Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal music: a campaign to make sure we never have it at the Amex

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I blame that bloke at Brisbane road who used to shout gooooooooaaaaallll. He started it.

Also thought playing "we are the champions" and so on ruined the celbrations after the match at Cardiff.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Are you seriously suggesting that fans of Premier League clubs will make their decision to come to watch the Albion or not based on whether we play crap music every time a goal goes in or not? Oh please :rolleyes:

No I'm not. I am saying there are a lot of plastics following the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea because of their success. They have become used to the 'experience' of Premier league football and a certain 'atmosphere'. These people have to have the atmosphere created for them. They will go to Falmer in the early days but if you cannot create their idea of an atmosphere and you're not winning, they won't return.

They will come because the team are playing well, and to some extent because the facilities will shame many PL and Championship (hi there, QPR:bigwave:) clubs and because it's OUR local team.

They will go initially because you've got a new ground. They will return if you do well. They won't go because you're the local team otherwise they'd be going already. They won't go if the facilities are wonderful but you're losing.

Just because QPR have long since been sucked into the giant SkySports theatre of artificial footballing experiences as a result of a few years in the PL and the Championship, doesn't mean it automatically follows that all clubs must turn into such plastic creations.

Have you been to Loftus Road?

I WANT us to be different, I want us to remain a football club, not a "matchday experience". No goal music :clap2:

I can understand that. Problem is, particularly if you get promoted into the artificial theatre of the PL, your club will change and you may find your club doesn't value you quite as much as you would want them to.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No I'm not. I am saying there are a lot of plastics following the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea because of their success. They have become used to the 'experience' of Premier league football and a certain 'atmosphere'. These people have to have the atmosphere created for them. They will go to Falmer in the early days but if you cannot create their idea of an atmosphere and you're not winning, they won't return.
That's just your opinion, but you're trying to present it as fact. You never know, they might like the 'do-it-yourself' atmosphere of non-choreographed cheering after a goal has been scored: "Isn't it brilliant the way we don't all have to sing the same thing at the same time every time we score a goal Dad?"

Goal music is is another extension of the control the authorities like to excert on football crowds: "Sit down, shut up ... now all clap and cheer and sing in unision!" You at QPR may have given up the fight and gone over to the dark side, but we're made of sterner stuff!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You at QPR may have given up the fight and gone over to the dark side, but we're made of sterner stuff!

Power to the people! :lolol:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
That's just your opinion, but you're trying to present it as fact.
No I'm not. It's my opinion based on my experiences - that is all.
Goal music is is another extension of the control the authorities like to excert on football crowds: "Sit down, shut up ... now all clap and cheer and sing in unision!"

Playing a song part of authoritarian control on football crowds? Sounds ever so slightly paranoid.

Feb 14, 2010
signed, if it ever happened then we might as well give up pretend the we never were a proper football club, admit the gulls eye lads and the rest of us fought in vain and gie up, accepting that that the albion have become another poxy palace or some other shit club with no soul. Withdean is poxy but it was better than gillingham, we expect the new place to start to feel like home, and have a soul

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No I'm not. It's my opinion based on my experiences - that is all.
HOW is it your experience? Where have you experienced people saying "I'm not going there any more because they don't play music after goals". Failing that can you point to one club (even outside your experience) who have suffered decling attendances and upon investigation found that the reason was 'lack of goal music'?

Playing a song part of authoritarian control on football crowds? Sounds ever so slightly paranoid.
Just because it sounds paranoid to you doesn't mean it's wrong. The authorities do want compliant crowds who do what they're told when they're told to do it so that everyone can have a 'safe and enjoyable experience'. And yes, having orchestrated cheering is part of that. If you've read other threads on here you'll see there's a large number if us, a gratifyingly large number of us, who hate that approach as to us it's not what watching football is all about. Antediluvian throwbacks fighting a losing battle? Maybe, but let us fight it.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Haven't got time to read all the replies on here.

Where do I sign to agree to no goal music? Its crap and we're much better than that.

Any chance of making sure that no big drums ever get into the stadium either?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I can't stand goal music, but I hope the club don't dismiss it as easily as it is done here. We need as many people in The Amex as possible and if goal music helps (chuff knows why) then so be it.

Sure, as proper fans we all know better, but that doesn't mean we should get everything that suits only us.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Totally agree, no goal music ever! The reason I only ever went to one twenty 20 match was because of the shit music everytime someone hit a boundary or was out. Hate it with a passion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here