Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Springal, whatever has happened about the right to the free speech that was highlighted in another post on this forum. Tell you what, I'll leave it there for now, only relaying FACTS. How many managers have you heard say, not interested in that job etc, etc, blah, blah, and lo and behold (said manager lands said job).

Wake up and smell the coffee mate if they are prepared to double his money, which they easily can then its Adiós. As I have always stated on this thread I hope i'm so wrong !!

Porky Pie, the school bells ringing mate, enjoy your lunch, run along now !

Double his money? Chelsea are on cost cutting exercise (witness their summer spending and also the cutting of jobs at Cobham) so to believe that they will pay a good amount of money to buy Poyet out of 4 year managerial deal and then give him a huge salary on top would be a bit strange to say the least.
And free speech may all be well and good but when you post rumours (not FACT), especially given the content, and they don't come true you have to accept the consequences them is the rules.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
only relaying FACTS. How many managers have you heard say, not interested in that job etc, etc, blah, blah, and lo and behold (said manager lands said job).

1 - They arent facts are they.

2 - He said hes not interested in being a number 2. Its a MASSIVE difference between just distancing himself from another managers job.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
After we sacked Slade there was massive speculation that we were signing Coppell - we even had a NSC bet on it (and lots of others did too). The 'source' was absolutely solid and there was no doubt about it. Sometimes all the best laid plans go wrong - it doesn't mean it was never on the cards though. In this case I would say that Bloom may well have been approached about Gus - and may have given permission to talk to him. Gus, however, seems to have other ideas.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
"I know there is something we're all stuck with
And I have tried to point it out
But no one likes the guy
Who points from the sidelines
From the sidelines"

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I am sure there is something in what the original poster stated, and that Poyet has been sounded out, and perhaps made an offer.

Now maybe the original 'sources' believed he would accept, or that 'Chelsea always get their man, so it's a done deal'...

Worst case is that Chelsea massively up their offer after hearing Gus turn them down. At some point the offer would be unrefusable, but we know Gus is a man of principle...

Wouldn't like to call this one...

???

AMEXican - you've nailed it completely, discussions and offers on table taking place today. As always hope I'm either wrong or Gus resists. By providing information on this forum, if wrong is it always a straight red card.....if so I dont think there'll be many posters left. Chappers, I haven't gone quiet mate, awaiting confirmation from contact.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
AMEXican - you've nailed it completely, discussions and offers on table taking place today. As always hope I'm either wrong or Gus resists. By providing information on this forum, if wrong is it always a straight red card.....if so I dont think there'll be many posters left. Chappers, I haven't gone quiet mate, awaiting confirmation from contact.

Obviously without naming anyone, what source do you have that knows details of discussions between Tony Bloom, Gus Poyet and similarly placed officials at Chelsea, and that leaks these like a sieve for some unfathomable reason for spreading on the internet?

Does this person expect to continue working in this privileged position for very long?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Obviously without naming anyone, what source do you have that knows details of discussions between Tony Bloom, Gus Poyet and similarly placed officials at Chelsea, and that leaks these like a sieve for some unfathomable reason for spreading on the internet?

Does this person expect to continue working in this privileged position for very long?

This, these kind of talks would only take place at a top level, and anyone stupid enough to offer them out wouldn't be involved or would be found out and sacked sharpish.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
After we sacked Slade there was massive speculation that we were signing Coppell - we even had a NSC bet on it (and lots of others did too). The 'source' was absolutely solid and there was no doubt about it. Sometimes all the best laid plans go wrong - it doesn't mean it was never on the cards though. In this case I would say that Bloom may well have been approached about Gus - and may have given permission to talk to him. Gus, however, seems to have other ideas.

Exactly right. Someone could (and did) run a story that Coppell was first choice. And he was. At one time. And then later he wasn't. It doesn't mean the first story was wrong, just that it's never over til the contract's signed. I think it's quite likely Gus has been approached, and many things could still change his mind/influence his decision.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I don't know if it's relevant, but I suspect it may be: Gus played for Chelsea from 1997 - 2001. Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea in 2003. He's the one who makes the decisions at Chelsea (including deciding to sack Ray Wilkins). So Abramovich has no `emotional ties` to Gus. I suspect this story has been created more in the minds of hopeful Chelsea and fearful Brighton supporters than in the Chelsea boardroom.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Its all a load of absolute bollocks.
Gus himself doesn't want it.
We don't want to lose him.
Chelsea have stated they'll appoint from within, and are cost cutting.
Gus' compensation package would be pretty hefty.

Why am I still a little bit scared. :down:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So 12 hours and 100 posts later it is officially bollox.... :sick:

Gus to lead :albion1: out at the :amex: :clap2:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Springal, whatever has happened about the right to the free speech that was highlighted in another post on this forum. Tell you what, I'll leave it there for now, only relaying FACTS. How many managers have you heard say, not interested in that job etc, etc, blah, blah, and lo and behold (said manager lands said job).

Wake up and smell the coffee mate if they are prepared to double his money, which they easily can then its Adiós. As I have always stated on this thread I hope i'm so wrong !!

Porky Pie, the school bells ringing mate, enjoy your lunch, run along now !

I was giving you the benfit of the doubt, as I know no better, and it is something COULD be perfectly reasonable.

However, having now seen the Sky footage, it was pretty clear, he gave himself no wiggle room whatsoever - I know people can twist words in interviews, but I was left in no doubt about his thoughts on it.

Oh, with respect to Gus being Chelsea manager at all - this is aclub who would only ever appoint one of the top 5 or 6 managers in the world, if nothing else to keep their profile up - so the prospect of Gus being manager there in the sort-to-medium term is completely wide of the mark.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
I was giving you the benfit of the doubt, as I know no better, and it is something COULD be perfectly reasonable.

However, having now seen the Sky footage, it was pretty clear, he gave himself no wiggle room whatsoever - I know people can twist words in interviews, but I was left in no doubt about his thoughts on it.

Oh, with respect to Gus being Chelsea manager at all - this is aclub who would only ever appoint one of the top 5 or 6 managers in the world, if nothing else to keep their profile up - so the prospect of Gus being manager there in the sort-to-medium term is completely wide of the mark.

TD, good reasonable response. it just seems that by relaying this news i'm being shot down to bits. What we have is a high profile manager (who I'm sure wouldn't go to the likes of your WBA's, Stokes etc) to further himself. The point is Chelsea's cost cutting is probably a million here or a million there, spare change really. If they want him, they'll get him. Also, his heart is still with that club.

By comparison to some of their signing fee's, this will be a coup for them, their supporters are restless and not happy about the Wilkins saga !! Very apparent after the result against Sunderland, Poyet arriving will be very good in theirs and more importantly the supporters eyes !!!!

Don't underestimate this, these discussions are happening today but as I've maintained throughout this thread I so hope I'm wrong and will welcome shooting down if so
:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... it just seems that by relaying this news i'm being shot down to bits. What we have is a high profile manager (who I'm sure wouldn't go to the likes of your WBA's, Stokes etc) to further himself.

you are not relaying news or facts as you claim, you are relaying gossip at best or making it up at worse.

we do have a high profile manager, who would want to further himself. going from manager of a club, in charge of everything from tactics, through training to transfers, to being no. 2 following the manager's instructions on training and chipping in a few suggestions, is not progress.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here