Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train when Falmer opens

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
possibly but they only have 2 mini buses and 8 single decker buses/coaches at present

Nah, they have a whole fleet of double decker buses. There's plenty of capacity there - they scarcely run in the evenings and have a reduced service at weekends.

I'd have thought that the council will be moving in and restricting parking to avoid all sorts of problems (and the added revenue for permits).

When they've done that, it's always been because of parking pressures - there are no parking pressures in this side of Brighton. Coldean is half empty on Saturday afternoons, I can't see there much resident demand for parking permits. It might be more problematic for evening games but I can't see people voting for permits because of a few hours for a couple of evenings a year.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

When they've done that, it's always been because of parking pressures - there are no parking pressures in this side of Brighton. Coldean is half empty on Saturday afternoons, I can't see there much resident demand for parking permits. It might be more problematic for evening games but I can't see people voting for permits because of a few hours for a couple of evenings a year.
Just an aside on 'how far will people walk?' we've got some friends who live in Southampton. They live in an area where all the on-street parking is residents only (controlled by permits) or their guests (controlled by little scratch cards). There's not even Pay 'n' Display.

They reckon they live about 30 minutes walk from St Marys, and yet despite the distance and the restrictions the parking bays are still taken up by football traffic. I was there in August when Southampton were playing at home and the streets in their neighbourhood were crawling with wardens ticketing the un-permitted cars. Doesn't apparently deter people from doing it though - I guess they just look on it as a pricey parking space.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just an aside on 'how far will people walk?' we've got some friends who live in Southampton. They live in an area where all the on-street parking is residents only (controlled by permits) or their guests (controlled by little scratch cards). There's not even Pay 'n' Display.

They reckon they live about 30 minutes walk from St Marys, and yet despite the distance and the restrictions the parking bays are still taken up by football traffic. I was there in August when Southampton were playing at home and the streets in their neighbourhood were crawling with wardens ticketing the un-permitted cars. Doesn't apparently deter people from doing it though - I guess they just look on it as a pricey parking space.

I went to bed thinking about this last night. I'd imagine that the bottom of Coldean would get chocker but the top part is probably a 35 minute walk from the stadium - would that get full?

If people were prepared to walk that distance then I think Moulsecoomb would be more likely - it's bigger and even the furthest part is probably only about 40 minutes away. But even Bates Estate and Bevendean could come into play.

I still can't see residents voting for parking permits however. They'd be happy to put up with the inconvenience - it's only 23 to 30 days a year.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The big lay-by at Newmarket village may get some extra traffic and the lane by the farms.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
there also is a car park at the top of Stanmer park ( just before you come off onto the bypass) so I would ahve assumed that will be utilised

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
there also is a car park at the top of Stanmer park ( just before you come off onto the bypass) so I would ahve assumed that will be utilised

If it comes to that, parking is allowed throughout Stanmer Park - it's packed on a weekend. There's probably room for several hundred cars there and if, as Brovion suggests, people will be happy to walk 30 minutes, there's plenty of room near Stanmer village.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it comes to that, parking is allowed throughout Stanmer Park - it's packed on a weekend. There's probably room for several hundred cars there and if, as Brovion suggests, people will be happy to walk 30 minutes, there's plenty of room near Stanmer village.

If it proves a hassle to get picked up and dropped off at the stadium, a walk through Stanmer park would be a good idea methinks.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The gates will be locked.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The gates will be locked.

there are no gates up the top by the ditchlin beacon road, unless you are talking about the entrance by the university ( and then there are no gates there)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The big lay-by at Newmarket village may get some extra traffic and the lane by the farms.

i wonder if a shewd famer will open up their car park sized field by those lanes, half a mile from the stadium. (or would that need planning permission?) :hilton:

Oct 25, 2003
why is virtually everyone ignoring the fact that there is a pretty frequent bus route going from (basically) outside the stadium into town?

plus the park & ride facilities

plus people who drive and park nearby

plus people who get dropped off

plus people who walk there

plus even people who cycle there

do you all think that there'll be 23,000 people trying to get on the same train every week?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well, if you feel confident enough to negotiate your way through Stanmer Woods in the dark to get back to your car, go for it.

there are marked paths...so

It all depend on how easy it is to drop off and pick up at the stadium

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
there are marked paths...so

It all depend on how easy it is to drop off and pick up at the stadium
Exactly. There's an awful lot of variables that will come into play and none of us know yet how it will all pan out. I'm 100% sure there will be teething troubles but eventually people will work out what's best for them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It'll only be closed 12-3. Pretty sure lord B has mentioned this several times.

we take no notice of him now he is not one of the "CLIQUE"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here