Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four players released

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
Richie Morris said:
Also, does this not just leave us with CKR, Robinson, Hart and Gatting to score our goals this season?

Not many striking options there...

We have one other Richie. You're forgetting one.

The man with no shirt number, Maheta Molango, has another year on his contract, and he's going nowhere else.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I quote Race on Brightonfan.com

"The news is out so it will probably be in the local tomorrow;) "

Interesting, not sure if sarcastic or not

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
nobody's dupe said:
The man with no shirt number, Maheta Molango, has another year on his contract, and he's going nowhere else.
Crikey.

B.W. said:
So... in summary, you think we should keep the ageing players who let us down so badly last season, so we can watch the Withdean stands empty as we consolidate in league 1... :dunce: :jester:

Yes - we are not so high and mighty that a consolidation season in League 1 would be be so terrible. I really wonder when reading your posts if you have a clue about our finances and spending power.

B.W. said:
FFS... he was consistently sh1t after his stupid decsion to play at Palar$e in Oct last year... he may have had one or two average games, the rest were very, very poor... what did he contribute?... nothing... do you actually watch the games we play?... or are you too busy watching the egg-chasers...

If he was consistently shit, why did he get two man-of-the-match awards? Any attempt at a coherent and honest answer to that rather than the usual old rhetoric from you?

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
LI, you are talking about Mayo as a squad midfielder. Until this season he has not played since the Gillingham days as he was not good enough and Adams saw fit to sign players like Oatway, Rogers, Carpenter, Aspinall etc as they were better and then Mayo was moved to left back.

To go back to playing him as a midfielder is not a good move.

You could be right - it's Oatway and Chippy I really want us to keep, don't have too strong opinion about Mayo to be honest, it's just possible though that he could be an option if he was prepared to accept the right contract. Whereas he was a write-off for us at LB this season, he did contribute as a midfielder in games such as Southampton, Crewe and Ipswich.

Les Biehn said:
Do not question LI, he knows everything. Early season results ARE NOT important, Carole WAS the player of the season and Chippy had a GREAT season. Well everything except a decent understanding of football. Having a different opinion to most people does not always make it right or good.

Discussing anything with you is a complete waste of time.

London Irish said:
If he was consistently shit, why did he get two man-of-the-match awards? Any attempt at a coherent and honest answer to that rather than the usual old rhetoric from you?

You're clutching at straws a bit here LI. We all know that the MOM awards are often a lottery. The sponsors pick the MOM and are often pissed up, and have been known to pick a random player out of a hat, especially if it's a game that we haven't played well in at all. Newspaper MOM awards are exactly the same, especially as often the hack that has written the piece hasn't even been at the game. You know that, but you keep banging on about it. Like it or not Chippy was off the pace for most of the season.

IMO he had a poor season. He looked lost without Oatway, and didn't look fit after he was injured. 2 reasonable performances out of 20 odd isn't good enough. However, I hope that if we are retaining his services, a good rest then a decent pre season could see him revitalised.

Nicolas hasn't overly impressed, either for the first team or the stiffs, but he hasn't really had a chance to shine. I think he should have been given a go more last season, either for Chippy or Hammond. Hammond had a shocking season too, after his exploits the season before. He looks like he's lost all confidence, especially in front of goal. Again, I'm hoping a good pre season, and maybe getting off to a flyer in League 1 will restore that energy in him.

I'm not sure if the rumours about a clause in Mayo's contract ensuring him another year if he played x number of games is correct or not, but I do feel he is worth another year. All this talk of bringing players in is a bit laughable really. We've been relegated. We have very little money, and that isn't likely to change soon. Kerry did a reasonable job when he played last season, and he played a lot more games than many expected him to. I'm happy we're keeping him because he is versatile enough to cover a number of positions.

