Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fabrice Muamba in Spurs v Bolton match

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Bolton Wanderers midfielder Fabrice Muamba is critically ill after collapsing during the FA Cup fifth-round tie against Tottenham.
The 23-year-old is being treated in the intensive care unit of the heart attack centre at the London Chest Hospital.
Medics spent 10 minutes trying to resuscitate him on the field after he fell to the ground with no other players around him.
The score was 1-1 when the match was abandoned after 41 minutes.

"Bolton Wanderers can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has been admitted to The Heart Attack Centre at The London Chest Hospital where he is in a critically ill condition in intensive care," said a joint statement from Bolton and the hospital.
"No further information will be issued at this stage. The club and hospital request that the media and public respect the family's privacy at this time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17417973

http://www.bwfc.co.uk/page/General/0,,1004~2663856,00.html

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Latest few reporter tweets listing him as "critically ill in intensive care". This doesn't necessarily contradict 'stable', we often here in hospital cases of people being "stable, but critical". Just seems to almost be more dramatic. Either he has had downturn or the press are starting to get more sensationalist.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
"Stable" merely means he isn't dead and hasn't got worse (or better) recently. It does not describe his actual condition.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"Stable" merely means he isn't dead and hasn't got worse (or better) recently. It does not describe his actual condition.

Yes, but an hour ago he was simply 'stable' now he is simply 'critically ill'. Is he no longer stable?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I'm so glad he is recovering. I just hope he pulls through. He sounds like one of the more gifted and intelligent players around, with high ambitions for the future. I must admit I was fearing the worst when I returned home to hear he'd collapsed. Most people (youngsters and and adults alike) who collapse suddenly during high-intenstiy exercise don't pull through. It's such a tragic thing to happen, and sounds like it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yes, but an hour ago he was simply 'stable' now he is simply 'critically ill'. Is he no longer stable?
You can be both "critically ill" and "stable" at the same time. Being stable merely means he is still critically ill but no worse nor better. The two terms can be used independantly of each other.

Hopefully at some stage later on he will be reported as "improving" which may mean he is still critically ill but a bit better than he was.

Given what he has gone through, I suspect "not dead" is currently a good enough condition for now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You can be both "critically ill" and "stable" at the same time. Being stable merely means he is still critically ill but no worse nor better. The two terms can be used independantly of each other.

Hopefully at some stage later on he will be reported as "improving" which may mean he is still critically ill but a bit better than he was.

Given what he has gone through, I suspect "not dead" is currently a good enough condition for now.

Yes, I said that in my first post.

My point is either he is not stable, in which case people may want to know to give further support or prayers or what have you, or he is still stable and someone has cynically decided to stop mentioning this as it is more dramatic/sensational/whatever to lead with the headline "critically ill" rather than "stable, but critical"

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
"The club and hospital request that the media and public respect the family's privacy at this time."

They followed that quote on Sky Sports News with "and we'll be running with this story through the night."
I know it's a news story and they wont be able to leave it alone, but i always find it a strange thing to say after hearing someone wants to be left alone and not talked of. Now, of course, i'm mentioning it too.
Hope the lad pulls through. My uncle died yesterday morning with heart-failure of some kind, after a rollicking game of table tennis. No idea how to claim to be linking these two stories together or make a thing of it, so i'll disappear into the night instead and ponder here and there amidst the escapist pap i'll distract my brain and mildly-numbed heart from.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
They followed that quote on Sky Sports News with "and we'll be running with this story through the night."
I know it's a news story and they wont be able to leave it alone, but i always find it a strange thing to say after hearing someone wants to be left alone and not talked of. Now, of course, i'm mentioning it too.
Hope the lad pulls through. My uncle died yesterday morning with heart-failure of some kind, after a rollicking game of table tennis. No idea how to claim to be linking these two stories together or make a thing of it, so i'll disappear into the night instead and ponder here and there amidst the escapist pap i'll distract my brain and mildly-numbed heart from.

Sorry to hear that MB. We're all mortal, if that's the link. It brings it home when young athletes are struck down, but it's no less sad for your uncle and your family.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is awful and just goes to show whatever effect the loss today at Blackpool has on all of us this really doesn't matter at all.

Let us all have really positive thoughts for Fabrice and pray he comes through OK.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This is awful and just goes to show whatever effect the loss today at Blackpool has on all of us this really doesn't matter at all.

Let us all have really positive thoughts for Fabrice and pray he comes through OK.

Exactly and one positive tonight was that I was completely wrong when I told you he hadn't pulled through.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Exactly and one positive tonight was that I was completely wrong when I told you he hadn't pulled through.

Thankfully you were, let's all just realise the bigger picture and pray and think positive for this young footballer.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I'm no medical expert but from what I understand, the docs will sedate him, lower his body temperature as it lessens damage, and then slowly increase his body temperature again after about 24 hours. One of the concerns will be whether he was without oxygen for long. Due to the quick response, hopefully he got oxygen to the brain v quickly. It was my dad who had the heart attack outside the Amex after the Coventry game. He's made a good recovery due to quick medical attention and I hope that Fabrice is able to make it himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here