Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four players released

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The Large One said:
That is just about the most blatantly inaccurate summing up of an Albion player I think I have ever seen. Absolute rubbish.

Although I wouldn't describe him as an attacking midfielder, I do remember him having more offensive aspects to his game when he first joined us - he got forward regularly, and showed a fantastic shot, especially away to Watford. Where this went, or why, I don't know. I agree for the most part with the rest of that summary.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Fragmented Badger said:
There are decent experienced players out there, and when I say experienced I mean 28 not 35. Carpenter, Butters, Oatway, Mayo, Dodd - this was the time to say thanks and goodbye. They have all been decent players at some point, but they are on the way down and aren't going to get any better now. For example, someone said Paul Evans has been released by Forest. He is EXACTLY the sort of player I would be looking at - affordable, experienced but not past-it, and proven at our level. Given a choice between him and Carpenter, there's not contest. All we had to do was get rid of as many players as possible, and replace them with about 5 players of Evans' calibre, who when complemented by the youth players would have made an exciting and interesting team to watch. As it is, we will be stuck with the same old rubbish for another season, and we will be going nowhere fast. McGhee has shot himself in the foot here, I confidently predict he will be out my Christmas as people will continue to get fed up.

Great shout on Evans. Would be/have been a great signing.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Isn't a bit of a risk though to get rid of all our experienced players..... i for one would be worried if we did.

Not really confident about attracting players any better than Charlie or Chippy, most players if they have other offers they will take them.

Loft23

Dec 11, 2004
Burgess Hill
MattewEdwards ShinPads said:
What I love is that there are 8 pages of comment on something we dont even know to be true yet!

That's what I don't understand. It might be true but I can't believe anything I see until it's on the Official Site.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
Big mac is a poor mans gifton noel williams and at this stage we are a very poor man so should have kept him. MM has been banging on about a big target man striker and although I agree Big mac is a shit footballer he could do a job at league one level.

People thought Chris Iwelumo was shit (I wasnt one of them) but he's gone down a level and was one of the top scorers in the league this year because 1. he puts himself about 2. because hes big and strong.

My main point is that big mac could do a job next year and I think MM must know that because he thought he could do a job at championship level, the reason we have released him is because he has fallen out with MM IMO.

If we have a replacement lined up then I will stand corrected but you can bet that at christmas people will be saying " we STILL need a target man" and big mac will be doing a job for some mid table side in league one.

Aside from McCammon not being very good, what about the other issues that seem to come with him such as him being disruptive?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Richie Morris said:
Nicolas is not in the team to score goals...him being a defensive midfield player and all.

Simply, he would offer our back four a defensive shield which has not been there all season and allowed the opponents time and space to run at Butters.

He also collects the ball from the back four meaning they do not have to just lump it in the corners.

His short passes change the direction and angle of attacks meaning we are less predictable and he has a good nack of getting his foot in and disrupting the oppositions attacks.

Could he have done any worse then Carpenter this season?

Blimey I agree with Richie Morris!!! :ohmy:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Uncle Buck said:
Aside from McCammon not being very good, what about the other issues that seem to come with him such as him being disruptive?

Well im not really sure about him being disruptive, I would hardly put him in the same category as leon knight and its obvious that a footballing disagreement turned into a personal one between him and MM.

If he was doing a job in league one theres no way that he would be a disruptive influence imo. The falling out happened after a game where big mac was shown to be totally out of his depth which frustrated not only big mac himself but MM as well.

Not many people agree with me but in league one big mac will do a job for us next year, theres no way we are going to sign gifton imo and big mac is a poor mans gifton noel williams so MM should swallow his pride and just give him a chance.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
to be honest big mac looked out of his depth in a friendly against Hastings united last season

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
McCammon, McPhee & El Turi are not needed with Gatt, CKR, Robinson plus NGW or his replacement

We could not keep Nicholas and Chippy what with Oatway, Hammond & Reid competing for central midfield.

I would have liked to have seen Nicolas but I guess McGhee has gone for Chippy for experience, also last season I don't think he was ever fully fit since he came back at Xmas.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Perhaps if MM had played Nicolas more instead of Carpenter we would be going down able to release players that now appear to be past it, Carpenter, Oatway and would be looking to have a young and experienced centre midfield in Nicolas and Hammond. With Reid and Mayo as experienced back ups and Fraser and Chaberlain as youngsters pushing the older guys.

We could have been building a talented young side, instead it looks like we will be relying on players who have seen better days.

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Uncle Buck said:
LI, you are talking about Mayo as a squad midfielder. Until this season he has not played since the Gillingham days as he was not good enough and Adams saw fit to sign players like Oatway, Rogers, Carpenter, Aspinall etc as they were better and then Mayo was moved to left back.

To go back to playing him as a midfielder is not a good move.

Nonsense. Virtually every manager has used him in midfield. He even had a spell of looking very decent there at Championship level under Coppell.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
sir danny cullip said:
big mac is a poor mans gifton noel williams
He's not though is he? Gifton Noel-Williams, good touch, can pass a ball, shoot, header etc. Good link up player who will get a few goals too.

McCammon, no touch, no control, no ability in short, all he has going is being big and strong but that's no good when you can't control a football or give it to a team mate. I'd rather keep McPhee.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
Well im not really sure about him being disruptive, I would hardly put him in the same category as leon knight and its obvious that a footballing disagreement turned into a personal one between him and MM.

If he was doing a job in league one theres no way that he would be a disruptive influence imo. The falling out happened after a game where big mac was shown to be totally out of his depth which frustrated not only big mac himself but MM as well.

Not many people agree with me but in league one big mac will do a job for us next year, theres no way we are going to sign gifton imo and big mac is a poor mans gifton noel williams so MM should swallow his pride and just give him a chance.

McCammon was up there with Knight in creating dressing room issues, from what I have heard.

He has a reputation for it as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here