Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to Chelsea

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I agreed with you there until the last line.

Number 2 to would not be a step up imho as he has already held that position at Spurs. Being the no2 (even at Chelsea) is a nothing job compared to being the manager of a L1/Championship club on the up surely?

And to say that BG posted the biggest load of cocksnot is laughable when you foillow it up with a statement like -"Going as number 2 even is still a massive step up for him"

Are you a Chelsea fan?

Yes guilty as charged, true blue gunner gooner super chelse me! :wozza:

Get a grip! Adams left us to go and be number 2 at Leicester now that is questionable if it's a step up. Going to the current premier league champions in any role is a step up for loads of reasons but the main two are:

Money, like it or not money talks and he's probably earning about the same as the kit man at Chelsea currently. If someone offers to quadruple your salary you're not going to say no are you!

Chance at the big time, Gus knows he's got to serve his apprenticeship in the management game. Regardless of what you think about us we are not a big club....Chelsea are! Even being number 2 at Chelsea is going to put him in the spotlight more than Brighton will currently.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Going as number 2 even is still a massive step up for him.

How do you work that out, is Ray Wilkins more high profile than Gus? He's been at Chelsea as no 2 and I doubt there's a club in the land who'd have him as manager in preference to Gus. Being a No 2 anywhere is not a step up regardless of the club when you see the potential we have. Bigger wages, yes but step up no way..imo

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I fear if they guaranteed him a crack at the job when Ancelotti goes then he would go, as I believe Ancelotti is retiring at the end of next season. Otherwise I expect him to stay and finish the job he started and take us to the promised land of the Championship.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I fear if they guaranteed him a crack at the job when Ancelotti goes then he would go, as I believe Ancelotti is retiring at the end of next season. Otherwise I expect him to stay and finish the job he started and take us to the promised land of the Championship.

A club like Chelsea would never do that. Has there ever been an instance where this has happened? Quierioz at Man U, i suppose, but Sir Alex outstayed him.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Chance at the big time, Gus knows he's got to serve his apprenticeship in the management game. Regardless of what you think about us we are not a big club....Chelsea are! Even being number 2 at Chelsea is going to put him in the spotlight more than Brighton will currently.

Its not a chance at the big time though is it?

How many people have said of Chelsea's past success "Thats because they have a decent number two in Ray Wilkins". They didn't did they, it was all the special one this, the special one that.

Are clubs falling over themselves to hire Ray Wilkins as manager now that hes available? No because he was a number two, he has never done f*** all in his brief spells as a manager. And at the moment neither has Gus.

I cant argue about what you said about salary but i think Gus is pretty much set up for life anyway, his motovation is ambition, and theres barrell loads of that right where he is.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Get a grip! Adams left us to go and be number 2 at Leicester now that is questionable if it's a step up. Going to the current premier league champions in any role is a step up for loads of reasons but the main two are:

Money, like it or not money talks and he's probably earning about the same as the kit man at Chelsea currently. If someone offers to quadruple your salary you're not going to say no are you!

That was somewhat different though, Adams was guarenteed the top job at the end of the season.

Gus quite clearly has more on his mind than money. He turned down the real madrid number 2 job because he wanted to be a manager. That would probably have been more money than Chelsea are going to be offering.

The second part isn't really true either. Take a look at number 2s like Steve Clarke. Number 2 is less impressive than leading a team to promotions and the like. There are reason for going to Chelsea, but I genuinely cannot belive that Gus will be. He's got his head more switched on than chasing the short term money.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Its not a chance at the big time though is it?

How many people have said of Chelsea's past success "Thats because they have a decent number two in Ray Wilkins". They didn't did they, it was all the special one this, the special one that.

Are clubs falling over themselves to hire Ray Wilkins as manager now that hes available? No because he was a number two, he has never done f*** all in his brief spells as a manager. And at the moment neither has Gus.

I cant argue about what you said about salary but i think Gus is pretty much set up for life anyway, his motovation is ambition, and theres barrell loads of that right where he is.

Point taken, however how many managers have gone on to manage in the top flight after being number 2. Quite a few. Yeah it's a gamble but I still think serving your apprenticeship as number 2 at a top division club who is competing in the champions league is far better than managing a third division club.

How do you work that out, is Ray Wilkins more high profile than Gus? He's been at Chelsea as no 2 and I doubt there's a club in the land who'd have him as manager in preference to Gus. Being a No 2 anywhere is not a step up regardless of the club when you see the potential we have. Bigger wages, yes but step up no way..imo

If Gus gets sacked tomorrow how much press attention will it get? Not as much as Wilkins departure last week I bet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its a strange one, Gus has recently made all the right noises about being at Brighton for as long as possible and only wanting to go to a top Premiership club, but then he did say he did not enjoy being number 2, as he likes to be in control of the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Gus gets sacked tomorrow how much press attention will it get? Not as much as Wilkins departure last week I bet.

