Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four players released

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sully said:
Nonsense. Virtually every manager has used him in midfield. He even had a spell of looking very decent there at Championship level under Coppell.

Coppell played him either as a left back, left centre back in a three or left wing back, never as a central midfielder.

Taylor played him as a left back.

As soon as we got back to Withdean Adams used him at left back, so the last manager to use him as a first choice central midfielder was Wood and look what happned to him.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Uncle Buck said:
Coppell played him either as a left back, left centre back in a three or left wing back, never as a central midfielder.

Taylor played him as a left back.

As soon as we got back to Withdean Adams used him at left back, so the last manager to use him as a first choice central midfielder was Wood and look what happned to him.

Sorry, I don't recall the comment being limited to CENTRAL midfield. I must have imagined watching Kerry playing ahead of Nathan Jones down the left, then. I seem to recall thinking it was odd as I thought Jones was better going forward and Kerry was the better defender.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sully said:
Sorry, I don't recall the comment being limited to CENTRAL midfield. I must have imagined watching Kerry playing ahead of Nathan Jones down the left, then. I seem to recall thinking it was odd as I thought Jones was better going forward and Kerry was the better defender.

Mayo played a left back, with Jones or Brooker on the left of midfield.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Uncle Buck said:
Mayo played a left back, with Jones or Brooker on the left of midfield.

I bow to your better memory.

My recollection is that Jones and Mayo used to swap places during games, but I really can't be arsed to argue the point as it's actually pointless!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sully said:

My recollection is that Jones and Mayo used to swap places during games, but I really can't be arsed to argue the point as it's actually pointless!

Not really, they may have to start with, but as Mayo ended up with Brooker in front of him for a number of games the chances of Brooker ever defending were minimal.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I take back what I said. I could be bothered! Just thought of a quick check and, hey presto, first click:

Strange place to list a full back in the team line up:
From Soccerbase

Football League Championship - KO 19:45
Sheff Utd 2 (2) - 1 (1) Brighton
Windass 5
Brown 34
Carpenter 14

At Bramall Lane on 18-03-2003

Sheff Utd: Kenny ,Jagielka ,Murphy ,Page ,Kozluk ,Ndlovu (Morrison ,69 ) ,Brown ,McCall (Curtis ,45 ) ,Tonge ,Windass ,Kabba (Peschisolido ,58 )
Subs not used: Allison,Javary,

Brighton: Beasant ,Ingimarsson ,Cullip ,Blackwell ,Watson ,Rodger (Jones ,41 ) ,Carpenter (Oatway ,67 ) ,Brooker ,Mayo ,Zamora (Graham Barrett ,48 ) ,Hart
Subs not used Wilkinson,Packham,

Bookings: Jagielka ,Kenny ,Windass (Sheff Utd) Cullip ,Oatway ,Watson ,Zamora (Brighton)

Attendance: 19357

Referee: M Fletcher (Worcestershire)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
sully said:

Both were often out of position so it did sometimes appear like that, nightmare pairing, one really slow the other a headless chicken.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
sully said:

Strange place to list a full back in the team line up:

Brighton: Beasant ,Ingimarsson ,Cullip ,Blackwell ,Watson ,Rodger (Jones ,41 ) ,Carpenter (Oatway ,67 ) ,Brooker ,Mayo ,Zamora (Graham Barrett ,48 ) ,Hart

Strange place to put a left footed central midfielder (Roger) and right winger (Brooker) also.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
sully said:

I'd say from that formation he was left wing back with Watson as right wing back and brooker providing the link between midfield and Bobby and Gary up front.

I can remember his playing LWB under Coppell when we went 5-3-2, sometimes he would cover the left side of the back three if someone was injured too.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sully said:

Which lined up as;

GK Beasant
RWB Watson
LWB Mayo
CB Cullip
CB Blackwell
CB Ingimarsson
MD Rodger
MD Carpenter
MD Brooker
FW Hart
FW Zamora

Although it was Brooker that sometimes played behind Zamora.

Coppell generally played 5-3-2 that season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Fragmented Badger said:
Wasn't Hart playing in midfield, and Brooker playing as a 'second striker' with Bobby pretty much upfront on his own? Or did I imagine that?

Now you mention it we did sometimes seem to play a 5-4-1 formation with Hart and Brooker out wide or one of them playing a more free roll and getting forward to support Bobby.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
It's amazing how some players, by not being good enough for the first team, then assume almost mythical status among certain fans (see also Kuipers).

But Kuipers was outstanding for the first time... that makes no sense whatsoever...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Yes, he could have, please stop crapping on Chippy, he was our best player against the likes of Luton (official MOTM) and Millwall (Football League Paper nomination).

FFS... he was consistently sh1t after his stupid decsion to play at Palar$e in Oct last year... he may have had one or two average games, the rest were very, very poor... what did he contribute?... nothing... do you actually watch the games we play?... or are you too busy watching the egg-chasers...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
B.W. said:
FFS... he was consistently sh1t after his stupid decsion to play at Palar$e in Oct last year... he may have had one or two average games, the rest were very, very poor... what did he contribute?... nothing... do you actually watch the games we play?... or are you too busy watching the egg-chasers...

Do not question LI, he knows everything. Early season results ARE NOT important, Carole WAS the player of the season and Chippy had a GREAT season. Well everything except a decent understanding of football. Having a different opinion to most people does not always make it right or good.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here