Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For Anyone Thinking Of Voting Conservative...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
well thats true. we will never sort out education properly until the politicians stay the f*** out of it and stop using it as a political football. but underneath individual policies, Labour is fundementally pro central state involvment, core Tory principles are the opposite, and its one of the areas of core ideology where Labour differ from Liberals too.

And somewhere in between is a happy medium...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
are you a net saver or borrower?

Saver actually but I know enough about economics to know that a 15% interest rate would NOT be good for this country!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Tories here too. Lib Dems are a bunch of infighting wankers around here, Clegg appeals to those who are too dim to see past the smart suits and smiles, and Labour are effectively leaderless - last time Labour got in with one smiling assassin before foisting some talentless, humorless Jock on the country, so they can f*** right off. Would rather have a country which rewarded people who wanted it and shat on the ones who are too lazy to get off their arses and get away from the Welfare state they suckle from. Immigration? Let's keep the ones that work, f*** off the ones who commit crimes and don't contribute or gob off about what a shite country it is, and encourage some of the low life that have been spawned into the Labour lap over the last few years to f*** off somewhere else as well. I would rather have 50 Polish plumbers on the ferry over here than keep paying for the Stella habit of some feral, inbreeding scum that won't work for a living.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
...the prison population has grown by 25000..

More than that, It's nearly doubled (40-50k in 97; 85k Today).

Though it was Michael Howard who started it all by putting 2 prisoners to a cell designed for one. Tories have the same attitude to crime, only Lib Dems have an come up with more positive alternatives to prison.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
That sort of medium can NEVER be happy.

Let's take Acorah as the Tory and Russell Grant as the Labour "happy" medium. Who could represent the Lib Dem medium?

Would make Question Time a damn site more interesting...

"No, no, Churchill is coming through to me now... he says... he says...where's his f***ing cigars..."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit harsh Tom....but then again nothing less than I would expect from a blinkered type such as yourself.
So in your opinion,the state of the country's finances have nothing to do with the party that has been in power for the last 13 years and in particular,its glorious leader who happened to be Chancellor or PM throughout that time!
By the way,moron or not,I have been known to post an agreement to a number of your non political thoughts and views in the past....I can't be that bad for a baby eater,perhaps!!:thumbsup:

You'll notice that I upgraded you from 'moron' to 'simpleton' with a nifty edit :wink:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Please, this thread is shite.

Just a bunch of people venting their spleens and massaging their prejudices. I seriously doubt anyone, and I mean ANYONE, is gonna take a blind bit of notice about this thread when considering who to vote for.

Tories are mean, they eat babies. Labour are work-shy spendthrifts. They're warmongers. Lib Dems - nuclear power no thanks, not sure and yes please. They wear a pin stripe suit with a rip at the knees. The Greens are really commies.

There - that's all the ill-informed nonsense summed up in one paragraph. Can we have this site return to a football forum, please?

that is worryingly accurate of how I see things - but sadly we've got to vote one set of these idiots in to a high power job

*shudders*

Are any of todays parties worth voting for? None of them have any depth, substance or policies. Every thing is just a gimic or regurgitated bilge water. Todays bunch of politicians lack class and charisma. Can you say that you respect any of them? IT's a sad state of affairs. So much bitternes and grubby goings on. Look at the morals or should I say lack of morals from the the people who gouvern us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I dont like Soames but any vote in Mid Sussex unless for him is wasted. The only way he would be beat is if there was only 2 candidates and everybody who didnt want him voted for the alternative.

Why? Soames has had 50% of the vote and hopefully, there will be a higher than normal turnout. Also, one of the few benefits of the debates is that the Lib-dem profile has been raised and may see more tactical voting by the labour and 'other' voters in mid sussex.

Or even PFI ???

PFI was introduced by Major.

At the risk of asking a dumb question, what are people's problems with Soames?

Sorry but Soames has milked the system just like half of the MPs. He earns more from his part time jobs than he does from being an MP yet we have to foot the bill for his London home. Also, are you telling me that the Churchill family do not already own plenty of properties in London! It has also been reported that after the election, he is hoping to be made Ambassador to France rather than serve his constituency.

Wrong. Labour is about thinking (wrongly) that the state always knows best.

Whereas Tories believe the individuals know best. In that case, let's remove the state entirely. Get rid of health and safety, food standards, sale of goods act. Minimum standards in health, education etc. And probably the best of the lot, lets completely remove any financial controls on the banking sector because, afterall, they know best!!!!!

No Labour is about taking away peoples choice on what they spend their hard earned cash on through high levels of tax, Conservatives tend to be about reducing the tax burdeon on people to give them the choice on what they spend their wages on because more of their money is left in their pay packet at thye end of the week. Since 1975 the tax as a % of GDP has remained virtually the same through the entire period, ie 35 -36%

The problem is that there isn't an endless pot of money to provide everything that Labour wants to, and its only way of financing its ideas are through taxes and public borrowing. All increased public borrowing does is decrease your ability in the future to pay for things from just the taxes raised as the borrowing has a rate of interest attached to it that has to be met.

