Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frankie Boyle

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The basic thing that the Daily Mail have got right is if you are not allowed to use the P or N word on TV, why should Boyle be able to use it in a tenuous " I am not being rasist " joke and be allowed to stay on air ?. I wouldn't ban him as that is probably more oxygen to his " I am so dangerous aren't I " ego. Best to just hope he goes away one day.

The thing is US, there is a massive difference between the use of the 'N' and 'P' words in the context here, and a more direct insult to those minority groups. If anything, he has had a go at the long-held attitudes and prejudices of the kind of Tory minister who has been so quick to call for his banning. It's not even a subtle nuance, and it's like some of these people haven't even heard the 'joke'. Knee-jerk reaction, they want him out anyway for other stuff, and they are hoping the 'N' word will do it, whatever he actually said.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I get the point he is making but if he is allowed to use it, it gives a green light for other people to do it and Channel 4 have a dilemma as to condone it opens a can of worms.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As long as it's in a certain and appropriate context, I don't think any words should be censored.

In this instance, the context of the using 'Paki' and '******' was a swipe at institutional racism, not the glorification or promotion of racism.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Either you are allowed to use the words or not. Boyle should not be an exception.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think a big clue to Frankie Boyle is in his favourite comedian - Bill Hicks.

Bill Hicks is my favourite comedian too but I personally do not like Frankie Boyle because (as someone posted earlier) he just seems like he's saying controversial stuff to grab the limelight rather than any beliefs.

Oh and for once I agree with US - Sean Lock is miles better than Boyle :)

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I used to think Frankie Boyle was really good, with a similar kind of risque set as someone like Jimmy Carr but with far more edgier and quick-witted observations. It was worth watching Mock The Week for his one-liners alone, and when the show was rapped for his gag about The Queen, I personally thought it was ridiculously harsh and just typical of the Daily Mail PC Brigade - can't tell you how much I despise that newspaper.

However, I saw one episode of Tramadol Nights recently and I just didn't find it that funny. It reeked of desperation, and it just seemed he'd run out of comic ideas and coughed up outrageous comments just for the sake of it to paper over the cracks. Occasionally, he still delivers a hilarious one-liner or comes up with something really sharp (he's one of the very best when it comes to picking on members of the audience), but I honestly think he's got a real risk of becoming a kind of Jim Davidson figure. And that would be such a waste of talent.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What do you mean, what does it mean ?. I thought you could not say the P or N word on BBC regardless of the context and if that is the case why should Boyle be an exception ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I watched some of his shite but one of the jokes " why bother trying to teach disabled kids to make a cake when they can't even wipe their arse ? " just did not appear funny, clever, original or anything to say about the subject whatsoever.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree that Frankie does seem to go out of his way to be extreme but as Steven Grant said at The Komedia the other night, " Hey, thats comedy, sometimes it does not work but, get over it "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am well down this year Vegster. Not even top 10.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Making jokes about children isn't really very funny to be honest.

No, generally not - but there are all sorts of other things people find offensive.

Personally, I find the hundreds of hours of television time and pages of newspapers and magazines devoted to Jordan and her pathetic, pointless existence highly offensive, and grossly insulting to the intelligence of the population. But there we go.

Dandyman

In London village.
It was this

During the programme, and referring to the war in Afghanistan, Boyle said: "Basically, we are murdering a load of shepherds. What gets me is our callousness as a society when we read out our dead on the news first, because our lives are more important. Other people's aren't worth as much."

He then adopted a newsreader's tone, saying: "A bomb went off in Kandahar today, killing two British servicemen, three UN relief workers and a whole bunch of Pakis."

"The Ministry of Defence? At least in the old days we were honest, it was the Ministry of War. 'Hello Ministry of War, department of ****** bombing, how can I help?'"

Which is of course why a right -wing rag like The Mail is in a huff. The joke is not racist, it does however expose the racism of much of the media and Government in their reporting of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Dandyman

In London village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here