Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For Anyone Thinking Of Voting Conservative...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. Labour is about realising that there are some problems that can only be solved equitably by state intervention.

Or like breaking DNA database laws or trying to enforce an ID card on everyone. They need to keep their nose out and run the country rather than taking us into a police state.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A well-meaning desire to be 'equitable' in areas such as education, is no substitute for actual achievement - like reducing the number of people leaving school without the basic skills to operate in the workplace.

......so they have to go to university and in so doing taking a loan and their introduction to borrow, spend and pay later (or never)

Dandyman

In London village.
No Labour is about taking away peoples choice on what they spend their hard earned cash on through high levels of tax, Conservatives tend to be about reducing the tax burdeon on people to give them the choice on what they spend their wages on because more of their money is left in their pay packet at thye end of the week.

The problem is that there isn't an endless pot of money to provide everything that Labour wants to, and its only way of financing its ideas are through taxes and public borrowing. All increased public borrowing does is decrease your ability in the future to pay for things from just the taxes raised as the borrowing has a rate of interest attached to it that has to be met.

Labour tend to spend the money without worrying how its going to be repaid or the future inplications of their actions, the Conservatives look to cut this burdeon but usually at the cost of the higher state spending that Labour introduced. The National debt swallows so much of the tax income that parties are left with the remaining scraps to try to deliver first class services which is almost impossible and is why so much of this countries infrastructure (road building, rail network etc) and essential public services suffer (NHS, Police, Fire etc)

So, should we expect a doubling of VAT, 15% interest rates, mass unemployment, an ERM disaster and all the other joys of Tory rule after Thursday ?

D

Deleted User X18H

So, should we expect a doubling of VAT, 15% interest rates, mass unemployment, an ERM disaster and all the other joys of Tory rule after Thursday ?

15% interests rates? Yes please.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. Labour is about realising that there are some problems that can only be solved equitably by state intervention. Pensions. Care for the elderly. Achieving improvements in schooling for everyone. And delivering a high quality health service. To name but four.

thats fair enough in principle, and accepted today by all sides of politics. but why do they insist on trying to extend that state intervention into everything? why do they feel it extends to telling teachers and nurses how to educate and dispense care?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
oh its too pathetic, same old greivences from half a generation ago.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.

So baring in mind that most companies in Sussex are relatively small scale and already face a City induced credit crunch you want them to face crushing rates of interest on any lending they do manage to secure ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Oh dear, another one here. Not as few of us as you thought, are there? Mind you, my vote will be in Battersea. So I will not be getting in the way of the Green celebration fest that will no doubt take place on here.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Did somebody at party headquarters decide to get all available hands on to football forums to try & sway people to vote for them a la Mumsnet?

Knock it on the head.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
With apologies as I know this is a football chatboard ( to which I often contribute ), but I have to get this of my chest ahead of Thursday.

Be very careful if you're thinking of voting for the Tories looking for a change for the better. I can remember the Thatcher era and believe me, it was not nice. Cameron talks about a compassionate outlook...mmm, let me think about that for a second. The prospect of Cameron and Osborne at the helm of this country fills me with absolute dread. Also, Cameron's warning of the dangers of a hung parliament is quite contrary to the expectation and hope of many people who think a coalition ( much better calling it that, rather than a hung parliament ) - hopefully between the Lib Dems and Labour, will produce a more balanced and less autocratic Government.

I will be voting Lib Dem in Mid Sussex and, hopefully, if others follow suit, we will be rid of Nicholas Soames - another one who fills me with despair.

Rant over. :angry:

Up the Albion.

Well said! :clap::clap::clap:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Moderators. I know we have a dunce smilie. Would it be possible to have a Bufoon one? It could look like Mayor Boris or, failing that, Timmy.

Many Thanks

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
thats fair enough in principle, and accepted today by all sides of politics. but why do they insist on trying to extend that state intervention into everything? why do they feel it extends to telling teachers and nurses how to educate and dispense care?

You make it sound like a Labour-only issue. I remember my teachers during the 1980s complaining that there were forever being told what they could and couldn't teach.

Not that they should have been telling us that, mind.

D

Deleted User X18H

Moderators. I know we have a dunce smilie. Would it be possible to have a Bufoon one? It could look like Mayor Boris or, failing that, Timmy.

Many Thanks

Perhaps I being a little ironic. The 15% rate lasted less than 2 hours in 1992

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Many Thanks

are you a net saver or borrower?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Don't know where you've been looking for the last few weeks, this place is overun with Tories :(

Only because all the B*P sympathisers have been banned :lol:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You make it sound like a Labour-only issue. I remember my teachers during the 1980s complaining that there were forever being told what they could and couldn't teach.

well thats true. we will never sort out education properly until the politicians stay the f*** out of it and stop using it as a political football. but underneath individual policies, Labour is fundementally pro central state involvment, core Tory principles are the opposite, and its one of the areas of core ideology where Labour differ from Liberals too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here