Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Cheeky Monkey

Discussions taking place today with TB. I refer you to my first post on this thread that even I hope my sources are wrong, nothing would make me happier. The problem we are facing is the root of all that is bad about football.....Money !. If Chelsea want him, they'll get him, simple as. They kind of remind me of the playground bully.....but to round off "I HOPE I'M WRONG"

Guarantee this story hits the argus tomorrow though

So going to take a banning if it turns out to be a load of balls tomorrow then?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Few problems, didn't Poyet already turn down the No 2 job at Real Madrid? Why would he go to Chelsea as No 2? Chelsea are on a huge cost cutting exercise so would they really stump a lot of cash for a No 2? And didn't Ancellotti already state they would appoint from within, i.e Paul Clement

Because he has no history with Real Madrid. Chelsea is in his blood. Put it this way, if say Bobby Zamora was managing the team at the top of the conference south (3 divisions down) and he got chance to be Albion number 2 with promises of a crack at number 1 job in 18 months. The fans of table topping Bromley might say, why would he want to be number 2 in a much bigger club, with much bigger games earning much more money.

But we all know how much of a personal pull Brighton may be to Bobby.

I hope its bullsh1t, and just a rumour, I really do, but our opinion and perception is clouded as we're Brighton fans, Gus Poyet is not, and he loves Chelsea/Leeds and Spurs.

I sit and hope he stays with us :albion2:

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Because he has no history with Real Madrid. Chelsea is in his blood. Put it this way, if say Bobby Zamora was managing the team at the top of the conference south (3 divisions down) and he got chance to be Albion number 2 with promises of a crack at number 1 job in 18 months. The fans of table topping Bromley might say, why would he want to be number 2 in a much bigger club, with much bigger games earning much more money.

But we all know how much of a personal pull Brighton may be to Bobby.

I hope its bullsh1t, and just a rumour, I really do, but our opinion and perception is clouded as we're Brighton fans, Gus Poyet is not, and he loves Chelsea/Leeds and Spurs.

I sit and hope he stays with us :albion2:

Poyet has just said himself on skysports news he is not going anywhere as a number 2!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If he's ambitious - he'll stay here. Here he's got the chance, and the materials, to really 'do something'. He's got a blank canvas and in terms of our history really not that much to live up to. Consequently he can take this club to heights it has never reached before.

Chelsea on the other hand can't get much bigger. They've got one more little step to take inasmuch as they've never won the Champions' League (although they have reached the final) and after that then what? There's nothing else to do but to win it again. And as has been pointed out how much glory will that give Poyet as the #2? And even if or when he becomes the manager and manages to replicate the success of his predecessors he'll just be another successful Chelsea manager. Here if he just gets us into the Premier League and wins the FA Cup he'll be a legend for all time.

Consequently all the while he feels we can move up I think he'll stay here and 'build the legend'. The time to worry will be when we seemingly reach a plateau and then he can take his massive reputation, pick his own job and name his own price.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I've sussed it.
Poyet going there as Number One and they are going to appoint No.2 from within - Ancelotti.

Makes sense now

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
And that's out of order, he said he hopes he's wrong and just because we don't like the sound of it there is no need for abuse

His on here posting that shit, gus is himself on skysports news saying his going no where, at the same time that dick head is posting that chelsea are holding talks with TB today, do my a favour the bloke is talking out of his arse.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Don't shoot the messenger. There's all sorts of mud being thrown here. Low post counts. Not local etc. A person doesn't need to be local or a fully paid up ruffian to have a good contact at the club. The fact the KLL ankle news was broken early from this source suggests we should take it seriously.

I'd still be surprised if it happened in as much as I can't see Gus wanting to return to a No.2 roll with no guarantee of assuming the top spot at a later date. However, we don't know the maths. If Chelski were prepared to, say, double his wages what on Earth would we do in that position?

The sad fact is that our time with Gus is finite. I'd like to think we'll be able to hang on to him for another season and a half. This one for promotion and then another to see if we can actually take the Championship by the scruff of the neck rather than tread water. However, we can't fight market forces. If he goes, he goes. We'll just have to wait and see but this thread seems valid enough to me.

JimHigham

Thanks for your words me old mucker, whilst new to posting on here have lived in Hove since 1980 and supported The Albion throughout. Haven't felt the need to post on the warrior board previously but now I'm privy to some inside info, just thought I would share it with rational fellow supporters like yourself.

