Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fact Alert: Our Manager Is Rubbish

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Piers that is simply untrue. I would have supported a sensible manager choice 100% but Wilkins was not the rigth choice. I was disgusted at the way McGhee was ousted out it is true to say but I have been very supportive generally to all of Albion's managers over the years.

You have been on Wilkins back from day one, now whilst I agree at present things are not going according to plan, at the same time your criticism of him has been far from rational.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wanted McGhee out as he seemed unable to sign anyone, and the constant dressing room fallouts (not ALWAYS his fault I grant you) was dragging the club down. We;d stagnated, the selections were getting more and more bizarre by the week, and it seemed the Albion was not a happy camp any more.

I was somewhat underwhelmed at Wilkins being appointed but was prepared to give him a chance. Some of the dire football since the turn of the year that now seems to be continuing into this season has me worried. I;m not quite at the WILKINS OUT stage yet, but if there arn;t any signs of improvement in the next half-dozen games or so, then I can see myself turning. And not in an I-like-your-bottom-can-I-touch-it-please way either.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You have been on Wilkins back from day one, now whilst I agree at present things are not going according to plan, at the same time your criticism of him has been far from rational.

much like you and McGhee really wouldn't you say, look were going round in circles here lets just respect each others views and leave it at that

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I would agree with that. My opinion of Wilkins is that he is a good coach but not a good manager. He doesn't seem to be able to alter the course of a game with tactical substitutions and upsets players by changing a winning team.

He seemed to be able to change the course of the game against Northampton by changing the formation from 442 to 433 mid-way through the second-half. Of course we were helped by the opposition self-destructing as well, but this seems like good management to me.

Just trying to clutch onto a increasingly diminishing bunch of straws for the man...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
much like you and McGhee really wouldn't you say, look were going round in circles here lets just respect each others views and leave it at that

With McGhee I was very much against him for the last 12 months of his reign. Whilst he was getting results that was fine, I will admit I had reservations even when he was doing OK, but he was doing his job and getting results.

Once he tried to build his own side things started to go wrong, but that has been somthing that seems to have followed him for most of his mangerial career.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
He's cheap, he's great in the dressing room and he's a cheeky cockney.

We wanna be careful Leeds don't nick him though.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Here we go, when was it rubbish? We had some really good results with McGhee, such as West Ham, Sunderland, Ipswich, Leeds, Palace, etc.
It turned sour after Christmas 2005 but for two years previously you cannot say it was rubbish.

That last 6 months was truley awful stuff at time tho!
We also had an 11 game spell without a win.

Surley managers are only judged on there most recent results, or can we all say that we were brilliant in October last year so should all back Wilkins?

My view is that i still back Wilkins but the next 4 games are massive for him, and we should judge him on all the results this season after them.

With the Northampton game it reminded me alittle of the not so good Rotherham and Port Valve games at home last season which we drew 0-0, where as this time we picked up the 3 points. Which has got to be an improvement?

Dean Wilkins's managerial career

Team Brighton

From 08/09/2006 To Present
Games 52 Won 17 (32.69%) Drawn 11 (21.15%) Lost 24 (46.15%)

Mark McGhee's managerial career

Brighton 28-10-2003 08-09-2006 P139 W40 (28.7%) L 61 (43.8%) D38 (27.33%)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here