Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four players released

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
John Boy said:
Borrowed from Brightonfans

Four players are being released by the club. They are McPhee, McCammon, Nicolas and Turienzo. Dick Knight has come to an agreement with Turienzo's agent to end his contract early.

http://www.brightonfans.com/bforum/viewthread.php?tid=7560

"WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!!"

Pendleton_Sinking_Ship.jpg

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Carpenter: I think he was rushed back into the side from his injury last season and never found his feet. With the amount of promotion experience on his CV and with a step down a league he'll be an assett.

Nicolas: Big fan of Nicolas. If he's going I doubt its because we didn't try to keep him. Gets a foot in, covers ground and good passing. Championship quality in my opinion.

Turienzo: If he has been paid off then it shows a bit of bollocks and fair play. If we've made a mistake, accept it and get rid. From the few glimpses we've seen of him though I'd like too see him given a chance in League One. Reckon he could be a suprise hit.

Big Mac & McPhee: Both have to go really. With the emergence of Gatting as a strong forward there was no place for McPhee.

Turkey said:
Carpenter: I think he was rushed back into the side from his injury last season and never found his feet. With the amount of promotion experience on his CV and with a step down a league he'll be an assett.

Nicolas: Big fan of Nicolas. If he's going I doubt its because we didn't try to keep him. Gets a foot in, covers ground and good passing. Championship quality in my opinion.

Turienzo: If he has been paid off then it shows a bit of bollocks and fair play. If we've made a mistake, accept it and get rid. From the few glimpses we've seen of him though I'd like too see him given a chance in League One. Reckon he could be a suprise hit.

Big Mac & McPhee: Both have to go really. With the emergence of Gatting as a strong forward there was no place for McPhee.

It's true that Chippy was probably rushed back too soon. But I think far too many can't look beyond his obvious lack of pace to see the vital job of work he does in our midfield, getting hold of the ball, playing the right passes, organising those around him. Took over from Charlie as team scapegoat though (joint award with Dean Hammond).

Nicolas - if he's left, I'm willing to bet we did offer him a contract but he has just decided either it's not enough or that he would be better to go elsewhere. Probably for the best IMHO, as I'm not 100 per cent sure he is physical enough for the kind of wars you get in a League 1 midfield although I was hoping he would prove me wrong. Really wish him the best of luck though, his professionalism was the ultimate answer to the handful of other misfits who spat their dummy out when not selected. Also, his departure probably opens the door to retain Kerry as a squad midfielder, would have been hard to justify otherwise.

El Turi - agree with you, would be a relief if we paid him off. It's the combination of these chronic, recurring harmstring injuries and learning a new style of football that made his success here a remote prospect. But we'll see if this is true.

Big Mac - can't believe we are even discussing him. He gave an interview in the Football League Paper weeks ago that he would refuse a new contract here even if one was offered to him. Agree with you about the Gatting-McPhee situation.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
And Mayo Irish?What would you do about him?

algie said:
And Mayo Irish?What would you do about him?

I did mention him. I was probably against keeping him on originally but we may need him as back up now if we don't have Nicolas.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
London Irish said:
I did mention him. I was probably against keeping him on originally but we may need him as back up now if we don't have Nicolas.

I'm sure there are better free tranfers out there then Mayo

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We need to sign about five or six decent players then.

Fragmented Badger said:
For me mate, that sums it up. Noone can deny a lot of those players WERE good players for the club, and have been part of some tremendous successes. But, this was a PERFECT chance to rebuild the club. Undisputably, we were wank last season - we should have got rid of McGhee (or if we had to keep him, instruct him to rip the team apart) plus virtually all of those out of contract, and possibly even more if we could. Then, just start again. There are decent experienced players out there, and when I say experienced I mean 28 not 35. Carpenter, Butters, Oatway, Mayo, Dodd - this was the time to say thanks and goodbye. They have all been decent players at some point, but they are on the way down and aren't going to get any better now. For example, someone said Paul Evans has been released by Forest. He is EXACTLY the sort of player I would be looking at - affordable, experienced but not past-it, and proven at our level. Given a choice between him and Carpenter, there's not contest. All we had to do was get rid of as many players as possible, and replace them with about 5 players of Evans' calibre, who when complemented by the youth players would have made an exciting and interesting team to watch. As it is, we will be stuck with the same old rubbish for another season, and we will be going nowhere fast. McGhee has shot himself in the foot here, I confidently predict he will be out my Christmas as people will continue to get fed up.

