Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I thought we would have to get used to Gus being linked with vacant managers jobs but not bloody assistant manager jobs as well.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I hope this is worng, but this guy did actually call the broken ankle before anybody else. In this case I hope he is right (so we have good inside info) but that his two sources have jumped the gun.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Gus made such a big thing a year ago about being ready to be a No.1 and then about enjoying that role. Also that the four year contract means he can plan for the future at all levels of the club.

Either Jimbo's sources are a crock of shit, or Gus is going to have to go back on all this.

BTW whatever the outcome won't affect how much I absolutely hate the no-history boys.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Seems strange to me, Chelsea have said they are going to appoint within, and Gus wants to be a No1 not an assistant, also that he isn't interested in the job

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
I really hope this info is inaccurate. :(

But, Gus was missing from training towards the end of last week, just after Wilkins got the push.

Interview? Feeling unwell?

I'd like to feel this is all hogwash, but Jimbo has been accurate before. :(

no, he was in italy looking at kit manufacturing techniques/designs.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Dear all

I so hope my source is wrong :shrug: but I did raise this on the board (and the Phone -In at the weekend) again laughed down by Mike and Richie just after Ray Wilkins got the heave-ho. I mentioned at the time both in posting here and on the radio my understanding was that Chelsea were touting our Gus as assistant manager.

Once again, our intrepid reporter Andy Naylor has reported nothing but anyone listening to 5 live tonight would have heard Gus was being pressed on this. Our man Gus's response wasn't convincing if you ask me and a couple of calls have been duly made by myself and I'm afraid to say by the end of the week the deal will be done. In all fairness to The Argus, it was stated in the 2 day interview last week with our chairman that he wouldnt stand in his way if a Premiership club came in

Official announcement I believe will take place this coming Thursday morning (my contacts in SW London have also confirmed) !!!!!

WHAT... A.... COMPLETE.... LOAD.... OF.... BOLLOCKS. I dare you to come on here tomorrow about midday and explain why the announcement hasn't happened. Dare ya!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I would think it would be a backwards move for him to go to Chelsea as no 2 and also a silly move to even go as no 1 as there is only one way they can go. Forgot about the money but I shouldnt think that on that front he needs to work again anyway.

That is possibly the biggest load of cocksnot that has ever been written on here!

Are you seriously trying to say that the managerial post at Chelsea (current premier league champions, finalists in the champions league in recent years) is a step down from Brighton?? Going as number 2 even is still a massive step up for him.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
That is possibly the biggest load of cocksnot that has ever been written on here!

Are you seriously trying to say that the managerial post at Chelsea (current premier league champions, finalists in the champions league in recent years) is a step down from Brighton?? Going as number 2 even is still a massive step up for him.

I agreed with you there until the last line.

Number 2 to would not be a step up imho as he has already held that position at Spurs. Being the no2 (even at Chelsea) is a nothing job compared to being the manager of a L1/Championship club on the up surely?

And to say that BG posted the biggest load of cocksnot is laughable when you foillow it up with a statement like -"Going as number 2 even is still a massive step up for him"

Are you a Chelsea fan?

Last edited:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
So you raised this on the phone in GRFC. Well i replied by text on the phone in and i will also repeat what i said here.

Gus was offered the assistant managers job at Real Madrid when Juande Ramos went there as manager, he turned it down because he wants to be manager not assistant.

No disrespect to Chelsea but this is Real Madrid we are talking about, the same club that Gus joked that Brighton might have to let him go to, if they come looking for a manager. Chelsea might be loaded but they do not have the history, class or reputation of Real Madrid, not many clubs do.

Thats how i see it anyway, if he doesnt want to be assistant there, he doesnt want to be assistant anywhere.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Don't shoot the messenger. There's all sorts of mud being thrown here. Low post counts. Not local etc. A person doesn't need to be local or a fully paid up ruffian to have a good contact at the club. The fact the KLL ankle news was broken early from this source suggests we should take it seriously.

I'd still be surprised if it happened in as much as I can't see Gus wanting to return to a No.2 roll with no guarantee of assuming the top spot at a later date. However, we don't know the maths. If Chelski were prepared to, say, double his wages what on Earth would we do in that position?

The sad fact is that our time with Gus is finite. I'd like to think we'll be able to hang on to him for another season and a half. This one for promotion and then another to see if we can actually take the Championship by the scruff of the neck rather than tread water. However, we can't fight market forces. If he goes, he goes. We'll just have to wait and see but this thread seems valid enough to me.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Don't shoot the messenger. There's all sorts of mud being thrown here. Low post counts. Not local etc. A person doesn't need to be local or a fully paid up ruffian to have a good contact at the club. The fact the KLL ankle news was broken early from this source suggests we should take it seriously.

I'd still be surprised if it happened in as much as I can't see Gus wanting to return to a No.2 roll with no guarantee of assuming the top spot at a later date. However, we don't know the maths. If Chelski were prepared to, say, double his wages what on Earth would we do in that position?

The sad fact is that our time with Gus is finite. I'd like to think we'll be able to hang on to him for another season and a half. This one for promotion and then another to see if we can actually take the Championship by the scruff of the neck rather than tread water. However, we can't fight market forces. If he goes, he goes. We'll just have to wait and see but this thread seems valid enough to me.

Yep and all this speculation does is rock the boat. That's why I said earlier, if he goes, he goes.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Gus clearly stated that he is enjoying being a number one and does not want to be an assistant again - where is the ambiguity in that!

He also said that if he loses his job in a couple of years, then he might consider that sort of position.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
People are always on the wind-up here. My guess? This poster 'got lucky' with the ankle break so now any shit he spouts seems more credible.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Why does it add up? Firstly, Ancellotti is going to want his own AM. Secondly, are we really so deluded that we believe the Chelsea board intend on appointing a manager with a years experience in the next couple of seasons?!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poster accidentally bumps into Charlie Oatway on Sunday and asks about KLL, Charlie tells him he has a broken ankle. Poster posts on here. None of that means he has "sources".

Poster, thinking he is suddenly the best thing since sliced bread decides to stick his next out and go for another great prediction. Gus is going? Frankly I think it's bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here