Labour tend to spend the money without worrying how its going to be repaid or the future inplications of their actions, the Conservatives look to cut this burdeon but usually at the cost of the higher state spending that Labour introduced. The National debt swallows so much of the tax income that parties are left with the remaining scraps to try to deliver first class services which is almost impossible and is why so much of this countries infrastructure (road building, rail network etc) and essential public services suffer (NHS, Police, Fire etc)

So, between 1979 and 1997, what improved under the Tories, bearing in mind the amounts they raised selling of the utilities, from North Sea Oil and of course from decimating the council housing stock. Education facilities didn't improve, the health service went down the pan. Were was the capital investment in the future?

All of the main parties have policies which involve 'state intervention' in all of the policy areas you mention. The problem with Labour is the extent of state involvement and the rather modest outcomes that have been achieved as a result of their calamitous spending spree.

Philospophy aside, do you honestly think that such profligacy is sustainable?

A well-meaning desire to be 'equitable' in areas such as education, is no substitute for actual achievement - like reducing the number of people leaving school without the basic skills to operate in the workplace.

Can you give some examples where you genuinely believe the state interferes with your life and how, if left to your own devices you would do a better job, and not to the detriment of others.

So, should we expect a doubling of VAT, 15% interest rates, mass unemployment, an ERM disaster and all the other joys of Tory rule after Thursday ?

You forgot to mentioning rioting in the streets. Lets be honest, the G20 skirmish was nothing compared to the poll tax riots, Toxteth, St Pauls, Brixton etc.

thats fair enough in principle, and accepted today by all sides of politics. but why do they insist on trying to extend that state intervention into everything? why do they feel it extends to telling teachers and nurses how to educate and dispense care?

State intervention is about setting minimum standards. Without it, in health and education for example, it would simply revert to a postcode lottery. Nurses are trained how to treat people, not manage a budget, the same for teachers with education. You would be the first to complain if your children were at a school, couldn't get in anywhere else, and the headmaster introduced some bizarre teaching methods that failed your child.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sorry but Soames has milked the system just like half of the MPs. He earns more from his part time jobs than he does from being an MP yet we have to foot the bill for his London home. Also, are you telling me that the Churchill family do not already own plenty of properties in London! It has also been reported that after the election, he is hoping to be made Ambassador to France rather than serve his constituency.

Alright, I was only asking.

C17BHA

Feb 24, 2009
I'm Amazed

When I made my original post, I did not think it would generate this many replies.

In one sense that is a good thing as it shows there is considerable interest in this Thursday's proceedings.

I am very surprised at the extent of Tory support on NSC but, having read every post, I still think that a Tory Government will be something that a lot of people will regret for years to come.

As for Mid Sussex, Soames only had a majority of just over 6,000 which makes this a winnable seat for the Lib Dems. Fingers crossed !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You would be the first to complain if your children were at a school, couldn't get in anywhere else, and the headmaster introduced some bizarre teaching methods that failed your child.

yeah, much better that government introduces some teaching method that fails all children universally. clearly centralisation is the answer to everything, if only give Labour a few years in power they will fix everything. oh...

though i dont see any real answers from Tory or Liberals either, just lots of postering.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Please, this thread is shite.

Just a bunch of people venting their spleens and massaging their prejudices. I seriously doubt anyone, and I mean ANYONE, is gonna take a blind bit of notice about this thread when considering who to vote for.

Tories are mean, they eat babies. Labour are work-shy spendthrifts. They're warmongers. Lib Dems - nuclear power no thanks, not sure and yes please. They wear a pin stripe suit with a rip at the knees. The Greens are really commies.

There - that's all the ill-informed nonsense summed up in one paragraph. Can we have this site return to a football forum, please?

Bit rich coming from a man who has not contributed to one football thread AT ALL apart from those about Palace. Not one single post about the Albion in 24.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
When I made my original post, I did not think it would generate this many replies.

In one sense that is a good thing as it shows there is considerable interest in this Thursday's proceedings.

I am very surprised at the extent of Tory support on NSC but, having read every post, I still think that a Tory Government will be something that a lot of people will regret for years to come.

As for Mid Sussex, Soames only had a majority of just over 6,000 which makes this a winnable seat for the Lib Dems. Fingers crossed !

The country is fu*ked only public spending is keeping it going and what ever government comes in is going to have to cut spending which is going to fu*k industry up totaly in the next couple of years.

Labour are not responsible for the global banking collapse but are responsible for wasting all of our money and not saving a penny, if they had not have left the savings empty they would be able to increase public sector spending to stimulate the economy unfortunately the have pi**ed it away.

The only hope is that the Torries will be able to get the private sector going significantly to make up for the shortfall in public sector spending.

Lib Dems are just a joke have not got enough people to make a cabinet of any note and their policies are just stageringly crazy.

Torries get my vote! But don't listen to me as I have just drank 3 very potent Moscow Mules to finish the bank holiday off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here