Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus is trending on Twitter again!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
No he's saying that Suarez should be excused because he has only been here for half a Season. I'm sorry but that is just bollocks, he has been here fore 9 months and played in Holland for 4 years. In neither Country would using those words be acceptable. So I cannot understand what Poyet is trying to say about it being excusable.

We're being dragged throught the dirt by association. We are now known as a petulant Club with a manager that excuses racism. Not great is it.

Get a sense of proportion you hysterical bitch, one man making a minor comment about a minor incident is not the end of the world.

Reminds me of the stoning in the Life of Brian.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why cannot Gus keep his gob shut. He is getting very tiresome now. He has a f***ing comment for anything and everything. I'm really surprised the club are allowing this to continue. I get the impression the press are stitching him up a bit as well. They just know they will get some clumsy quotes from him which they can use to their advantage.

D

Deleted member 18477

@rioferdy5 why does gus poyet get involved in matters above him

Patronising twat!

rio ferdinand is thick as shit! you can bet your bottom dollar if rooney was the acused he'd back rooney saying how he's such a good mate and that rooney would never say anything like it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do wish Gus would just keep out of it.

His point about how Uruguyans refer to blacks in their own country and that its often a natural or affectionate term may well be the case. But it is rendered COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT by the fact that Suarez was quite clearly not conversing with Evra in a jocular, natural or affectionate manner. He was sledging, he was winding him up, and he was doing it using racist terms. To plead the "ignorance" card and make out that Suarez didn't know that what he was saying to Evra was offensive or racist over here frankly insults the intelligence.

Jan 30, 2008
I do wish Gus would just keep out of it.

His point about how Uruguyans refer to blacks in their own country and that its often a natural or affectionate term may weell be the case. But it is rendered COMPLETELY IRRELEVENT by the fact that Suarez was quite clearly not conversing with Evra in a jocular, natural or affectionate manner. He was sledging, he was winding him up, and he was doing it using racist terms. To plead the "ignorance" card and make out that Suarez didn't know that what he was saying to Evra was offensive or racist over here frankly insults the intelligence.
write him a letter ?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think what this shows more than anything is that Poyet is a loyal man... sticking by his subject/pupil (as he is Suarez's mentor in this country) and not hanging him out to dry... All those saying Poyet should keep his mouth shut have to realise that it really isnt that simple.

Whether Suarez is right or wrong, or if Suarez thought what he did was not wrong - Poyet as his mentor is backing him to the hilt. He knows he will get a backlash, he has already seen that the last time this blew up, but he will not back down. The easy way out would be to say nothing

That tells me he is a loyal and honourable man... This is between Poyet, the media and Suarez and their relationship - nothing to do with BHA. Opposition fans will quickly jump on the bandwagon and call us all racists because its easy and insulting, but the reality is that it doesn't affect us as fans of the club, or the club itself. (The only caveat to that is if you are offended by Poyet's comments, and yes that affects you individually, but then again he is entitled to his opinion)

This thread, again, is going to come down to those who can see the contextualisation/bigger picture and those who prefer to concentrate on whether Gus is entitled to his opinion/loyal/really a racist. The answers to those questions are obvious, but they aren't the point. There are all sorts of troubling things about what he's said - and this isn't a case of being thin-skinned or offended on behalf of anyone else, unless you don't find racism uncomfortable or haven't seen the number of people from all creeds who have been offended by Poyet's comments. He's being a complete idiot and is, whether he means to or not, helping to belittle anyone who complains about discrimination, to mention probably the biggest consequence of his comments. For not knowing when to shut up, he seems as naive as Suarez supposedly is.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
This thread, again, is going to come down to those who can see the contextualisation/bigger picture and those who prefer to concentrate on whether Gus is entitled to his opinion/loyal/really a racist. The answers to those questions are obvious, but they aren't the point. There are all sorts of troubling things about what he's said - and this isn't a case of being thin-skinned or offended on behalf of anyone else, unless you don't find racism uncomfortable or haven't seen the number of people from all creeds who have been offended by Poyet's comments. He's being a complete idiot and is, whether he means to or not, helping to belittle anyone who complains about discrimination, to mention probably the biggest consequence of his comments. For not knowing when to shut up, he seems as naive as Suarez supposedly is.

Fantasy, paranoia and garbage.

Jan 30, 2008
he's entitled to his opinion ,end of, WHY NOT BOYCOTT THE AMEX IN PROTEST if you're that annoyed ?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I see nothing wrong with what Gus says myself

Problem is, racism is now such a touchy subject in this country, that you can't say anything about it without being labelled a racist.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The bigger picture hear is that Gus has an opinion, some agree with his opinion some do not, others like to pretend they give a shit either way and others just get too F**KING precious over the slightest little F**KING comment any one F**KING makes. Some really need to get a grip.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gus should shut the f*** up. The reason? Every paper will be carrying the story: "Suarez defended by BRIGHTON manager Gus Poyet", "ALBION boss defends Suarez" etc.

Even Gus himself doesn't understand what he's dealing with here. I stand by what I said the first time Gus defended Suarez - for the good of the Albion Bloom needs to gag him on this.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Does this mean he's "blackened" the name of Brighton & Hove Albion !!!

I am getting sick of idiots on here stating that Gus is bringing the clubs name into disrepute. These are the words of Gus Poyet. They are not the words of Brighton and Hove Albion Football club. What this debate is proving is that Gus is a very loyal man. This can be seen as a fantastic thing in many situations, linking in with the great team ethic we have at the club and the idea that everyone is part of a "squad". Gus sticking by his man, the same way he has shown while being at this club, should be applauded by Albion fans.

However, in terms of the actual issue being debated, I cannot fully support Gus's reasoning. The fact is that Suarez has been living and working in England, with British and other ethnicities. He should be, as a grown man no matter where he is from, aware of what is acceptable in the country he is in. Whether it is right or wrong in peoples eyes you cannot go around calling people (I think the term used was 'negro'?) things on the pitch in the heat of the moment. Suarez used this term during a heated scuffle on the pitch with Evra. It was not said while joking on the pitch or as a general remark in discussion. It was said in retaliation towards Evra. The intent was evidentally to get back at him. No way can anybody claim that Suarez was trying to calm Evra down by calling him a 'Negro'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus should shut the f*** up. The reason? Every paper will be carrying the story: "Suarez defended by BRIGHTON manager Gus Poyet", "ALBION boss defends Suarez" etc.

Even Gus himself doesn't understand what he's dealing with here. I stand by what I said the first time Gus defended Suarez - for the good of the Albion Bloom needs to gag him on this.

Gag him because it's gonna be misconstrued by the media? Not really a good enough reason imo. The club has no reason to kow tow to the PC brigade on this.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here