If we got rid of all our experienced hands who - guess what - are also proven at this level (the two promotions slip your mind?) on the optimistic hope of bringing players to the Withdean dump, that would be the surest route to relegation we could map.

There will be plenty of team rebuilding this season, but not team destruction ta very much.

Fragmented Badger said:
Yeah, I see your point, sir. But, what counts as experienced? Players who are 28-29 are experienced, especially in a division like that, so why can't we sign a few of them up? A couple of years ago, our current lot were the experienced players who helped us win promotion, and they deserve credit for that. But, it doesn't mean they should be allowed to go on forever. There must come a point where they need to be replaced, and my opinion is that the PERFECT chance to do that was this summer.

Incidentally, you say there will be plenty of team rebuilding this season, but if we keep all of the current players on, then where will the money be coming from to finance this rebuilding?

But we aren't keeping all the current players on, we are keeping an experienced backbone of the team who will give us a soft landing in the division. We will have plenty of gaps left for recruitment, but thank heavens not recruiting an entire new team!

Let us find our feet in the league first and then replace the old heroes when we are sure we can bring in better players. This rebuilding job may take a couple of years - that might be an eternity in teenage years but in football terms it is not that long.

Fragmented Badger said:
I'm not disagreeing with your point - it does make sense, but let's look at it from a financial point of view. Now, let's presume we release McCammon, Nicolas, and McPhee. How much money will that save us in wages? My guess is not an awful lot, so bearing in mind we are going to need to cut costs having gone down a division, where on earth is the money to bring any new players in? The only answer I can think of is to sell an existing player for a bit of cash, but who do we have?

Having said that, I do agree with you on the point that it may take a couple of years. I would rather see us go back up in 2-3 years time with a younger and exciting team which has been rebuilt (I have to say, probably under a different manager), than see us fluke a promotion out of nothing with an average team (like we did in 2004). That way, although we may have to wait a bit, we will stand a much better chance of competing once we are in the Championship again.

Well, McPhee wouldn't have been on much that's true, but probably the other two were not bad in Albion terms having been signed while in the Championship. Still it's not clear about El Turi and Dodd. Remember that other players "in contract" will also be likely moving on. We are going to have a fair turnover of players I think from last season but I just don't we can risk too much upheaval as we will then be vulnerable to average League 1 outfits with good team ethics.

Consolidate and rebuild at the same time should be our measured approach. We also have a new coach in Wilkins and I think we must have some continuity. I'm very pleased we've kept experience in the team rather than take a whole load of more gambles.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
mendoza10 said:
Nicolas
came from Chelsea and he was great, skillful, got the ball, put his foot on it and passed it simple to a Brighton player
McGhee saw no need for this and turned him into a workhorse, in the team to win the ball infront of the defence. he was not allowed forward, and therefore when he did venture within 20 yards of the goal, he shit himself and didnt know what to do.
We should keep him and let him play how he used to, as an attacking midfielder
That is just about the most blatantly inaccurate summing up of an Albion player I think I have ever seen. Absolute rubbish.

Apart from the embarrassing and pathetic hero worship we get from some about Leon Knight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
That is just about the most blatantly inaccurate summing up of an Albion player I think I have ever seen. Absolute rubbish.

Apart from the embarrassing and pathetic hero worship we get from some about Leon Knight.

No it isnt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here