It's a shame that FDM is likely to go. However, he spat the dummy when he was dropped in favour of Hendo, who had looked good for us at that point, and although FDM had been superb for us in seasons past, the facts are he'd been injured for the best part of 2 seasons, and we had just signed a young keeper who is regularly part of an international set up. FDM should know by now that competition is healthy, and should have fought for a place in the team, a la Nicolas and Mayo, rather than getting a strop on. I was amazed at that reaction, and in truth quite disappointed as I thought he was so much better than that. As he isn't out of contract though there is a chance he may stay. I'd be surprised at that now.

I'm glad that Butters will be staying. His experience will be vital next year. I think the help he'll give to the youngsters in our back line will be invaluable.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
nobody's dupe said:
We have one other Richie. You're forgetting one.

Oh! I thought he was at Santa Maria de los Paella (or some equall obscure Spanish 2nd division team) on indefinate loan?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Kylies Stunt Arse said:

It's a shame that FDM is likely to go. However, he spat the dummy when he was dropped in favour of Hendo, who had looked good for us at that point, and although FDM had been superb for us in seasons past, the facts are he'd been injured for the best part of 2 seasons, and we had just signed a young keeper who is regularly part of an international set up. FDM should know by now that competition is healthy, and should have fought for a place in the team, a la Nicolas and Mayo, rather than getting a strop on. I was amazed at that reaction, and in truth quite disappointed as I thought he was so much better than that. As he isn't out of contract though there is a chance he may stay. I'd be surprised at that now.

I thought Kuipers was upset about Chaigneau being preferred to him.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
Yes - we are not so high and mighty that a consolidation season in League 1 would be be so terrible. I really wonder when reading your posts if you have a clue about our finances and spending power.

... and I wonder when reading your posts if you do either... have you ever heard the phrase "speculate to accumulate"?...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:

Sure... who gave him the MoM?... what great judge of player performance?... now, I didn't see very game he played, but I think I am in the majority when I say he outstayed his welcome in the team last season...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
You could be right - it's Oatway and Chippy I really want us to keep, don't have too strong opinion about Mayo to be honest, it's just possible though that he could be an option if he was prepared to accept the right contract. Whereas he was a write-off for us at LB this season, he did contribute as a midfielder in games such as Southampton, Crewe and Ipswich.

Usual poor judgement... Mayo's wages could be better used elsewhere... he is too slow, and his distribution is useless... to repeat, do you actually watch our games, or are you just automatically supporting DK and MM's decisions as always?... I hope Mayo's ego is big enough for him to think he can do better contract-wise at another club... you never know... we might just get lucky...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
The same to you sir.

I wish I could ignore LI, but his 'high and mighty' attitude just gets straight up my nose... he clearly thinks he knows more than anyone else on here, and he clearly doesn't...

Thank you for backing me up earlier...

B.W. said:
... and I wonder when reading your posts if you do either... have you ever heard the phrase "speculate to accumulate"?...

Yes, I have heard the phrase a lot, mainly in connection with bankruptcy cases.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
Yes, I have heard the phrase a lot, mainly in connection with bankruptcy cases.

....and seemly one of Richard Branson's favourite sayings, but hey, what does he know?

B.W. said:
Usual poor judgement... Mayo's wages could be better used elsewhere... he is too slow, and his distribution is useless... to repeat, do you actually watch our games, or are you just automatically supporting DK and MM's decisions as always?... I hope Mayo's ego is big enough for him to think he can do better contract-wise at another club... you never know... we might just get lucky...

OK, so you're right about Mayo, and Dick Knight, Mark McGhee and Dean Wilkins are all wrong. Congratulations. Maybe they don't watch any Albion games either like me.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
lookout...Steve is in Patronising mode

Tin hats on folks

As a journalist I thought you were trained to see the other persons point of view, even if you dont agree with it!

BTW great game at the Stoop!!! Shame about the result but 100% effort all round I thought

Dies Irae said:
....and seemly one of Richard Branson's favourite sayings, but hey, what does he know?

Strip away the PR garbage and Branson is actually a very hard-headed and shrewd businessman. The idea of him spending money on the off-chance that it might just come off is laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here