Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The name of the Villa station is Witton. Long queues have always formed there - I can remember the same thing at the 1966 World Cup matches - when far fewer people travelled by car than do now.

The same applies at West Ham and even at Leyton Orient.

Thats the one, similar issue with a small station with trains about as reguarly as Falmer, its not perfect, but its not a major issue.

When you say about Orient, im sure i've never queued for the train up there the last couple of seasons.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There are plans to reopen the platform at Lewes that is filled in with pebbles to allow for an additional service

:jester:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Whenever I've taken the train from the game back to Seaford, it's standing room only until Lewes.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
slightly off topic but has anyone seen bojos new bike hire service in london?

it probably wouldn't be viable but a few hundred hire bikes at brighton main station could offer another alternative to the train.

personally i think it will be fine, there will be local buses including the bendy buses, the train, no doubt plenty of coaches from across sussex and beyond also a fair few fans will be within walking distance.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
It would make sense the put more services on match days but then sense and railway companies don't always mix well.

thats a really good idea, perhaps you should write to Martin Perry and let him know your thoughts.......

well done:thumbsup:

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
How many people are going to be leaving early to avoid the Japanese human train crush experience though? Personally I'm looking forward to the freedom of cycling to Falmer, arriving and departing on my own agenda.

yeah im toying with that, I live in lindfield though so its a bit of a trek, it'll probably still be quicker than farting around on the train though

D

Deleted User X18H

thats a really good idea, perhaps you should write to Martin Perry and let him know your thoughts.......

well done:thumbsup:

I am pretty sure Tony Bloom and Chris Burchall have a had a few afternoon tiffin's at the Tufty Club just recently.:wink:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All aboard the Seagulls Special :thumbsup:

3901292001_dae21d9e3e_z.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm wondering whether away fans travelling by train to the game will advised to book tickets to Brighton only and then use the bus service to and from the stadium , eg 700 fans = 5 bendybuses.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Only one extra trian from Brighton direct to Falmer, which will then run empty to Seaford. Will wait there until end of the game return to Falmer and on to Brighton. Hope the bars will be open after the game otherwise may be quite crowded on the way home!

me and my pal were talking to a steward at the orient jpt farce, allegedly after saturday home games they are opening up all the concourses so you can meet up with other friends for a beer and to watch the evening sky game on one of the many screens all around the stadium, hopefully encouraging a more staggered exit of fans after the match.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
me and my pal were talking to a steward at the orient jpt farce, allegedly after saturday home games they are opening up all the concourses so you can meet up with other friends for a beer and to watch the evening sky game on one of the many screens all around the stadium, hopefully encouraging a more staggered exit of fans after the match.

In many cases, there's a staggered entrance of fans as well -- depending on how many pubs they've hit along the way....

Oh, wait that's 'staggering'....

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

yep, this is true, confirmed on Stadium Tour recently. You will be allowed re-entry if for example the train queues are bad as well.

PG

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club must have had to produce a transport study as part of the planning application. How did this suggest the crowd would leave the stadium?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If HB&B's posts on this thread are serious then where the f*** has he been for the last five years? Not only is he rude but completely wrong.

I'd quit like to cycle but being a "proper" cyclist, i.e. Liking to cycle at 15-30mph, cycling in Brighton is already a nightmare thanks to people cycling at walking pace and it would be hell after a game.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I can't see the train scenario working well, I'll probably see how the park and ride works first.

There are plans to reopen the platform at Lewes that is filled in with pebbles to allow for an additional service

:jester:

Won't they be able to reverse them, send them up the re-opened Uckfield - Lewes line and park them in the sidings at Crowborough or is that a pig that I just saw fly past? With the benefit of hindsight it would have been nice if they had not singled Newhaven - Seaford not all that many years back as I recall that Seaford had two long platforms and a carriage siding.

Anyone in the know out there who could confirm if Brighton - Lewes has enough "ooomph" in the third rail to run 8 or even 12 car trains bearing in mind that the service is already quite frequent, five trains an hour I think although one is the diseasel Brighton - Ashford service.

My preferred scenario would be to drive to Lewes and get the train from there although I don't think that the car park is all that massive (although the Southern website claims 272 spaces, is there another bit of the car park that I don't know about??)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here