Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fact Alert: Our Manager Is Rubbish

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
On Saturday performance, Wilkins looked totally out of his depth. I do not know and understand why we did not have an left winger on the pitch. Bas was supposed to be playing there, but he kept getting dragged into the middle. Rents was totally getting exposed down the left side. Why the hell do we keep on playing El-Bad in the midfield, when you can clearly see he isn't an professional footballer! His first touch and second touch is the worst I've ever seen, if we don't find an central midfielder this week then we'll struggle this season. Nicky Forster must be wondering why he ever decided to join us, he must be totally feeling gutted inside, that he has stepped down a division to play for an very poor side.

Savage was not playing on the left, he was meant to be tucked in behind the front 2.

Hammond was supposed to be the left of the 3 playing in midfield.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Imagine if we had a midfield, now that would be awesome.

Keeper - Needs improving
Defence - Excellent
Midfield - Needs overhaul
Strikers - Would be fine if we had a decent midfield.

I don't think the wings would be to bad if we had Cox and Reid but the centre is shocking. Hammond doesn't do enough to warrant his place, his anonymity cause the inconsistent El-Abd to be even more inconsistent, Fraser needs time to bulk up and Chamberlain just needs a few chances on the bench. We need at least one ball player in the middle. Someone with experience and I feel the whole thing could come together.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Anyone who went to Tranmere on saturday would have seen what a lackluster, poor side Wilkins' has built. We have absolutely nothing in midfield and Forster and Whing must be wondering what they have let himself in for. After half time it just looked like the team was going through the motions so what the hell did DW say to them? Its time for a change of manager and additions to the playing staff.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Imagine if we had a midfield, now that would be awesome.

Keeper - Needs improving
Defence - Excellent
Midfield - Needs overhaul
Strikers - Would be fine if we had a decent midfield.

I don't think the wings would be to bad if we had Cox and Reid but the centre is shocking. Hammond doesn't do enough to warrant his place, his anonymity cause the inconsistent El-Abd to be even more inconsistent, Fraser needs time to bulk up and Chamberlain just needs a few chances on the bench. We need at least one ball player in the middle. Someone with experience and I feel the whole thing could come together.

Can get away with Kuipers. Left side of defence is still a problem imo .

Agree with rest

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Anyone who went to Tranmere on saturday would have seen what a lackluster, poor side Wilkins' has built. We have absolutely nothing in midfield and Forster and Whing must be wondering what they have let himself in for. After half time it just looked like the team was going through the motions so what the hell did DW say to them? Its time for a change of manager and additions to the playing staff.

Sums it up well :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cheshire makes some good points, BUT - alarm bells are ringing from the last disastrous internal appointment. Hinshelwood was given far too long before he was eventually ousted. Despite getting a superb manager in to replace him, the damage had already been done (during that crushing 11 or 12 match losing streak). After that, Coppell did phenomenally well to take it to the final day of the season before our relegation was confirmed. Had we brought him in a mere 2 or 3 weeks earlier, we might even have escaped the drop that year.

Easy in the second half of that seaon under Coppell we were 9th in the championship with 31 points. Dick has made a ricket with Wilkins and needs to act swiftly and decisively.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy in the second half of that seaon under Coppell we were 9th in the championship with 31 points. Dick has made a ricket with Wilkins and needs to act swiftly and decisively.
OK, Gareth, what - in full - constitutes 'acting swiftly and decisively'? Imagine you are the chairman, what is your full and conclusive remedy to this situation? I'm interested, like.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Move Dean White out of the club, move Dean Wilkins into a director of football role with Hinsh in charge of youth and developement of grass roots, leave Ian Chapman as assistant manager to learn off new experiences manager, bring in Neil Warnock we could do a lot worse, and in fact are.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Move Dean White out of the club, move Dean Wilkins into a director of football role with Hinsh in charge of youth and developement of grass roots, leave Ian Chapman as assistant manager to learn off new experiences manager, bring in Neil Warnock we could do a lot worse, and in fact are.

