Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Coming from the other direction I imagine its going to be a pain to get to by train currently I go from horsham to three bridges then go straight through from three bridges to preston park but I guess it will mean another change at Brighton for us. Oh well it will be worth it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The whole situation of getting back to Brighton after a game is down to Southern trains at the end of the day, If they're willing to adjust the timings of the normal Lewes to brighton service then they could squeeze in a couple of extra trains to run fast from Falmer to brighton after a game. They do it once a year for the Lewes bonfire night but it remains to be seen if they are willing to do it every other Saturday for the football.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
The whole situation of getting back to Brighton after a game is down to Southern trains at the end of the day, If they're willing to adjust the timings of the normal Lewes to brighton service then they could squeeze in a couple of extra trains to run fast from Falmer to brighton after a game. They do it once a year for the Lewes bonfire night but it remains to be seen if they are willing to do it every other Saturday for the football.

" this service is suspended due to a football match"

somehow i cannot see southern suspending train services even if it is benificial to safety at falmer station.

D

Deleted User X18H

TBH I can't see a problem. A the the moment there are 7 trains to Falmer from Brighton between 1.30 and 2.40pm. And five trains back between 5pm and 6.05pm.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
How many people are going to be leaving early to avoid the Japanese human train crush experience though? Personally I'm looking forward to the freedom of cycling to Falmer, arriving and departing on my own agenda.

D

Deleted User X18H

Thats 5 4car trains that could allready be pretty much full by the time they get to falmer.

They could increase capacity and run 8 or 12 car trains, and just open the front six doors. They do it every day at Portslade.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why Portslade station holds 12 carriages easily or has it changed since i moved?

Not on the down side towards Worthing it doesn't. Don't you remember in 1990 Pete when we all went up to London during the world cup and a pissed up Burley couldn't get off the train as he was too far back and had to go on to Shoreham instead.

This insn't the time when we got ripped off in the titty bar in Soho!

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Not on the down side towards Worthing it doesn't. Don't you remember in 1990 Pete when we all went up to London during the world cup and a pissed up Burley couldn't get off the train as he was too far back and had to go on to Shoreham instead.

This insn't the time when we got ripped off in the titty bar in Soho!

memory fails at times but Burley ended up at Shoreham because he was on the fast train that does not stop at Portslade .

D

Deleted User X18H

memory fails at times but Burley ended up at Shoreham because he was on the fast train that does not stop at Portslade .

Well me Cruvvers, Savage and Hulmie (RIP) ran through the train giggling like girls to make sure we got off.

Maybe you weren't there.

Sep 1, 2010
HB&B, stop being rude to a guy that has given us a magnificent website countdown2falmer, that was a really harsh reply. I know you gave a 'mini' apology, if only your tolerance was given equal attention to your writing.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Some people are really going to town over the Falmer station thing.

Maybe the ground should have been situated, like so many others, far away from the nearest railway station.

falmer station puts the ground within 30 mins travelling time of most of Sussex. so you may have to wait a while to get on a crowded train, so what? The ground and facilities will still be open.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
How many people are going to be leaving early to avoid the Japanese human train crush experience though? Personally I'm looking forward to the freedom of cycling to Falmer, arriving and departing on my own agenda.

That's also another idea. Drive and park the car in Lewes and then take the cycle path to Falmer. It's 4.5 miles, and since it looks relatively flat I could probably do this in 40 minutes.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My current plan is to drive to Lewes, park near the prison (unless of course they restrict all the roads round there), then catch the 29. If they restrict those roads, the Nevill Estate isn't too far to walk from to the bus stop. Here's hoping that will work!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It seems like a similar problem to when we were at Villa last season. That station, name eludes me, was very small, and the trains must only have been every 10-15 minutes (similar to Falmer currently). There was a wait there, of about 45 minutes for those at the back of the queue, but that was a much larger attendance.
Its almost certain you'll have to queue a short while if you dont leave early, but its hardly a massive issue. Might be a couple of games where away fans will have to be held in the station though.

It seems like a similar problem to when we were at Villa last season. That station, name eludes me, was very small, and the trains must only have been every 10-15 minutes (similar to Falmer currently). There was a wait there, of about 45 minutes for those at the back of the queue, but that was a much larger attendance.
Its almost certain you'll have to queue a short while if you dont leave early, but its hardly a massive issue. Might be a couple of games where away fans will have to be held in the station though.
The name of the Villa station is Witton. Long queues have always formed there - I can remember the same thing at the 1966 World Cup matches - when far fewer people travelled by car than do now.

The same applies at West Ham and even at Leyton Orient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here