Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus reads NSC and is starting to lose patience with the "fans".....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"Maybe the fans just want us to kick it long win 1-0. I've got no problem, I'll go home."

From today's Argus

This is more a dig at Fat Sam's hoofball tactics , West Ham got 3 points but Gus thinks its better to lose than return to the Russell Slade days.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Gus has done wonders and I'm so happy that he has commited to the long term development of the club.
He wont get everything right and there will be the odd bit of subjecture to how we play in some games and the team he puts out.

But is he saying he is bigger than the club and fans?

He needs to toughen up if he ever wants to manager at the highest level at a club with much more expectation and media interest than ours.

I don't think he is no, if he was he would be telling the fans to f off while he stayed in charge.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
So where does it say he reads NSC? Oh wait it doesn't.

Non story.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gus has to accept we have got 3 points from 21 and are dropping down the table faster than the Titanic so a few questions are going to be asked, for the first time in his career so the " be nice to me or I may leave " does not help. Ericsson has just got the sack with the exact same record this season as Poyet so he needs to grow a thicker skin and keep doing what he is doing. He is a very good manager and the best we have potentially had for decades but he is not the only good manager around and he gets paid a decent wage so will be under scrutiny.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I am 100% behind Poyet....But in all honesty, if he cant take a bit of criticism then he is in the wrong proffesion. Every manager gets it or has had it, even Fergie was one game away from the bullet. If Poyet walked because of a bit of flack then I dont give him long in any job tbh. Unless he when down again and got a Sheff Wed or Utd and built them up from scratch. But the flack would still come sooner or later, it the job. The best stay and get though it, thats why there are not to many good manager around.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"There is a fear that if someone makes a mistake you're going to get the blame. I always say to my players that I accept the responsibility. If we lose because we're playing a passing game, it's my mistake. It takes the pressure off them."

"It's well known in England that when the ball is going forward every centre-half in the division loves to head it as high and as long as possible back down the pitch. We do that if it's a 50–50 ball. But if we are on our own, I tell them to bring the ball down, don't just give it away".

"That doesn't mean we never play the ball long. It's not like we only pass the ball. But we have made a big change. If you are able to convince your players, then you can get both sides into your game. You can get the aggression, the craziness, the pace, the commitment, the good part of English football. But also you can do the other side. It's also about taking risks. To win you need risk".

"People only look at the way we pass the ball and the way we take risks. But our success is also because of the way we defend. We are the best team in defending. It's not sexy, like 'Let's play fantastic flickies and one-twos and forget about the rest.' No, no. First play the basics, which means you need to defend well."

G Poyet

I still buy into this philosophy 100%. We just need to get the balance right between tappy-tappy and the *odd* hoof when appropriate (with that NOT being the sole tactic, a-la West Ham). Gus is very, very close to achieving that.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's a statement (for which admittedly I haven't read the context) which, taken on its own, has nothing to do with criticism or being thick- or thin-skinned, and everything to do with reminding people not to be so blindly short-termist.

He's got a five-year contract because that is what he is going to need to make us a successful side; his ongoing work-in-progress is not going be de-railed by introducing regressive footballing ideas. If he has to go two steps back in order to go three steps forward, so be it.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So says a supporter of one of the WORST footballing sides I have seen play against Brighton. Add to the fact that you have an ENORMOUS budget and wage bill.

You just don't get it do you. Keep playing pretty football week in, week out and you'll be f***ed. It's not about being the best team or the worst team, it's about having a team that will adapt and change to suit every game based on what you think the opposition will do....we may have been the worst team you've ever seen but we did a total job on Brighton and got our tactic spot on. The previous week at home to Blackpool, we absolutely destroyed them playing Brighton style football.

From what i've seen, Poyet either doesn't have the players to change things or doesn't have the knowledge or experience to change it....and that includes during a game when things aren't going right as well as before a game.