Touched on the financial subject in a previous post...Money talks, if someone offered to double my wages you have to seriously consider it. I know my wife would kill me if I didn't. Hopefully Gus goes with his heart on this one, the people shooting me down about this have all expressed very good points/reasons, as I've said talks are taking place today following which an announcement will be made tomorrow morning. I more than anyone hope this is wrong.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My reasoning for him to not go to Chelsea as even No 1 is that they have proved themselves and he is still trying to prove himself. If they win the Prem everybody would say that was expected as it is nothing unusual so they can only go one way that is the route of Liverpool.

I would be more concerned if it was a club outside of the top 5 or 6 that he thought had the potential to be champions somebody like Villa or Everton or even Newcastle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
JimHigham

Thanks for your words me old mucker, whilst new to posting on here have lived in Hove since 1980 and supported The Albion throughout. Haven't felt the need to post on the warrior board previously but now I'm privy to some inside info, just thought I would share it with rational fellow supporters like yourself.

Touched on the financial subject in a previous post...Money talks, if someone offered to double my wages you have to seriously consider it. I know my wife would kill me if I didn't. Hopefully Gus goes with his heart on this one, the people shooting me down about this have all expressed very good points/reasons, as I've said talks are taking place today following which an announcement will be made tomorrow morning. I more than anyone hope this is wrong.

Enjoy your ban if not true! :thumbsup:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Was going to come on and say I wouldn't be surprised if Gus did go to Chelsea - chance to work with some of the best players in the world and a salary we could never match - but having heard the Sky Sports quote it seems highly unlikely now, thank God. Imagine what a god awful week that would have been - losing to Hartlepool, Lua Lua injured, Gus gone....

Barry Izbak - just wanted to say I love your 'signature'. That 0-0 stitch up between Burkinshaw and McMenemy in particular was obscene!

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Its not a chance at the big time though is it?

How many people have said of Chelsea's past success "Thats because they have a decent number two in Ray Wilkins". They didn't did they, it was all the special one this, the special one that.

Are clubs falling over themselves to hire Ray Wilkins as manager now that hes available? No because he was a number two, he has never done f*** all in his brief spells as a manager. And at the moment neither has Gus.

I cant argue about what you said about salary but i think Gus is pretty much set up for life anyway, his motovation is ambition, and theres barrell loads of that right where he is.

Think you'll find no one will approach him till the compensations sorted
:facepalm:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...as I've said talks are taking place today following which an announcement will be made tomorrow morning. I more than anyone hope this is wrong.

If this turns out to be right a lot of people are going to owe you an apology.

If it isn't you are going to get the mother of all online roastings.

You're a brave man.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If he's ambitious - he'll stay here. Here he's got the chance, and the materials, to really 'do something'. He's got a blank canvas and in terms of our history really not that much to live up to. Consequently he can take this club to heights it has never reached before.

Chelsea on the other hand can't get much bigger. They've got one more little step to take inasmuch as they've never won the Champions' League (although they have reached the final) and after that then what? There's nothing else to do but to win it again. And as has been pointed out how much glory will that give Poyet as the #2? And even if or when he becomes the manager and manages to replicate the success of his predecessors he'll just be another successful Chelsea manager. Here if he just gets us into the Premier League and wins the FA Cup he'll be a legend for all time.

Consequently all the while he feels we can move up I think he'll stay here and 'build the legend'. The time to worry will be when we seemingly reach a plateau and then he can take his massive reputation, pick his own job and name his own price.

I don't think that analysis is quite right on Chelsea. For the really successful teams, it isn't 'win the league, then where do you go from here?' It is continuing to win stuff season in, season out like Liverpool did, United do, and Chelsea are starting to.

IF this offer is floated, it'll be a very tough call for Gus. For him, the pros will be a huge salary, something we could never match; going to a club he loves and where he will be instantly welcomed; the chance to work with better players, and be involved in the biggest games; even at No2, a very high profile - we'd see more of him on TV; almost a shoo-in for another top Championship or lower-ranking Prem job in the future.

The cons would be leaving an excellent work in progress; letting down a bloke who gave him a chance and a decent platform; not being the final decision-maker; no realistic prospect of actually succeeding Ancelotti; Abramovich may get bored and do one; he will get a Premier League No1 job soon if he keeps going the way he is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Also, stop talking about 'sources'. No transfer speculation has been proved correct because Bloom would sack any 'source' if they spoke out. Sources don't exist under this regime.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
...I refer you to my first post on this thread that even I hope my sources are wrong, ...

A lot of us have got sources at the club, i.e. we know people who are either connected with the club or who work for it in some capacity (including players). However unless your source is Tony Bloom or someone VERY senior then what your 'sources' tell you is little more than the office gossip that circulates round any workplace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here