Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus is trending on Twitter again!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why would Suarez say something like that in a racist way anyway? He has Black ancestors? So in a way you can see Poyets point admittedly with this country people such a bunch of nansies flounce over anything that could possibly be construde as racist, I really don't understand all this racist stuff anymore, its getting ridiculous

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Gus is right. Everyone needs to chill the f*** out.

This. Gus is transcending above the usual Daily Mail brigade, who'd tarnish Suarez as a 'racist twat', actually taking other cultures into account. His comments this time round seem even more intelligent and less inflammatory than before anyway.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus's comments were originally made in Ultimas Noticias and picked up by the British national dailies. Uruguayans in Montevideo would see the issue from a different viewpoint to us.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Why would Suarez say something like that in a racist way anyway? He has Black ancestors? So in a way you can see Poyets point admittedly with this country people such a bunch of nansies flounce over anything that could possibly be construde as racist, I really don't understand all this racist stuff anymore, its getting ridiculous

So he is a nigga. And a nigga calling a nigga a nigga is normally considered ok? No?

If I were living in Africa and was referred by a FELLOW PROFESSIONAL WHO KNOWS MY PROPER NAME as "little white boy", I would call that demeaning, belittling, and not a little racially disrespectful.

Gus, you need to think this through - we do not overlook this sort of thing as cultural, or as acceptable.
Suarez needs to learn, and he's getting a lesson now. Simples.

The PC Brigade? This is the mainstream media we're taking about. Racism creates controversy, and controversy makes stories which sell papers and fills airtime.

Yes, Bloom should gag him because the club is being associated with defending a player convicted of racism. This battle belongs to Suarez and Liverpool, not Poyet. If they do things differently in South America then let Maxi Rodriguez or Lucas defend their team-mate, unless - of course - it's considered also racist in Argentina and Brazil and it's only Uruguay where the blacks cop it in this way.

Suarez hasn't been convicted of anything,he's been judged by a pathetic organisation that thinks it's acceptable to fine BHAFC for protesting about a penalty that was a yard(at least)outside the box.
Bunch of silly old Blazers.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If I were living in Africa and was referred by a FELLOW PROFESSIONAL WHO KNOWS MY PROPER NAME as "little white boy", I would call that demeaning, belittling, and not a little racially disrespectful.

Gus, you need to think this through - we do not overlook this sort of thing as cultural, or as acceptable.

What a sensible post.

However on the basis of the evidence so far revealed, I can't agree with the various commentators that the long ban sends out the right message. It appears to have split opinion. Those that feel that Evra has played a race card or that Suarez is a racist. Got to be a better way of dealing with it. Public apology, public make up - Suarez acknowledging that what he said was not acceptable in this country, but willing to learn and move on.

If true (as reported) that Evra made reference to his race when booked, well his is as guilty of being culturally naive.

Last edited:

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Bollocks, it was all about who had the best weaponry, right from the dawn of mankind. The only reason the East is becoming dominant now is sheer weight of numbers. High population = cheap labour=cheap goods= bouyant exports= more income=more power

And how do you get better weaponary? By invention and discovery of which glass is very important but also access to resources. Geography is key

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
Bollocks, it was all about who had the best weaponry, right from the dawn of mankind. The only reason the East is becoming dominant now is sheer weight of numbers. High population = cheap labour=cheap goods= bouyant exports= more income=more power

If you look through history at the most powerful nations, China was pretty much the most powerful from around the Roman times in 100AD until around 1700AD and yes it may be down to weaponary but my original point was "white" people haven't been superior for all of time, but only recent history have they been more technologically advanced

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.

But you are not living in Africa are you? So all you say is nonsense. Supposition.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Not necessarily. Yes, if anyone uses the phrase 'little black guy' or 'little white boy' to an adult in English, chances are it is likely to be meant and received as patronising. Fact is, though, while 'little black guy' is the closest translation of 'negrito' we have in English, there really is no equivalent word that has a long history of being used from generation to generation as a genuine word of friendship/endearment.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Yes, if anyone uses the phrase 'little black guy' or 'little white boy' to an adult in English, chances are it is likely to be meant and received as patronising. Fact is, though, while 'little black guy' is the closest translation of 'negrito' we have in English, there really is no equivalent word that has a long history of being used from generation to generation as a genuine word of friendship/endearment.

