Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal music: a campaign to make sure we never have it at the Amex

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
It's amazing how many grounds, in all divisions, have gradually introduced these elements into game. I wonder if there are fans at these clubs who really dislike it, but now that it's been established feel they can't change things ?
By the way why is it that by the time we get to page 4 of any sensible thread it tends to have develped into a more personal argument ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Signed.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
As Gus said when asked at the recent Fan's Forum about how we stop the new young fans getting drawn to the 'big' clubs. His answer?

"Win."

He knows you don't need music.
Precisely. It's not these big clubs that do this shit anyway, for the most part - it's tinpot idiots who think they need a crap theme tune for their goals to get fans in.

Really there's only going to be two types of people on this issue, those that hate it and those that think it's alright. No one is going to go to a football match because they want to hear Tom Hark when a goal goes in. No one.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We've been using Pigbag since the late 90s. ... even sing it away from home. Was it needed? No. Does it curtail our celebrations? No. Does it bother me? No. Is it needed when the teams come out? No but it still happens. You still play GOSBTS when the teams come out? Is it needed?

It's a difficult one for you because there are thousands that go to Chelsea, Arsenal & so on rather than Falmer and are probably accustomed to this sort of thing. They will try Falmer but if they feel it's missing the 'atmosphere' they're used to, they may not return. You may say 'So what?' but you need people turning up in numbers?

If you don't want it, you've got to start singing yourselves ... sitting down of course!

Are you seriously suggesting that fans of Premier League clubs will make their decision to come to watch the Albion or not based on whether we play crap music every time a goal goes in or not? Oh please :rolleyes:

They will come because the team are playing well, and to some extent because the facilities will shame many PL and Championship (hi there, QPR:bigwave:) clubs and because it's OUR local team. The music when a team runs out is par for the course, and personally I can't WAIT to hear GOSBTS when we first run out at Falmer: that will be genuine shiver-down-the-spine moment. Pigbag could be any club's so I can understand your apathy: GOSBTS is unique to us, and we love it. But it wouldn't work after goals.

Just because QPR have long since been sucked into the giant SkySports theatre of artificial footballing experiences as a result of a few years in the PL and the Championship, doesn't mean it automatically follows that all clubs must turn into such plastic creations.

I WANT us to be different, I want us to remain a football club, not a "matchday experience". No goal music :clap2:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Imagine that Swindon play off game, that glorious Virgo moment which seemed to go on forever, cut short after half a second because some BUMHAT in the PA box thought that what the situation really required was a quick rendition of Pigbag at 130 decibels over our tinny speakers.

:

I'm liking the use of the term 'BUMHAT' immensely...:lolol:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
while i quite appreciate it in the nhl, due to it being an arena with good acoustics (and the amount of noise the crowd make, its goes well together) with players having their own jingles, i would HATE it at the AMEX and it sounds NAFF at a stadium on some tinpot pa system. keep it away from football, and keep it to american sports (where i actually quite like it, no idea why)

This.

And I like it in America because its American and its part of their sport culture. Here its not, and we're adopting it, and doing it wrong.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm liking the use of the term 'BUMHAT' immensely...:lolol:

I must credit someone else on here for that one...can't remember who it was...Simster perhaps?

It is, indeed, a quality expression :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Signed

Although I won't object if they play a loud airhorn over the speakers in the away end after any goal they score

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I must credit someone else on here for that one...can't remember who it was...Simster perhaps?

It is, indeed, a quality expression :thumbsup:

Either way it shall be incorporated in all aspects of life from here on in! Especially at work...:thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either way it shall be incorporated in all aspects of life from here on in! Especially at work...:thumbsup:

s'alright for you I guess.

Personally, I suspect saying "You're NICKED, you BUMHAT", though tremendously tempting, might be less fun to explain in court afterwards.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
s'alright for you I guess.

Personally, I suspect saying "You're NICKED, you BUMHAT", though tremendously tempting, might be less fun to explain in court afterwards.

"That's B.U.M.H.A.T, your honour...

Burglar
Using
Mask
Hoodie
And
Trackybottoms

?"

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i couldn't be more in support of this idea.

in fact, the moment i hear music after goals at falmer, i'm going back to being an away fan.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Half the clubs that play stupid goal music only do it when they score, but not for the opposition.

Which leaves them looking like even bigger twunts when 1000 away fans taunt them with a lairy acoustic version of Pigbag/Tom Hark/Chelsea Dagger/Song 2/Insert Annoying Tune Here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here