We got our tactics spot on monday night, we might change them at home to Leicester on saturday

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
"Maybe the fans just want us to kick it long win 1-0. I've got no problem, I'll go home."

From today's Argus.

So there you have it.

It appears that Gus is aware of some of the shit that gets posted on here and is heartily sick of it. Look at that last sentence -

"I've got no problem, I'll go home."

This is a clear sign that he is willing to walk if necessary. Gus is an emotional man, and a slightly over-the-top kneejerk reaction is not out of the question. He will have plenty of offers so would have no worries - employment-wise - about leaving.

So.... we are in danger of driving out one of the best managers this club has ever had.

I would suggest that you morons who keep moaning, and those wind-up merchants who do it for kicks (TCB et al) actually THINK before you post some of the drivel you do. Get the f*** over your own ego and think about the damage you could actually be causing to this f***ing club.

Whats the solution? I don't want NSC to become like a fascist state, but the future of this football club is more important than the feeling of a few worthless c*nts on a messageboard.

I am sick of this, and I am putting a request out to the mods to try and do something about it. Quite what, I'll be honest, I don't know.

More abuse from those that think constructive criticism is just a moan. Go grow a pair.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Chesney Christ should read the 'The passing game - should The Albion maintain this?' thread, nearly all positive on way Gus wants us to play & if Gus really does read NSC (can't see it myself) he'd know the vast majority support he way.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

From today's Argus.

So there you have it.

It appears that Gus is aware of some of the shit that gets posted on here and is heartily sick of it. Look at that last sentence -

"I've got no problem, I'll go home."

This is a clear sign that he is willing to walk if necessary. Gus is an emotional man, and a slightly over-the-top kneejerk reaction is not out of the question. He will have plenty of offers so would have no worries - employment-wise - about leaving.

So.... we are in danger of driving out one of the best managers this club has ever had.

I would suggest that you morons who keep moaning, and those wind-up merchants who do it for kicks (TCB et al) actually THINK before you post some of the drivel you do. Get the f*** over your own ego and think about the damage you could actually be causing to this f***ing club.

Whats the solution? I don't want NSC to become like a fascist state, but the future of this football club is more important than the feeling of a few worthless c*nts on a messageboard.

I am sick of this, and I am putting a request out to the mods to try and do something about it. Quite what, I'll be honest, I don't know.

I wish to say that I personally am 100% behind Gus Poyet.

Could someone, smarter than I am, start a thread where those who feel likewise could add their agreement to that.

It might serve to state the consenus at least of regularly posting members of NSC.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
... and walk because his sensibilities are offended by the doubters?

Sorry maybe I have missed something, but of the sensible posts/posters made regarding our current slump, has there been dissatisfaction with the manager? Because perhaps I'm skimming stuff without realising.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Gus is hurting, we all are but its only because we all know how close we are to cracking this division. We have to be patient and stick to our principles. He is a fantastic manager and he wears his heart on his sleeve. I've no doubt he hears criticism from the stands during quieter or more frustrating parts of the game - I've never heard anyone shout "We think your doing a fantastic job Gus and we're with you all the way!!" but you do hear absolute hoofballcrap shouted!! If he does read NSC this is for you Gus: ignore the wankers, in every Amex crowd of 20,000 there's 2,500 away fans, 17,450 Albion fans who are with you 100% and 50 idiots - please don't listen to the idiots, we may not always show it very well but we really appreciate what you're doing here and we're with you and Tano all the way.

It's a statement (for which admittedly I haven't read the context) which, taken on its own, has nothing to do with criticism or being thick- or thin-skinned, and everything to do with reminding people not to be so blindly short-termist.

He's got a five-year contract because that is what he is going to need to make us a successful side; his ongoing work-in-progress is not going be de-railed by introducing regressive footballing ideas. If he has to go two steps back in order to go three steps forward, so be it.

I wish I understood what you meant in that post Al
:confusedofSweden:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here