Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus is trending on Twitter again!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Gus is entitled to his opinion and I fail to see anything offensive in his musings.

I think we, as a country, have reached a stage whereby we are so worried about being offensive or offended, we have taken our eye off the ball. Almost every week there is some sort of story in a crappy newspaper about someone being offended by a comedian or what-have-you and then hoards of people jump on the bandwagon and complain - without even being there or witnessing it first hand. Offended on behalf of someone else.

Most of the TV productions are exceedingly bland nowadays. I was watching Rocky III last night and it referred to 'coloureds', called Clubber Lang an 'ape' and also referred to 'jungle junk music'. I very much doubt the film would pass the various film censorships nowadays. Was it designed to be offensive? Was it found offensive all those years ago?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Trust me.. the board don't care. When they took Poyet on they knew what they were getting and it was his passion they wanted, not some yes-man.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No he's saying that Suarez should be excused because he has only been here for half a Season. I'm sorry but that is just bollocks, he has been here fore 9 months and played in Holland for 4 years. In neither Country would using those words be acceptable. So I cannot understand what Poyet is trying to say about it being excusable.

We're being dragged throught the dirt by association. We are now known as a petulant Club with a manager that excuses racism. Not great is it.

Jan 30, 2008
No he's saying that Suarez should be excused because he has only been here for half a Season. I'm sorry but that is just bollocks, he has been here fore 9 months and played in Holland for 4 years. In neither Country would using those words be acceptable. So I cannot understand what Poyet is trying to say about it being excusable.

We're being dragged throught the dirt by association. We are now known as a petulant Club with a manager that excuses racism. Not great is it.
drama Queen :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 18477

i couldnt give a flying shit if someone was to call me a f-ing white c**t in any country!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
"I don't know in which world we are going to live in from now on people. People will accuse each other of anything.

"Suarez just arrived [in the Premier League] and there are things that he has to learn when you are in another country because they might be normal in your country but perhaps they are not considered that way in other parts of the world.

"I have tried to explain that we live with coloured people in Uruguay. We share different experiences with them. We play football, we share parties. We are born, we grow up and we die with them. We call them 'blacks' in a natural way, even in an affectionate way. That is the way we were brought up. We are integrated and there are no problems from either side.

"I've explained how the Uruguay people and the South Americans experience these situations with coloured people. I've been many years in England and I understand them. I know how to deal with it, but Luis has only recently arrived here."

:bowdown:

Nailed it Gus.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Just arrived in the PL, he;s had a contract with Liverpool for 9 months and before that played in Holland for 4 years. The idea that, as a adult with presumably many many hours outside of free time offered to him by the well payed job he has, he would have educated or learnt now that you dont use those words in this country.

Really beginning to dislike Poyet tbh.

Try reading this from an accomplished journalist with the same point of view as Gus however because English is his first language and is a writer perhaps marginally better put:
BBC Sport - Luis Suarez ban for racist abuse of Patrice Evra leaves Uruguay bemused

Or you can continue to slag Gus off because you don't understand what he's trying to say

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
He is really not saying anything different then what this Guy is saying on the BBC BBC Sport - Luis Suarez ban for racist abuse of Patrice Evra leaves Uruguay bemused

FFS get a grip. This has no reflection on Brighton as a club. Also he has said nothing wrong.

If small minded twats want to make a big fuss about it, let them. They are the sort who would never sick up for a friend if it they thought it would make them look bad. I think Gus is made of more honorable stuff.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well said gus:D
Its getting pathetic the way this country is,people are to scared to say anything to a black/asian etc as it could become a racist remark:nono:

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I think what this shows more than anything is that Poyet is a loyal man... sticking by his subject/pupil (as he is Suarez's mentor in this country) and not hanging him out to dry... All those saying Poyet should keep his mouth shut have to realise that it really isnt that simple.

Whether Suarez is right or wrong, or if Suarez thought what he did was not wrong - Poyet as his mentor is backing him to the hilt. He knows he will get a backlash, he has already seen that the last time this blew up, but he will not back down. The easy way out would be to say nothing

That tells me he is a loyal and honourable man... This is between Poyet, the media and Suarez and their relationship - nothing to do with BHA. Opposition fans will quickly jump on the bandwagon and call us all racists because its easy and insulting, but the reality is that it doesn't affect us as fans of the club, or the club itself. (The only caveat to that is if you are offended by Poyet's comments, and yes that affects you individually, but then again he is entitled to his opinion)

D

Deleted member 18477

I think what this shows more than anything is that Poyet is a loyal man... sticking by his subject/pupil (as he is Suarez's mentor in this country) and not hanging him out to dry... All those saying Poyet should keep his mouth shut have to realise that it really isnt that simple.

Whether Suarez is right or wrong, or if Suarez thought what he did was not wrong - Poyet as his mentor is backing him to the hilt. He knows he will get a backlash, he has already seen that the last time this blew up, but he will not back down. The easy way out would be to say nothing

That tells me he is a loyal and honourable man... This is between Poyet, the media and Suarez and their relationship - nothing to do with BHA. Opposition fans will quickly jump on the bandwagon and call us all racists because its easy and insulting, but the reality is that it doesn't affect us as fans of the club, or the club itself. (The only caveat to that is if you are offended by Poyet's comments, and yes that affects you individually, but then again he is entitled to his opinion)

YES! well put!

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
I blame the Daily Mail readers, using a few words taken out of context and sensationlising it.

Another example is Jeremy Clarkson and his "tirade" about the strikers which was taken completely out of context from the nimbys. Its cut and paste journalism at its worst, i'd rather read HBB's efforts

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You need to take a long hard look at yourself if feel the need to slate Gus on this. He IS allowed an opinion even if it doesn't suit your narrow minded pc views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here