Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The fact he's had to rule himself out of the job and all the sports websites are quoting him are testament to the fact he's very likely to have been on the shortlist, so this IS anything but bollocks.

There are any other number of ex-Chelsea players with management experience who could have been touted for the job, but you don't see the likes of Zola, Vialli, Gullit or Steve Clarke ruling themselves out of the job on SkySports.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact he's had to rule himself out of the job and all the sports websites are quoting him are testament to the fact he's very likely to have been on the shortlist, so this IS anything but bollocks.

as always with managerial appointments though, there is the media's shortlist (ie everyone out of work, potentially out of work, played for the club, played for the previous manager, played in the park with the cleaners kids when they were at school) and then there is the actual club's shortlist.

i wonder which of these Gus was on?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

There are any other number of ex-Chelsea players with management experience who could have been touted for the job, but you don't see the likes of Zola, Vialli, Gullit or Steve Clarke ruling themselves out of the job on SkySports.

unemployed managers dont have daily news conferences/post match conferences.

this is why they dont get asked the question.

employed managers do.

its very simple really.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I haven't read the rest of this thread, but why do you continue to attempt to start rubbish rumours, when people closer to the club than yourself (ie Naylor) write the complete opposite. First about LuaLua not coming back, when apparently Hughton is happy for him to do so, and then this. There is no way Gus will take an assistant managers job.

I don't believe for a second that your 'sources' have any real insider information, if you have any sources at all. It would not have been difficult to find out about LuaLua's injury.

Took 2 days after posting the news on here for AN to react. Think you may have answered your own question. :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
unemployed managers dont have daily news conferences/post match conferences.

this is why they dont get asked the question.

employed managers do.

its very simple really.

I've seen the likes of Paul Jewell, Alan Curbishley and Phil Brown rule themselves out of jobs they've been linked with.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've seen the likes of Paul Jewell, Alan Curbishley and Phil Brown rule themselves out of jobs they've been linked with.

Quite. Though with hindsight, they might be wishing they hadn't...those top offers haven't exactly continued to flood in. Curbishley, in particular, seems to think he's only going to come back for a top-half Premier League team. He's dreaming.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only reservation I have in saying that this story is a load of bollocks is that I laughed like a drain at the poster who first said that Virgo was off to Celtic......

However breaking the news re Lua Lua, which must have been common news around the club at the time is very very different to having high level inside knowledge about talks between TB and Chelsea. If true, someone will be losing their jobs as I doubt it will be that be difficult to find the mole in this situation. The thread starter either has very very good contacts at the club or is winging it, we'll soon know.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

"The former Blues midfielder, 43, has been linked with the role following Wilkins' controvesial departure from Stamford Bridge last week.

But Poyet has no intention of quitting his current job as manager of League One leaders Brighton.

"It's a big no," Poyet told Sky Sports News.

"I love Chelsea but I enjoy making decisions and I don't want to be a number two again." "

Thread over then.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
His on here posting that shit, gus is himself on skysports news saying his going no where, at the same time that dick head is posting that chelsea are holding talks with TB today, do my a favour the bloke is talking out of his arse.

Porky Pie
Mental how you cant write a coherent sentence mate but still manage to call me a prick in a straight forward kind of way (read your post above). If you don't like my posts then may I suggest you have the choice "not to read them".

Just had the latest news regarding the issue from my contact approx 10 mins ago. I'll leave you to read the update in the Argus tomorrow.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Porky Pie
Mental how you cant write a coherent sentence mate but still manage to call me a prick in a straight forward kind of way (read your post above). If you don't like my posts then may I suggest you have the choice "not to read them".

Just had the latest news regarding the issue from my contact approx 10 mins ago. I'll leave you to read the update in the Argus tomorrow.

So despite Poyet public statements that he's not leaving, your source says he is?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Porky Pie

Spill the beans then Jimbo:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Gus has said NO to Chelsea perchance? :p

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be (very) fair to Jimbo, we all know that someone saying they are not leaving is not always the end of the matter. Until it is finalised, they pretty much have to, and these denials can be meaningless. That said, with this one, it wasn't the sort of mealy-mouthed statement from Gus you sometimes get, he sounded pretty certain, and what I liked was him raising the idea that he liked being No1 and making his own decisions. For me, the biggest single reason why he shouldn't take a No2 job at Chelsea above the Albion gig.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
TD, good reasonable response. it just seems that by relaying this news i'm being shot down to bits. What we have is a high profile manager (who I'm sure wouldn't go to the likes of your WBA's, Stokes etc) to further himself. The point is Chelsea's cost cutting is probably a million here or a million there, spare change really. If they want him, they'll get him. Also, his heart is still with that club.

By comparison to some of their signing fee's, this will be a coup for them, their supporters are restless and not happy about the Wilkins saga !! Very apparent after the result against Sunderland, Poyet arriving will be very good in theirs and more importantly the supporters eyes !!!!

Don't underestimate this, these discussions are happening today but as I've maintained throughout this thread I so hope I'm wrong and will welcome shooting down if so
:thumbsup:

Provided the original post was not done out of mishchief/spite etc. (which I don't believe), I don't condone you getting blasted for posting info you might have (from sources we know not). But I come back to last nights interview - he was categorical in his denial, and if he went back on that, he would look like a blatant liar. Now, I don't know him personally, but I would not have thought that was his style.

He has made no secret of his desire to make it to the top, and I have no illusion that he is using us as anything other than a stepping stone (unless we make it to the prem pretty quickly), he has said as much in the past. In this case, I think, and hope, you and your sources are wrong.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't know about anyone else - but I personally feel that Gus is a little bit different to the likes of Coppell, Adams, etc. who jumped and I have a million times more faith in
Gus than any manager I've watched the Albion under and who jumped.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Cheeky Monkey

Discussions taking place today with TB. I refer you to my first post on this thread that even I hope my sources are wrong, nothing would make me happier. The problem we are facing is the root of all that is bad about football.....Money !. If Chelsea want him, they'll get him, simple as. They kind of remind me of the playground bully.....but to round off "I HOPE I'M WRONG"

Guarantee this story hits the argus tomorrow though

Announcement coming real soon. Tony Blooms meetings this afternoon with Chelsea are almost finished :lolol: Gus is off to Chelsea. Will definately hit the Argus, or so I was told.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhx2j3dMUuQ&feature=related

You can't beat a good source hey :laugh:

lg_hp-sauce-big.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here