
BECAUSE HE WOULD SUE THE CLUB'S ARSE OFF - AND WIN.

So, offer him the lowest possible wages you can under the offending clause, and beg him not to sign... whoever put that clause in, as has been said earlier, is a MORON...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
I think people are forgetting that clauses are legal and binding.

... well, I am not... what you need to add to that list, in this case, is 'extremely foolish'... the question should be 'who was stupid enough to add the offending clause?'

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Which was exactly what DK said he wanted at the Forum.

The chairman wants us to take a step backwards?! You must have misheard him...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Complete Badger said:
Because over the last 18 months the club have allowed a huge amount of apathy to build up among the supporters. Season ticket renewals, I presume, will be down, so there's less 'guaranteed' bums on seats next season right from the start. If we start badly, on the back of no significant signings, then where on earth will the inspiration for people to buy tickets come from? Realistically, I think there's 4,000 people who will go no matter what, but if we are struggling and things get as bad/worse than they have been this season, I can easily see there being not many more.

Which brings us to the reason why we need to freshen-up the squad and offload awful players like Mayo... that clause in his contact is a fcuking disgrace... but I'm sure TLO and Yorkie will find some rationale for it...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
B.W. said:
The chairman wants us to take a step backwards?! You must have misheard him...
Already confirmed by someone else on this thread.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
Already confirmed by someone else on this thread.

Very, very stupid thing to say, IMHO... there has to be some belief in the fans that the team can do well... another DK blunder, IMHO...

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The performance thing in contracts is nothing new Nathan Jones had one, as did (although i'm not 100% sure) Chris McPhee.

Its supposed to reward loyalty, although its an extremely hard balance to strike when the club is caught in such a pre falmer catch 22 situation when as a result of the club wanting to be loyal, they get lumbered with a player who is just a year or two past his best at this level, although from what I gather its not a blank cheque, and if its like players who have had this in the past, the club are able to negotiate a lower wage in the final year.

I've said on this thread that Mayo is taking up wages for vital signings, I'm also just a tad concerned that he (and this is purely hearsay) doesnt seem to have the same influence as Butters, Oatway and even Chippy had on the younger players, so to keep him just for that reason doesnt seem to hold an arguement. However if he does take a wage cut as a reserve player (because that is the standard he now finds himself in) I wouldnt grudge the guy another year if it frees up just that little bit more money that could mean the diference in getting someone good in.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Why is everyone assuming Mayo is on (relatively) big money. He's never linked with other clubs, he's not been first choice in any position for quite a few seasons and he doesn't play in a "glamour" position.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Voroshilov said:
Why is everyone assuming Mayo is on (relatively) big money. He's never linked with other clubs, he's not been first choice in any position for quite a few seasons and he doesn't play in a "glamour" position.

Blackpool?

I think the promotion add ons would see his wage rise, but like you suggest most are guessing.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The question I have to ask is whether Mayo would get into any other League 1 side or indeed whether any of our rivals would want him, even on a free. I doubt it very much.

:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here