Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four players released

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
I did mention him. I was probably against keeping him on originally but we may need him as back up now if we don't have Nicolas.

Why?... he is definitely unable to play at lb... even MM has woken up to that fact now... he had one average game in midfield at Southampton last season... so what?... he is just too slow and unable to pass... needs to be released so we can bring in someone else...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
If we got rid of all our experienced hands who - guess what - are also proven at this level (the two promotions slip your mind?) on the optimistic hope of bringing players to the Withdean dump, that would be the surest route to relegation we could map.

There will be plenty of team rebuilding this season, but not team destruction ta very much.

It's interesting that you describe Withdean as a dump... exactly the word that our ignorant manager used... what a stupid thing for the manager to say... yes, MM, that will help you to sign players... :dunce: :jester:

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
B.W. said:
It's interesting that you describe Withdean as a dump... exactly the word that our ignorant manager used... what a stupid thing for the manager to say... yes, MM, that will help you to sign players... :dunce: :jester:

Do you think if he calls it the 'Theatre of Dreams' then the players won't notice?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
But we aren't keeping all the current players on, we are keeping an experienced backbone of the team who will give us a soft landing in the division. We will have plenty of gaps left for recruitment, but thank heavens not recruiting an entire new team!

Let us find our feet in the league first and then replace the old heroes when we are sure we can bring in better players. This rebuilding job may take a couple of years - that might be an eternity in teenage years but in football terms it is not that long.

So... in summary, you think we should keep the ageing players who let us down so badly last season, so we can watch the Withdean stands empty as we consolidate in league 1... :dunce: :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe this thread because I donot believe even Dick Knight for all of his failings on players could even contemplate the thought that what we have is good enough to do anything other than fight for survival in Div 1

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
I cannot believe this thread because I donot believe even Dick Knight for all of his failings on players could even contemplate the thought that what we have is good enough to do anything other than fight for survival in Div 1

*BensGrandad attempts to change the record but realises he has no others so puts the same one on again. The record is called 'My Dick Knight bad mouthing agenda'*

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
LI, you are talking about Mayo as a squad midfielder. Until this season he has not played since the Gillingham days as he was not good enough and Adams saw fit to sign players like Oatway, Rogers, Carpenter, Aspinall etc as they were better and then Mayo was moved to left back.

To go back to playing him as a midfielder is not a good move.

100% agree!...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Les Biehn said:
*BensGrandad attempts to change the record but realises he has no others so puts the same one on again. The record is called 'My Dick Knight bad mouthing agenda'*

If you learn to read you will realise that I am actually sticking up for Dick Knight.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
Well im not really sure about him being disruptive, I would hardly put him in the same category as leon knight and its obvious that a footballing disagreement turned into a personal one between him and MM.

If he was doing a job in league one theres no way that he would be a disruptive influence imo. The falling out happened after a game where big mac was shown to be totally out of his depth which frustrated not only big mac himself but MM as well.

Not many people agree with me but in league one big mac will do a job for us next year, theres no way we are going to sign gifton imo and big mac is a poor mans gifton noel williams so MM should swallow his pride and just give him a chance.

He (MM) should, but he won't... so that's the FDM and McCammon who we seem to be offloading for no reason other than MM... the board should be asking themselves whether we are keeping the right member of staff, IMHO...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
Dick Knight for all of his failings on players

Thats quite the back handed complement.

BensGrandad said:
If you learn to read

And the award for worst rip out of all time goes to BensGrandad.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
sully said:
Nonsense. Virtually every manager has used him in midfield. He even had a spell of looking very decent there at Championship level under Coppell.

Not under Coppell to my recollection... his lack of pace was protected as one of 3 cb's...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I did say that, despite any failings which he has with recognising players, which is plain for all to see, even by the blind, he wouldn't be silly enough to expect this squad to do other than fight for survival.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
I did say that, despite any failings which he has with recognising players, which is plain for all to see, even by the blind, he wouldn't be silly enough to expect this squad to do other than fight for survival.

What failings? Also can you provide a reason for why you think this squad will be fighting relegation. If you want I will give you reasons why I think they will be mid table.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Chopper West said:
Do you think if he calls it the 'Theatre of Dreams' then the players won't notice?

