Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think that analysis is quite right on Chelsea. For the really successful teams, it isn't 'win the league, then where do you go from here?' It is continuing to win stuff season in, season out like Liverpool did, United do, and Chelsea are starting to.

IF this offer is floated, it'll be a very tough call for Gus. For him, the pros will be a huge salary, something we could never match; going to a club he loves and where he will be instantly welcomed; the chance to work with better players, and be involved in the biggest games; even at No2, a very high profile - we'd see more of him on TV; almost a shoo-in for another top Championship or lower-ranking Prem job in the future.

The cons would be leaving an excellent work in progress; letting down a bloke who gave him a chance and a decent platform; not being the final decision-maker; no realistic prospect of actually succeeding Ancelotti; Abramovich may get bored and do one; he will get a Premier League No1 job soon if he keeps going the way he is.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I would still maintain that climbing Everest when no one has done it before is more 'noteworthy' than organising the following six successful attempts. Bill Shankly is still the most revered Liverpool manager even though Paisley won more than him.

Hence I hope that Gus feels that he can get more 'bang for his buck' here for the next few years, and then move on to the big job. Of course I could be wrong and the immediate lure of a massive salary, top players and CL football may prove too strong.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
simply dont see its going to happen and if "sources" are saying so its probably to wind you up or revel the source of leaks.

he's done assistant. he's done assistant at a premiership club. he's had one year of managment which is still very much a project in progress. why leave?

£££££££..mind you a FIGHT between a Russian oligarch and an Oz celeb...both Jewish though. Maybe the rabbi'll sort things out.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
My 2 pence worth is, if as you have argued so rigorously chelsea are talking to Bloom today and the announcement is tomoro then what are you hoping its not true for, it all seems pretty set in stone(according to yourself)

2ndly the madrid link actually worries me abit, suggests that its widely know that Gus is an excellent no.2

Lastly I believe that you have been told this info by ur "sources" but they've got it wrong, so hopfully come tomoro Gus will still be here and you'll only have a short ban:thumbsup:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Not sure I'd trust any source that would spill that sort of info. I'm sure many on here are privy to some info on the club that we wouldn't discuss due to wanting to protect the clubs position, or for professional reasons, and the matter that you might get fired. So would question mark anyone who blagged as they're not likely to have any links to the top- sure Tony wouldn't appreciate it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
how come poyet is ruling himself out of the chelsea job if you are correct?

Did you see Gus say it on Skysports Chappers? or was it the sky presenter who said it?

I have just scoured the skysports website and they no mention of it at all???

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Assistant manager to manager, achieves nothing then goes back to being an assistant manager. I think not.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
"I have great affection for Chelsea, but I am a No. 1 now and there is no going back," Poyet told Sky Sports News. "I have enjoyed making decisions and do not want to be a No. 2 again."

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I am sure there is something in what the original poster stated, and that Poyet has been sounded out, and perhaps made an offer.

Now maybe the original 'sources' believed he would accept, or that 'Chelsea always get their man, so it's a done deal'...

Worst case is that Chelsea massively up their offer after hearing Gus turn them down. At some point the offer would be unrefusable, but we know Gus is a man of principle...

Wouldn't like to call this one...

???

But whatever happens... :amex: :amex: :amex:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I just heard this from my source..

"I have great affection for Chelsea, but I am a No. 1 now and there is no going back... I have enjoyed making decisions and do not want to be a No. 2 again."

...It was Poyet on the tele.

I'm prepared to bet that Poyet WILL go to Chelsea, not as Assistant Manager but as Manager.

But not yet.

Either in a few years time if Ancelotti stays, or if he goes this season Chelsea will appoint another big name. And in time Gus will take over from him.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Enjoy your ban if not true! :thumbsup:

Springal, whatever has happened about the right to the free speech that was highlighted in another post on this forum. Tell you what, I'll leave it there for now, only relaying FACTS. How many managers have you heard say, not interested in that job etc, etc, blah, blah, and lo and behold (said manager lands said job).

Wake up and smell the coffee mate if they are prepared to double his money, which they easily can then its Adiós. As I have always stated on this thread I hope i'm so wrong !!

Porky Pie, the school bells ringing mate, enjoy your lunch, run along now !

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Yes guilty as charged, true blue gunner gooner super chelse me! :wozza:

Get a grip! Adams left us to go and be number 2 at Leicester now that is questionable if it's a step up. Going to the current premier league champions in any role is a step up for loads of reasons but the main two are:

Money, like it or not money talks and he's probably earning about the same as the kit man at Chelsea currently. If someone offers to quadruple your salary you're not going to say no are you!

Chance at the big time, Gus knows he's got to serve his apprenticeship in the management game. Regardless of what you think about us we are not a big club....Chelsea are! Even being number 2 at Chelsea is going to put him in the spotlight more than Brighton will currently.

I'm sorry but you are talking complete tosh (and it seems from the other posts that followed your above comments I'm not alone in thinking that).

Adams left cos he was promised to be Leicester manager at the end of that current campaign, and we had no guarantee of Falmer or any sort of secure future back then and he was frustrated with the lack of funds and facilities - totally different cicumstance

Being a number 2 at a club like Chelsea is nowhere near as big a coup as being no 1 here - how was Wilkins been "in the spotlight" as you say more than Gus in recent months? Ray Wilkins has far less cred than Gus in the current climate on the back of being a number 2 compared to the headlines Gus is making as a no1, Gus has already been no2 at Spurs, and he has already turned down a far bigger number 2 role in Spain so all that indicates you are talking rubbish I'm afraid.

Edit: It also seems that Gus publically agrees with this now :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here