Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus is trending on Twitter again!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There does appear to be some delicate thin-skinned people who think that Brighton's name is being dragged through the mud. They are also missing the point.

Gus is being asked for his opinion because he is Uruguayan, not because he is the Brighton manager. Rio Ferdinand's tweet is as insulting as it it thick.

FWIW, people are once again looking for racism (in this case in Gus), where none exists. A cultural consideration is being offered here, and some English people, because they disagree with his point of view, don't like it and look to censor him.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The PC Brigade? This is the mainstream media we're taking about. Racism creates controversy, and controversy makes stories which sell papers and fills airtime.

Yes, Bloom should gag him because the club is being associated with defending a player convicted of racism. This battle belongs to Suarez and Liverpool, not Poyet. If they do things differently in South America then let Maxi Rodriguez or Lucas defend their team-mate, unless - of course - it's considered also racist in Argentina and Brazil and it's only Uruguay where the blacks cop it in this way.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
i think what this shows more than anything is that poyet is a loyal man... Sticking by his subject/pupil (as he is suarez's mentor in this country) and not hanging him out to dry... All those saying poyet should keep his mouth shut have to realise that it really isnt that simple.

Whether suarez is right or wrong, or if suarez thought what he did was not wrong - poyet as his mentor is backing him to the hilt. He knows he will get a backlash, he has already seen that the last time this blew up, but he will not back down. The easy way out would be to say nothing

that tells me he is a loyal and honourable man...

this ^^^^

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
When we appointed Gus Poyet, we knew we had a potentially promising young manager. What we didn't know was that we had a political heavyweight able to share insight and wisdom on the current affairs of the day :bowdown:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The PC Brigade? This is the mainstream media we're taking about. Racism creates controversy, and controversy makes stories which sell papers and fills airtime.

I don't think he's being racist and I hope TB doesn't either, so talking about gagging him is a cop out. f*** the mainstream media, they'll get over it in a couple of days.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There does appear to be some delicate thin-skinned people who think that Brighton's name is being dragged through the mud. They are also missing the point.

Gus is being asked for his opinion because he is Uruguayan, not because he is the Brighton manager. Rio Ferdinand's tweet is as insulting as it it thick.

FWIW, people are once again looking for racism (in this case in Gus), where none exists. A cultural consideration is being offered here, and some English people, because they disagree with his point of view, don't like it and look to censor him.

Rio Ferdinand has not tweeted anything... someone sent HIM a message saying that about Gus

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Gus got it spot on, You cannot say anything without someone calling you racist, See 'BellamyGate' he was likely asked a question on his thoughts, He answered in a reasonable way without making any racist comments even when people are looking for them.

As someone said in the other thread, 'Racism is the belief that people are inherently superior or inferior because of their membership of a particular race. Nothing Gus says implies superiority or inferiority. Rather, he stresses relatedness, affinity and connection.'

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gus is right. Everyone needs to chill the f*** out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I appreciate what you are trying to say but do you not agree that Gus is talking about a very sensitive subject in a very clumsy manner? In most jobs, if you send someone out to talk to others you do not send someone who is you know is going to make a bad fist of it. This is what is embarassing to me. As I have said earlier, I think the press are taking advantage of him by asking him. They know they can get cheap copy from him, and they know he will rise to the bait if they rachet up the questions.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
NO.....lets be honest a white man is more likely to get punished for a racist remark compared to a black man,i would say most races in this country are protected species.

Because the 'white man' has not been enslaved, persecuted, segregated and discriminated against for hundreds of years and because our cultures have developed so many terms to use in abusing black people it's not such a bad thing we protect ethnic minorities in Britain?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I appreciate what you are trying to say but do you not agree that Gus is talking about a very sensitive subject in a very clumsy manner? In most jobs, if you send someone out to talk to others you do not send someone who is you know is going to make a bad fist of it. This is what is embarassing to me. As I have said earlier, I think the press are taking advantage of him by asking him. They know they can get cheap copy from him, and they know he will rise to the bait if they rachet up the questions.

He also, again, seems to blame Evra - "Things have happened before with Evra. He is not a saint. He is a controversial player. I don't know in which world we are going to live in from now on. People will accuse each other of anything"

So basically if someone is 'controversial' or 'not a saint', you can say what you like....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He also, again, seems to blame Evra - "Things have happened before with Evra. He is not a saint. He is a controversial player. I don't know in which world we are going to live in from now on. People will accuse each other of anything"

So basically if someone is 'controversial' or 'not a saint', you can say what you like....

FFS. Gus should just shut the f*** up and concentrate on winning some football matches. He's paid to manage a football team not blather on to the press every f***ing 5 minutes. If he wants some extra-ciricular work then maybe he should take a first aid course so he can patch up some of the crocks he seems to be an expert in purchasing.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
There is such unbelievable hysteria surrounding race in the present day. Everyone falls over themselves not to offend anyone when discussing it, and for Gus to put forward such a forthright view in this climate is pretty ballsy I think. Whether you disagree with him or not, this is Gus. He is opinionated, he is passionate and he lets his emotions get the better of him. It is not just a case of him shutting up or keeping out of it. If you deprive Gus of his opinion, you lost the best of him as well.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
FFS. Gus should just shut the f*** up and concentrate on winning some football matches. He's paid to manage a football team not blather on to the press every f***ing 5 minutes. If he wants some extra-ciricular work then maybe he should take a first aid course so he can patch up some of the crocks he seems to be an expert in purchasing.

Self righteous nonsense. Neither are YOU paid to blather publicly your opinion. Should you be silent? I for one, wish you would.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No he's saying that Suarez should be excused because he has only been here for half a Season. I'm sorry but that is just bollocks, he has been here fore 9 months and played in Holland for 4 years. In neither Country would using those words be acceptable. So I cannot understand what Poyet is trying to say about it being excusable.

We're being dragged throught the dirt by association. We are now known as a petulant Club with a manager that excuses racism. Not great is it.

Rubbish, he's not saying that at all. He's pointing out the difference in language around the world and it's meaning in different places. Not once has he condoned racism. As for dragging the club through the dirt ...... good grief ...... grow up. I would suggest that there are more likely to be posts on here that drag the club down than anything Gus has ever ( or will ever ) say. It's called opinion and as far as I'm aware we haven't yet banned free speech.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here