When Chelsea win how much attention does the assistant manager get? Not even close to the attention Gus has got this season, apart from when he got sacked. You won't convince me that being a no 2 at Chelsea is better than being no 1 here, just hope Gus agrees :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gus LOVES CHelsea. If it were not for that single fact, I would not be remotely concerned. Because of this though, there is always that tiny seed of doubt.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
Poster accidentally bumps into Charlie Oatway on Sunday and asks about KLL, Charlie tells him he has a broken ankle. Poster posts on here. None of that means he has "sources".

Poster, thinking he is suddenly the best thing since sliced bread decides to stick his next out and go for another great prediction. Gus is going? Frankly I think it's bollocks.

I was thinking the same thing but maybe the Coach driver is a mate of his Mum's

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

there's no dispute that Chelsea is a big club. but why would someone who is already a manager, go back to being an apprentice? it would be a step backwards for him to go anywhere as anything other the man in charge.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Dear all

I so hope my source is wrong :shrug: but I did raise this on the board (and the Phone -In at the weekend) again laughed down by Mike and Richie just after Ray Wilkins got the heave-ho. I mentioned at the time both in posting here and on the radio my understanding was that Chelsea were touting our Gus as assistant manager.

Once again, our intrepid reporter Andy Naylor has reported nothing but anyone listening to 5 live tonight would have heard Gus was being pressed on this. Our man Gus's response wasn't convincing if you ask me and a couple of calls have been duly made by myself and I'm afraid to say by the end of the week the deal will be done. In all fairness to The Argus, it was stated in the 2 day interview last week with our chairman that he wouldnt stand in his way if a Premiership club came in

Official announcement I believe will take place this coming Thursday morning (my contacts in SW London have also confirmed) !!!!!

f*** me you're the bearer of all things happy aren't you?!!

Got any "good news" to REVEAL??

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Few problems, didn't Poyet already turn down the No 2 job at Real Madrid? Why would he go to Chelsea as No 2? Chelsea are on a huge cost cutting exercise so would they really stump a lot of cash for a No 2? And didn't Ancellotti already state they would appoint from within, i.e Paul Clement

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
WHAT... A.... COMPLETE.... LOAD.... OF.... BOLLOCKS. I dare you to come on here tomorrow about midday and explain why the announcement hasn't happened. Dare ya!

Cheeky Monkey

Discussions taking place today with TB. I refer you to my first post on this thread that even I hope my sources are wrong, nothing would make me happier. The problem we are facing is the root of all that is bad about football.....Money !. If Chelsea want him, they'll get him, simple as. They kind of remind me of the playground bully.....but to round off "I HOPE I'M WRONG"

Guarantee this story hits the argus tomorrow though

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Dear all

I so hope my source is wrong :shrug: but I did raise this on the board (and the Phone -In at the weekend) again laughed down by Mike and Richie just after Ray Wilkins got the heave-ho. I mentioned at the time both in posting here and on the radio my understanding was that Chelsea were touting our Gus as assistant manager.

Once again, our intrepid reporter Andy Naylor has reported nothing but anyone listening to 5 live tonight would have heard Gus was being pressed on this. Our man Gus's response wasn't convincing if you ask me and a couple of calls have been duly made by myself and I'm afraid to say by the end of the week the deal will be done. In all fairness to The Argus, it was stated in the 2 day interview last week with our chairman that he wouldnt stand in his way if a Premiership club came in

Official announcement I believe will take place this coming Thursday morning (my contacts in SW London have also confirmed) !!!!!

I haven't read the rest of this thread, but why do you continue to attempt to start rubbish rumours, when people closer to the club than yourself (ie Naylor) write the complete opposite. First about LuaLua not coming back, when apparently Hughton is happy for him to do so, and then this. There is no way Gus will take an assistant managers job.

I don't believe for a second that your 'sources' have any real insider information, if you have any sources at all. It would not have been difficult to find out about LuaLua's injury.

Last edited:

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Cheeky Monkey

Discussions taking place today with TB. I refer you to my first post on this thread that even I hope my sources are wrong, nothing would make me happier. The problem we are facing is the root of all that is bad about football.....Money !. If Chelsea want him, they'll get him, simple as. They kind of remind me of the playground bully.....but to round off "I HOPE I'M WRONG"

Guarantee this story hits the argus tomorrow though

I think you, should f*** off now prick!:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here