Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fact Alert: Our Manager Is Rubbish

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lets be honest, the football was shit under McGhee and is shit under Wilkins.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Because I could see the disaster that would unfold, its not rocket science, Wilkins was good at running the boys team and may eventually have been a reasonable manager of the mens team but it was FAR TOO SOON to put him in such a position. It was perfect as it was I have quite happy with Wilkins as No 2 and McGhee in charge or would have supported a new experienced manager with Willkins staying as No 2 but it made no sense to appoint him 1 year ago and I think with respect the results and toilet football we have been subjected to has rather proved my point but I just want the club to be successful and it will not be with Wilkins, this position came 3 years too soon for him.

No, you never supported him as he replaced McGhee and whoever had done that you would have got on the back of.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lets be honest, the football was shit under McGhee and is shit under Wilkins.

Here we go, when was it rubbish? We had some really good results with McGhee, such as West Ham, Sunderland, Ipswich, Leeds, Palace, etc.
It turned sour after Christmas 2005 but for two years previously you cannot say it was rubbish.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Whing - Good signing by Wilkins
Elphick - Brought through by Wilkins
Lynch - Brought through by Wilkins
Rents - Brought through by Wilkins
Forster - Good signing by Wilkins

Now lets see he has improved 2 areas of the team compared to what they were with buys and youth he has brought through so perhaps he just needs a little time to work with the others and get some players in.

My only major criticism is the football has been shite.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Whing - Good signing by Wilkins
Elphick - Brought through by Wilkins
Lynch - Brought through by Wilkins
Rents - Brought through by Wilkins
Forster - Good signing by Wilkins

Now lets see he has improved 2 areas of the team compared to what they were with buys and youth he has brought through so perhaps he just needs a little time to work with the others and get some players in.

My only major criticism is the football has been shite.

I would agree with that. My opinion of Wilkins is that he is a good coach but not a good manager. He doesn't seem to be able to alter the course of a game with tactical substitutions and upsets players by changing a winning team.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Here we go, when was it rubbish? We had some really good results with McGhee, such as West Ham, Sunderland, Ipswich, Leeds, Palace, etc.
It turned sour after Christmas 2005 but for two years previously you cannot say it was rubbish.

What do you mean 'here we go'? Because I'm always slagging MM off aren't I? (that's sarcastic by the way but I guess you got that).

I'm not talking about winning or losing, I'm talking about the asthetic quality of the football. It was not pretty under MM.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
They were good results, but a number of those games were not won through attractive football.

I'd rather have wins with unattractive football than gallantly losing.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What do you mean 'here we go'? Because I'm always slagging MM off aren't I? (that's sarcastic by the way but I guess you got that).

I'm not talking about winning or losing, I'm talking about the asthetic quality of the football. It was not pretty under MM.

You are correct, it was not pretty under McGhee, but it was effective in his first season and a half.

The problem is a number of people being vocal on this thread were anti-Wilkins as he replaced McGhee to start with, so they are rather enjoying the 'told you so' stance they can now take.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I'd rather have wins with unattractive football than gallantly losing.

Most of us would to a certain point. You seem to miss the point of the statement Yorkie, people slag off Wilkins for the style of football but it's not much different to MM's.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Which is what you got at the first home game of the season?

No, the football was a lot better in the second half when we started playing. We actually got some good passing going.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Because inevitably comparisons came into it when the discussion should have been about Wilkins solely.
I wasn't referring to you at all.

I agree with you there but comparisons are inevitable as the Anti Wilkins threads are predominately started by Pro Mcgheers.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
What do you mean 'here we go'?

I agree with you there but comparisons are inevitable as the Anti Wilkins threads are predominately started by Pro Mcgheers.

Not from what I have observed. There have always been the anti Wilkins (I have said all along that I didn't think his appointment was right) but there are a lot more people thinking along those lines now. They were the people who said, 'Give him the summer to get his own team'
As far as I can make out on Nsc there are a handful of pro McGhee people. A lot more than that are now discontented.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Because I could see the disaster that would unfold, its not rocket science, Wilkins was good at running the boys team and may eventually have been a reasonable manager of the mens team but it was FAR TOO SOON to put him in such a position. It was perfect as it was I have quite happy with Wilkins as No 2 and McGhee in charge or would have supported a new experienced manager with Willkins staying as No 2 but it made no sense to appoint him 1 year ago and I think with respect the results and toilet football we have been subjected to has rather proved my point but I just want the club to be successful and it will not be with Wilkins, this position came 3 years too soon for him.

This is the post I was responding to.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Look as we ALL know EARLY SEASON results dont matter awyway.

I cant remember which wise person said that but I would never question his football knowledge. :jester:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, you never supported him as he replaced McGhee and whoever had done that you would have got on the back of.

Piers that is simply untrue. I would have supported a sensible manager choice 100% but Wilkins was not the rigth choice. I was disgusted at the way McGhee was ousted out it is true to say but I have been very supportive generally to all of Albion's managers over the years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here