Do you think his comment is helpful?...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Les Biehn said:
can you provide a reason for why you think this squad will be fighting relegation. If you want I will give you reasons why I think they will be mid table.

Goalkeeper who cannot hold or catch the ball.

If this thread is correct a back four that is too slow.

A midfield that runs around like headless chickens and gets no where. and produces nothing.

Forwards that are unable to do what they are paid for put the ball in the net.

If any two of those four points had been corrected last season we would not now be in Div 1.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
really can't see what all the fuss is with alexis? looked class when he was on loan but looked very out of place ever since!

wouldn't give a contract to kerry either had a couple of resonable games in midfield last season but dont think that warrents a new contract and as for giving him 1 cos we don't have any cover at left back well how about bringing some1 in! thats what they do at some clubs they actully sign players!!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:

A midfield that runs around like headless chickens and gets no where. and produces nothing.

If any two of those four points had been corrected last season we would not now be in Div 1.

Hendo is a young keeper who put in some good performances last year. OK he isn't great but he is decent.

Lynch, Hinshelwood, El-Abd and Hart are slow? Not sure about that. OK Guy isn't the quickest but as long as you are playing against a target man he is fine.

The midfield did look lost occasionally but do you not think that in Hammond, Frutos, Carole, Reid and Nicolas there is some genuine talent there?

The front line I will grant you is a worry. however it is the only part of the team I am genuinely worried about.

I may be wrong but I am very hopeful the backroom shake up should have a positive effect, with improvement in player ability and team organisation.

You didn't answer the question about DK's failings withplayers.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
BensGrandad said:

We are not in Div 1 you great fanny, it's called League One. Get it right.

So you think the likes of Lynch to be too slow, he's looked quite pacy to me. Also Hinsh and El-Abd aren't exactly slouches, and for young lads they are devloping the ability to read the game well.

The midfield were only headless chickens once Oatway got injured, with him back he will guide our midfield the same way he did last season. The fact that he gets no credit for the way he was playing before his injury really irks me.

Of course you are assuming that we will not sign anyone despite (if the list at the start of this thread is true) the prospect of getting rid of two of the biggest wage earners in Kuipers (not that I want to see him go) and the argie off the wage bill, as well as releasing funds from the releases of Nicolas, McPhee and McCammon.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
BensGrandad said:

It didnt help the back four there was little or now protection from the midfield for most the season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Les Biehn said:
Hendo is a young keeper who put in some good performances last year. OK he isn't great but he is decent.

Lynch, Hinshelwood, El-Abd and Hart are slow? Not sure about that. OK Guy isn't the quickest but as long as you are playing against a target man he is fine.

The midfield did look lost occasionally but do you not think that in Hammond, Frutos, Carole, Reid and Nicolas there is some genuine talent there?

The front line I will grant you is a worry. however it is the only part of the team I am genuinely worried about.

I may be wrong but I am very hopeful the backroom shake up should have a positive effect, with improvement in player ability and team organisation.

You didn't answer the question about DK's failings withplayers.

I am sorry I should have said League1 but who is splitting hairs.

Henderson is not as safe as the man that he has replaced with his catching and holding of the ball although we are told his kicking is better although there wasn't much evidence of that toiwards the end of the season. The good performances from him where when he was on loan and trying to impress.

The back four are quick on foot but not in mind as they are continually caught out of position and as a result we conceeded a lot of goals. Butters excluded. Perhaps last years expereience will benefit them.

Carole and Frutos have ability but are to my mind a luxury when your back is against the wall. Reid is ok if played in centre midfield. Hammond is reasonable possibly good enough for a place going forward but a liability with his tackling when defending by giving away needless free kicks. Nicholas is the best of the bunch but according to this thread is going. We will have the fight when CO is back but where is the man who is going to pass the ball to the non existent goalscorers. Our only hope is that Chippy, who has proved his worth at this level before can do so once again having dropped down from the championship where he was most obviously out of his depth.

Other than CKR who I think will score goals in this division who else will Robinson, Gatting?

We may well sign a proven goalscorer at this level but history tells us otherwise.

As regards DK and his assesment of players the greatest example isTurienzo who he bought on his friends reccomendation.

One also has to question the contracts that he continually gives players based on the previous seasons performances and disregarding the job that they may or may not be able to do the following season,which to my mind should be the gauge for new contracts.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here