Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'England gifted lifeline by Israel' - Any idea how SHAMEFUL that sounds?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
.....it says a lot about how low England have sunk when we are worrying ourselves about Russia and Isreal. I do not agree with the cliche that there a no easy games at international level. Struggling teams always use that line....decent teams simply deal with the opponents put in front of them.

Out of interest, who do you consider 'decent' in Europe right now then?

Spain, Italy, France, Czech Rep, Germany, Spain etc have all lost matches in qualifying and dropped points in three or four matches. Portugal might not even make it.

England have a slightly easier group than some, but not all. Germany's group was easy, for example, and so was Spain's.

Croatia, Russia and Israel have amazing home records - I believe they've lost one home qualifier between them in the last eight years.

England have had ONE truly bad result - 0-0 at home to Macedonia.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Ray Wilkinsd said on TV the problem is we expect to qualify as a right, a kind of self importance and that the English players are as passionate as any others when they go out to play the game. The difference between us and Scotland is that the Scot support is more enthusiastic than ours all we want to do is to boo players like Bentley etc rather than get behind them.

As Ray Wilkinsd said on TV the problem is we expect to qualify as a right, a kind of self importance and that the English players are as passionate as any others when they go out to play the game. The difference between us and Scotland is that the Scot support is more enthusiastic than ours all we want to do is to boo players like Bentley etc rather than get behind them.

The booing is outrageous, you are right.

England fans can be very fickle, they forgave Looney Rooney for getting sent off for petulance vs Portugal, but vilified Beckham for years.
Frank Lampard is a player in form lately, while Gerrard is certainly not - but they booed Lampard.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Spain, Italy, France, Czech Rep, Germany, Spain etc have all lost matches in qualifying and dropped points in three or four matches. Portugal might not even make it.

England have a slightly easier group than some, but not all. Germany's group was easy, for example, and so was Spain's.

Croatia, Russia and Israel have amazing home records - I believe they've lost one home qualifier between them in the last eight years.

Italy, France, Germany have ALL done much much better than England in recent years......have a look at the last World Cup...or maybe check to see who out of England, Germany, France and Italy has already qualified for the next Euros.

Oct 25, 2003
god sake, this is all RIDICULOUS

i'm half english/half scottish so kinda support both

scotland have performed very well in this qualifying campaign, and had they had an easier group, probably would've qualified, but at the end of the day weren't as good as the world champions and the team they beat....on the plus side they can build from there, and will hopefully get an easier group for the world cup

if the english players showed the passion and commitment that scotland have done, they would've WALKED this group, instead we've spluttered through, including drawing at HOME to macedonia, and struggling to see off andorra....even if england qualify, which now, they should, mclaren needs to take a long, hard look at his squad to avoid embarassment next year

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks

I don't disagree with where you're coming from on this, but the level of guff written and talked about how good we are and how great our players are suggests that we should be beating everyone in our group easily. I'd be a lot less disillusioned about international football if the players weren't so ridciculously over-hyped. Golden generation my arse - we've got a few decent players but not much that's world-class.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
god sake, this is all RIDICULOUS

i'm half english/half scottish so kinda support both

scotland have performed very well in this qualifying campaign, and had they had an easier group, probably would've qualified, but at the end of the day weren't as good as the world champions and the team they beat....on the plus side they can build from there, and will hopefully get an easier group for the world cup

if the english players showed the passion and commitment that scotland have done, they would've WALKED this group, instead we've spluttered through, including drawing at HOME to macedonia, and struggling to see off andorra....even if england qualify, which now, they should, mclaren needs to take a long, hard look at his squad to avoid embarassment next year

Can't see that it's much to do with passion - I just don't think they're that good.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
When Italy scored the winner I laughed so hard i thought I'd broken my ribs. Come on Sweaties admit it, you're absolutely devastated that you won't be in Euro 2008 but what has completely destroyed you is the knowledge that England might qualify instead. It eats away at you like maggots feasting on a discarded haggis. England may be shitter than we've been for a long time but we are safe in the knowledge that we will never be as shit as scotland. Scotland for all the passion and desire and hunger are just simple losers. Still at least you have Andy Murray, the ugly mop haired twat!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I realise that I am in a minority, because I really couldn't give a shit about whether England qualify or not.

But what really hacked me off was yesterday on the radio they were saying how Saturdey was a "great night for England" And this wasn't The Sun version of radio (Talksport) this was Sportsweek on 5 Live.

"A great night for England" ? What a f***ing embarrassment

I realise that I am in a minority, because I really couldn't give a shit about whether England qualify or not.

But what really hacked me off was yesterday on the radio they were saying how Saturdey was a "great night for England" And this wasn't The Sun version of radio (Talksport) this was Sportsweek on 5 Live.

"A great night for England" ? What a f***ing embarrassment

I didn't find it embarrassing - we got a really great laugh, watching the Scots lose a goal to a better side - after all the hype and media buildup - in 1 minute 10 seconds. It's great enough that they wouldn't be able to give it LARGE (like they are always guaranteed to do) by qualifying for a tournament while we weren't there.

Then, the Russian hopefuls, who made a big deal of beating us in Russia on their own (plastic) pitch, got beat as well, thus leaving us in the zone to make the finals for the trophy.

On top of that, Croatia lost -bringing their goal difference down to the point that we can take top place in the group if we beat them by 2 goals, or just simply qualify if we don't lose at home.

What is embarrassing about that??
Great night for all Engerlishmen. :lolol: :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
When Italy scored the winner I laughed so hard i thought I'd broken my ribs. Come on Sweaties admit it, you're absolutely devastated that you won't be in Euro 2008 but what has completely destroyed you is the knowledge that England might qualify instead. It eats away at you like maggots feasting on a discarded haggis. England may be shitter than we've been for a long time but we are safe in the knowledge that we will never be as shit as scotland. Scotland for all the passion and desire and hunger are just simple losers. Still at least you have Andy Murray, the ugly mop haired twat!!

Deary me - what a horrible, arrogant attitude.

As far as I'm concerned the Socttish deserve to be there and the English don't. Simple really.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

You really should not sit on the fence with your feelings, you should say it how it is :jester::D:laugh::jester::D:laugh: (got to admit, this post did make me laugh)

Fact; some of you English, ought to come to terms with the fact that it doesn't matter how you qualified for stuff because someone else lost a match.

If every team won all their games, and we didn't, then moan. But that's not the case. Other teams lose matches, and the league system requires that you finish in the top 2 places at THE END of the qualifying stage.

If everything doesn't go England's way, then quit blaming one midfield player because he hasn't scored.

I agree that the manager is an issue - I hate seeing his molester smirk in interviews, I'd rather he never smiles, ....until England win something.
But, I don't hope we get knocked out of everything until I approve of the manager. I want us, even with McClaren and Venebles, and even with Swain Boring Irksome, to qualify, and to win,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
hahaha, good one tedebear, I almost thought you were seriously suggesting that the Euro Tournament be decided on plucky inferior hopefuls!

You ARE a card! :laugh:

If anyone is qualified to spot an arrogant attitude it has to be Tedebear...after all she is Australian :lol:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Don't hold back there CF, get off the fence!

I hope you apply the same levels of tolerance when dealing with the numerous "Gentlemen of the road" dotted around Brighton who hail from (or is it Fraeme or Fae?) Caledonia!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here