Good work there - but WHY refer to his colour in any fashion, when it is IRRELEVENT to ANYTHING??

It doesn't MATTER if I have lived in Africa or what colour I am - if, in any part of the world I am named or addressed by my skin colour, there is no need or excuse for that.

"Hello, I notice that you are pigmented somewhat, in an amount that categorizes you as.... (insert generalisation terminology here), I shall refer to this several times as we carry out our profession - even if you may find it distasteful".

Not much reading between the lines required there, is there?
In case you aren't up with the program - it's racism.

Addenda; This has been seen as racist by the governing body over the sport, and I'll take their judgment as having been the rule of thumb for these professionals to live by. Them's their rules, they preside, they decided, so that's how it is.

Last edited:

I was discussing this with a black mate of mine at work today. He thinks the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion and is actually counter-productive in combatting racism. He admits it takes a lot to offend him but what he finds very objectionable is people getting "offended" on other people's/race's/religion's/sexual orientation's behalf. Winds him right up it does. Thankfully he doesn't read NSC.

So this case was started by Evra, and he should demand a court of "coloured people" to judge it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I was in Malawi for 6 weeks and frequently referred to as Mzungu, meaning 'White Man'. I didn't find it offensive in the slightest. Nor was it meant to be offensive.

I don't think the FA are the right body to judge what is and what isn't offensive.

If they are going to ban someone for 8 matches for that, why not ban someone like Rooney for 3/4 matches for being offensive towards people - just watching MOTD, he seems (along with many others) to tell all and sundry to 'f*** off'.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
got nothing to do with BHA. gus is probably the highest profile/senior uruguayan in the uk - football or otherwise- so makes sense for him to comment on this. the fa investigation should have been public - then we could all know what they thought he did/said etc

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Good work there - but WHY refer to his colour in any fashion, when it is IRRELEVENT to ANYTHING??

It doesn't MATTER if I have lived in Africa or what colour I am - if, in any part of the world I am named or addressed by my skin colour, there is no need or excuse for that.

"Hello, I notice that you are pigmented somewhat, in an amount that categorizes you as.... (insert generalisation terminology here), I shall refer to this several times as we carry out our profession - even if you may find it distasteful".

Not much reading between the lines required there, is there?
In case you aren't up with the program - it's racism.

Regarding referring to someone's colour, that's one of the key cultural differences at the heart of the issue. In English polite society, it is usually considered rude and unnecessary to refer to someone's skin colour, particularly if it's different to your own. Instead, you get well-meaning people in this country trying to be anti-racist by saying things like 'I don't care what skin colour or race you are.' When I went to school, I certainly remember teachers saying things along these lines.

Looking at it from a different perspective, such from a more typically South American perspective, ignoring aspects of someone else's different racial and ethnic heritage may be seen as more disrespectful than respectful. With someone's difference in skin colour, how much more respectful it is to be acknowledging it, valuing it and affirming it? Much more, so say many Uruguayans. When someone is addressed as 'negrito', it's done with a record of having previously been used to express affinity and celebrate and love our differences. it's just a different way and it has a place in the world too.

Suarez definitely needs to learn, though, that the Uruguayan way is not the only way in the world and take responsibility for how his words land with others from a different perspective.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Addenda; This has been seen as racist by the governing body over the sport, and I'll take their judgment as having been the rule of thumb for these professionals to live by. Them's their rules, they preside, they decided, so that's how it is.

Just a few years ago .. ok 300... this was said to convict witches. Them's the rules they preside... bla bla bla bla ... But ok.. you are right and I am wrong (without evidence but what do you care about evidence? )

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
There does appear to be some delicate thin-skinned people who think that Brighton's name is being dragged through the mud. They are also missing the point.

Gus is being asked for his opinion because he is Uruguayan, not because he is the Brighton manager. Rio Ferdinand's tweet is as insulting as it it thick.

FWIW, people are once again looking for racism (in this case in Gus), where none exists. A cultural consideration is being offered here, and some English people, because they disagree with his point of view, don't like it and look to censor him.

well said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here