Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'England gifted lifeline by Israel' - Any idea how SHAMEFUL that sounds?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bit like the Aussies at the last World Cup. Gave their all, only for Italy to nick it with the last kick of the game. Cracking performance by the Socceroos. Pride and passion innit. Are we RELATED by any chance?

in the sense that you are both annoying, irritating, chip on their shoulder countries.... then yes you may well be related.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bit like the Aussies at the last World Cup. Gave their all, only for Italy to nick it with the last kick of the game. Cracking performance by the Socceroos. Pride and passion innit. Are we RELATED by any chance?

Yep - indeed we are - not many from either side would want to either admit or believe it though....

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Great thread Tom. Bet you never thought it would get 4 pages eh? :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Of course I was talking in terms of effort and drive though - the Scots have a bit more passion at the moment and if England are "gifted a lifeline" it seems a tad unfair...
Maybe, to be honest I think "passion" is a very overused and overstated word in football. Scotland weren't so "passionate" under Berti Vogts... what Scotland have (that England don't) is a manager that set up a system that plays to their strengths, and played players in roles they know how to play - they know what they're doing and do the tasks given to them.

England go out on the pitch and look like they are playing for themselves, but that is because they don't know what they're supposed to be doing, either the tactics are not clear enough (which is probable given the ill balanced mess we put out and call a team) or because they haven't been coached well enough, or haven't listened. It's more to do with know their jobs and doing them, than passion imo.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Maybe, to be honest I think "passion" is a very overused and overstated word in football. Scotland weren't so "passionate" under Berti Vogts... what Scotland have (that England don't) is a manager that set up a system that plays to their strengths, and played players in roles they know how to play - they know what they're doing and do the tasks given to them.

England go out on the pitch and look like they are playing for themselves, but that is because they don't know what they're supposed to be doing, either the tactics are not clear enough (which is probable given the ill balanced mess we put out and call a team) or because they haven't been coached well enough, or haven't listened. It's more to do with know their jobs and doing them, than passion imo.

Cant argue with most of that.

With the types in the squad I think its more of the case they dont listen because they think they know best

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Very well put - completely agree - and even though I agree that passion is overused, I still think there is something missing in terms of desire to compete for your country over your club....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here