Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
How will that work?

Seaford is single track, are they really going to have an empty train blocking up Seaford Station for most of a Saturday afternoon?

If they're going to park it somewhere down there, surely Newhaven Marine or whatever that thing is called is the only choice.

They won't leave it at Seaford. The branch is signalled as "only one train at a time" beyond Newhaven Harbour. Newhaven Marine is effectively closed off.

Although the Brighton to Lewes line may be signalled as bi-directional on both lines, it would only be operated like that in an emergency. You wouldn't have two trains shuttling up and down on sparate lines, be far too confusing for all the platform announcement machines.

The whole planning permission for the Falmer stadium was based on the fact that Southern would run a shuttle between Brighton, where there are usually spare platforms on Saturday on the East side, and Lewes, where there is a bay platform on the South side. I assumed that trains would be turned around at Lewes.

The reason for including this in the planning permission was it cut down on the need for huge car-parking space at Falmer, which was not available with the present site, only the coach-park on the east (LDC-controlled) side.

How did the trains used to cope at Hove??? I recall that there was only one extra train run on match days (I am talking early/mid '90's) which ran from Littlehampton to Hove and returned after the game. What happened in the "good old days" of 5 figure crowds?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How did the trains used to cope at Hove??? I recall that there was only one extra train run on match days (I am talking early/mid '90's) which ran from Littlehampton to Hove and returned after the game. What happened in the "good old days" of 5 figure crowds?

They could have 12 carriage trains. Falmer will have 3-4

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

The Goldstone was in walking distance of pubs/bus stops/parking spaces and people's homes. This is a lot less true with the Amex.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Goldstone was in walking distance of pubs/bus stops/parking spaces and people's homes. This is a lot less true with the Amex.

There's a pub over the road from the Amex and another one about 15 minutes walk away. There's a bus-stop just outside that has 10 buses every hour (and that's before any additional football buses), with two other bus stops 15 minutes away, and there are two big housing estates within a short walk of the area. And parking wasn't that easy at Goldstone, you generally had to park 15 minutes walk away.

I think the Amex is better served for transport TBH, the train station is closer and there are more buses and there'll be more parking. If not the P&R, there's plenty of parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean, with no parking restrictions.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
me and my pal were talking to a steward at the orient jpt farce, allegedly after saturday home games they are opening up all the concourses so you can meet up with other friends for a beer and to watch the evening sky game on one of the many screens all around the stadium, hopefully encouraging a more staggered exit of fans after the match.

Yes its called the 12 to 7 experience that the Albion marketing bods are pushing hard

It will be very interesting to see how many people want to hang around after a match as it is not something that british crowds do as a matter of course. If the trains are packed, then I can see people hanging around until the "crowds" have gone, and of course, the ,longer punters are at the ground the more money they will spend.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There's a pub over the road from the Amex and another one about 15 minutes walk away. There's a bus-stop just outside that has 10 buses every hour (and that's before any additional football buses), with two other bus stops 15 minutes away, and there are two big housing estates within a short walk of the area. And parking wasn't that easy at Goldstone, you generally had to park 15 minutes walk away.

I think the Amex is better served for transport TBH, the train station is closer and there are more buses and there'll be more parking. If not the P&R, there's plenty of parking in Moulsecoomb and Coldean, with no parking restrictions.

All fair points but the Goldstone would have been walkable for a lot more people.
Is the Hikers really only a fifteen minute walk?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All fair points but the Goldstone would have been walkable for a lot more people.
Is the Hikers really only a fifteen minute walk?

I agree that the Goldstone would have been more walkable for more people but the Amex's transport links are better.

It takes me about 22/23 minutes to walk to Falmer station and the Hikers is about 6/7 minutes away from my house, so yes, 15 mins is about right.

But the club must have also submitted something, to indicate feasibility at the very least, with the original application surely?

There was information provided in the "update" application approved by BHCC in April 2009 (Application ref: 2008/02372).

I think this should link you to the relevant page on the council's website, then click on "documents":

planning register - Brighton Hove City Council

Hope it helps with the insomnia.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The whole planning permission for the Falmer stadium was based on the fact that Southern would run a shuttle between Brighton...

the whole permission for Falmer was based around the fact there is a station at all. all the realistic alternatives had no rail option at all (bar Waterhall) and still all the same accessibility drawbacks of being on the edge of the city. buses will be the real answer along with open bars after the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was information provided in the "update" application approved by BHCC in April 2009 (Application ref: 2008/02372).

I think this should link you to the relevant page on the council's website, then click on "documents":

planning register - Brighton Hove City Council

Hope it helps with the insomnia.

I was hoping someone would provide and executive summary.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But the club must have also submitted something, to indicate feasibility at the very least, with the original application surely?
As far as the trains are concerned we submiited a letter from Connex which pretty much just said "Yeah, we can cope. Don't worry about it."

There is another thread somewhere where Lord B explains it in a bit more detail. He realised it might be a problem but obviously kept schtum during the planning process. I had fondly imagined that we'd be running shuttles between Falmer and Brighton seeing as westbound passengers would probably make up most of the numbers.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

That's quite comforting to hear as you're pretty much a 'local'. My unscientific guess is that people will try the train initially and IF the capacity problems prove too much then they'll switch to driving. A 15/20 minute walk to and from the unrestricted parking in Coldean sounds ok; for the Goldstone I used to park near Aldrington Station and walk; that must have been about 15 minutes. Coldean parking will save the hassle with the Park 'n' Ride busses as well.

(Doesn't affect me as I'm looking forward to using my travel voucher on the 25 bus.)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's quite comforting to hear as you're pretty much a 'local'. My unscientific guess is that people will try the train initially and IF the capacity problems prove too much then they'll switch to driving. A 15/20 minute walk to and from the unrestricted parking in Coldean sounds ok; for the Goldstone I used to park near Aldrington Station and walk; that must have been about 15 minutes. Coldean parking will save the hassle with the Park 'n' Ride busses as well.

(Doesn't affect me as I'm looking forward to using my travel voucher on the 25 bus.)

Moulsecoomb's even closer and also has unrestricted parking - although the eastern part of the estate is also the dodgiest. But Coldean will be an attractive option for many people -although I'd imagine the places nearest Lewes Road will fill up quicker.

The other thing, that I've only just thought about, is the Big Lemon service will also serve that area. I bet that they'll take the opportunity to run a few extra services on match day

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes its called the 12 to 7 experience that the Albion marketing bods are pushing hard

It will be very interesting to see how many people want to hang around after a match as it is not something that british crowds do as a matter of course. If the trains are packed, then I can see people hanging around until the "crowds" have gone, and of course, the ,longer punters are at the ground the more money they will spend.

Agreed, I'm struggling to believe that those who do want post-match drinks will want to hang around the stadium through choice, nomatter how nice the concourse areas and bars are.

But I say that purely from the personal viewpoint of wanting to head into town and the pubs there.

Of course, if transport away from the ground is not a quick and slick experience for everyone other than those who depart before the end of the game, then people may well linger, but it may not be completely through choice.

I do have a horrible feeling that the 'rush to the bus' will be worse at Falmer than experienced anywhere else and I hate that 'last 10 minute' period when it seems half the crowd are trying to make a quick escape.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
People seem very worried about the trains. There will be trains and a LOT of buses. Like LOADS of buses.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I noticed a couple of weeks back that the Stanley Arms in Fishersgate was running a minibus to and from Withdean for their regulars.

This may be something worth considering for other pubs in the area, if Falmer transport becomes an issue. Having said that the Stanley Arms has had so many good things worth copying over the years, but sadly so few pub landlords seem to get this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here