Another wage.I would get rid of hinsh and give Wilkins his roke.Put White back to his old role of scout.Get in Warnock and let him bring in his own assisant.And put Chapman in charge of the 2nd team

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
interesting thread this, well argued (mostly) on both sides. I always believe in giving managers my backing until it becomes very obvious that they no longer have the confidence in themselves or the players. I believe Wilkins may be approaching that point, based on the performances at the end of last year and the quality of the play so far this year. Two things to note: I wasn't at Tranmere but Andrew Hawes and Norman Gall commentating on the radio both highlighted the fact that we'd lost our way in the second half and a change was needed. As a listener you were simply waiting for the goal to come. If they saw the need for a change, why not the management team? Secondly - if Micky Adams is still available - wouldn't he be superb?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
interesting thread this, well argued (mostly) on both sides. I always believe in giving managers my backing until it becomes very obvious that they no longer have the confidence in themselves or the players. I believe Wilkins may be approaching that point, based on the performances at the end of last year and the quality of the play so far this year. Two things to note: I wasn't at Tranmere but Andrew Hawes and Norman Gall commentating on the radio both highlighted the fact that we'd lost our way in the second half and a change was needed. As a listener you were simply waiting for the goal to come. If they saw the need for a change, why not the management team? Secondly - if Micky Adams is still available - wouldn't he be superb?

Think the major problem in getting rid of Dean Wilkins is the fact he has a 3 year contract.Which in itself was a mahor error by Dick Knight in my view.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I\'m trying to remember who Coppell brought in when he arrived. Rodger and Blackwell spring to mind, and Sidwell ? Having a recognised name at the helm certainly helps in that respect.

To be honest, I\'m still dithering a bit as far as the Wilkins Out qustion goes. Many more performances of the nature we\'ve been seeing though, and I\'ll end up sliding towards the OUT brigade though, as we really do not seem to be progressing under his stewardship. I\'m not one of those expecting to be challenging for Playoffs etc, but I would expect a comfortable mid-table season. At the moment, I am fearing a desperate scrap against the drop, and our youngsters seem to me to be ill-equipped to handle a dogfight at the bottom.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Think the major problem in getting rid of Dean Wilkins is the fact he has a 3 year contract.Which in itself was a mahor error by Dick Knight in my view.

Dick's no fool, I think he had an option of an easy get out for either party with limited compo.

slight error here ( not 3 games )

Wilkins league record

42 games
13 wins
9 draws
20 losses
48 point

hmmm that's relegation form, unless I'm very much mistaken

and it looks like all FOUR places are up for grabs, now that Leeds are looking as though they'll wipe of their 15 point deficit by the end of September

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wilkins was the right choice when appointed because we were committed to playing the kids graduating from the youth team that he himself had managed.

Ok, his first season was so-so, but we stay up, our away form was very good, the kids now have a season under their belts and we pick up Whing and Forster along the way.

We need to replace both Bertin and Oatway, preferably with experience. If we could do that we'd have a decent squad. It's a shame Knight and Perry have overpriced the tickets because the crowds will struggle to exceed 7,000 and I can see a lot of 5,000-5,500 come the winter.

Should Wilkins go? No way. But it is obvious we need to sign midfielders and if he doesn't do it, or fails to get performances out of Hammond and Reid then we, and him, are in trouble.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Wilkins was the right choice when appointed because we were committed to playing the kids graduating from the youth team that he himself had managed.

Ok, his first season was so-so, but we stay up, our away form was very good, the kids now have a season under their belts and we pick up Whing and Forster along the way.

We need to replace both Bertin and Oatway, preferably with experience. If we could do that we'd have a decent squad. It's a shame Knight and Perry have overpriced the tickets because the crowds will struggle to exceed 7,000 and I can see a lot of 5,000-5,500 come the winter.

Should Wilkins go? No way. But it is obvious we need to sign midfielders and if he doesn't do it, or fails to get performances out of Hammond and Reid then we, and him, are in trouble.

First season was so-so....your easily pleased. accept a few away performances we nearly got dragged into a relegation battle and that for me was a poor season....

The ticket prices are expensive but nothing has changed on that front....if wilkins knew what he was doing and had us playing anything better that crap then the 500-1000 that are missing would come back.

We get rid of him sooner rather than later,so we can get a manager in who can help us compete in this div rather than struggle on to another relegation battle. The guy is tactically inept and has a backing staff of non-league numpties...

WILKINS OUT!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

We stayed up on the back of a reasonable away record, our home record was the 2nd worst of the 92 league clubs and in the last 12 games by far the worst of the 92, do you think Whing and Forster are assets ?, I think Whing is an average div 3defender and Forster is on useless level challenging the greats of Kitson, Farrington and Peake.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
We stayed up on the back of a reasonable away record, our home record was the 2nd worst of the 92 league clubs and in the last 12 games by far the worst of the 92, do you think Whing and Forster are assets ?, I think Whing is an average div 3defender and Forster is on useless level challenging the greats of Kitson, Farrington and Peake.

Good to see you are giving the players time, more support there.

Next.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Yes, seventh best in the division. Still, those games have no value, so I don't know why I'm mentioning it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here