Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd quit like to cycle but being a "proper" cyclist, i.e. Liking to cycle at 15-30mph, cycling in Brighton is already a nightmare thanks to people cycling at walking pace and it would be hell after a game.

The Lewes Road route is pretty good - plenty of room to overtake. The problem tends to be parked cars in the cycle lane more than anything else.

I do see a difficulty past Coldean Lane though. The cycle lane at the moment is a pavement shared with pedestrians - this is normally reasonably clear - but I can't see it being so on match days. But cycling on the road is not for the faint-hearted, it's like a motorway there (a cyclist was killed there a couple of months ago).

I'm planning on cycling to games - I hope that the traffic build-up is such that cycling on the road won't be like Russian roulette, as the bike path is clearly going to be non-starter. I might end up by walking it, but at least it's under 30 minutes away.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think for fans from the North it might be easier to go to Lewes and change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The club must have had to produce a transport study as part of the planning application. How did this suggest the crowd would leave the stadium?

Anyone know?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The one thing about the trains I would say is that these 313-class trains - the veal crates on wheels - have narrower seating, and therefore more standing room.

In other words, you can cram more people in for the nine minute journey from Brighton.

The club must have had to produce a transport study as part of the planning application. How did this suggest the crowd would leave the stadium?

The transport management plan has to be submitted to BHCC for approval before (I understand at least six months) the first event at Falmer; without this approval, the stadium can't open (a condition of the planning consent).
As yet, it hasn't been and there are some issues still to be finalised; for example - final confirmation of the P&R sites and a current "shortfall" in the parking available close to the stadium. The planning consent requires there to be 2000-2200 car parking spaces available within (I think) 1.2km of the stadium. However, I don't think those originally designated for Falmer High School are available now it is an Academy. Clearly, if the 2000 minimum figure cannot be met then a variation to the planning consent will be required.

D

Deleted User X18H

The one thing about the trains I would say is that these 313-class trains - the veal crates on wheels - have narrower seating, and therefore more standing room.

In other words, you can cram more people in for the nine minute journey from Brighton.

Do these trains have windows? Imagine getting stuck at a signal (especially on the viaduct) after a few pre match pints in the Queen's Head, or whatever The Nightingale is called now.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Lewes Road route is pretty good - plenty of room to overtake. The problem tends to be parked cars in the cycle lane more than anything else.

I do see a difficulty past Coldean Lane though. The cycle lane at the moment is a pavement shared with pedestrians - this is normally reasonably clear - but I can't see it being so on match days. But cycling on the road is not for the faint-hearted, it's like a motorway there (a cyclist was killed there a couple of months ago).

I'm planning on cycling to games - I hope that the traffic build-up is such that cycling on the road won't be like Russian roulette, as the bike path is clearly going to be non-starter. I might end up by walking it, but at least it's under 30 minutes away.

I seem to remember a new cycle line is being laid to run in front of the Falmer school, but cannot find anything about it now.

The cycle lanes okay around Coldean Lane but you need to slow a bit and be aware of oncoming cyclists and pedestrians. I imagine the subway will be rammed with people trying to get their bikes across, so may be worth finding a cycle stand in the university.

I am always impressed at the 100's of bikes at St Marys and the facilities and space given over to people who cycle.

Pat McCrotch

Lurker
Oct 25, 2005
Shoreham-by-the-sea
simple answer to all this....

att0001415.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I'll be getting on at Berwick so parking should be fine for me, its the cram back I'm dreading.

i cant see many people parking in scotland before a game to get the train down

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
after saturday home games they are opening up all the concourses so you can meet up with other friends for a beer and to watch the evening sky game on one of the many screens all around the stadium, hopefully encouraging a more staggered exit of fans after the match.

yep, this is true, confirmed on Stadium Tour recently. You will be allowed re-entry if for example the train queues are bad as well.

PG

all of these little things are very encouraging. it seems like the club has thought of so many of the finer details which will really make the stadium awesome :clap2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The transport management plan has to be submitted to BHCC for approval before (I understand at least six months) the first event at Falmer; without this approval, the stadium can't open (a condition of the planning consent).
As yet, it hasn't been and there are some issues still to be finalised; for example - final confirmation of the P&R sites and a current "shortfall" in the parking available close to the stadium. The planning consent requires there to be 2000-2200 car parking spaces available within (I think) 1.2km of the stadium. However, I don't think those originally designated for Falmer High School are available now it is an Academy. Clearly, if the 2000 minimum figure cannot be met then a variation to the planning consent will be required.

But the club must have also submitted something, to indicate feasibility at the very least, with the original application surely?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Has anyone mentioned that the trains on this line have no toilets?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The name of the Villa station is Witton. Long queues have always formed there - I can remember the same thing at the 1966 World Cup matches - when far fewer people travelled by car than do now.

The same applies at West Ham and even at Leyton Orient.
Indeed. The queue for the tube at Orient whenever we take more than a handful is always ridiculous. When we had 3,000-3,500 there, you could easily end up waiting half an hour to get on the tube.

Of course it's one thing to put up with it on an away day, another thing entirely to expect fans to do so every other week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here