Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'England gifted lifeline by Israel' - Any idea how SHAMEFUL that sounds?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Why not put Scotland in a comparable position to other countries who have only just qualified in less competetive groups. Why pick on the sassenachs?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
to be fair Justine, we have hardly been "gifted a lifeline". we have only lost 2 games in this qualifying tournement, Croatia and Russia away...that is it. If we win against Croatia we will finish top of the group.

You are assuming Isreal would have rolled over against Russia...they didnt and beat them....we drew in israel! we duffed the russians 3-0 at home and just lost 2-1 in Russia.

yes ok, we drew with macedonia ( who beat Croatia 2-0) but looking back on it, we were going through a bad patch then....

I dont hold with all this ...we are lucky and the Scots not...if the Scots had beaten Italy they would have qualified...they didnt ...end of story

I'm not talking about results though Dave, I'm talking about the attitude of the English players/manager and mostly the FA, I don't see the passion or effort, no want or drive to play as well as possible for your country? Not from all the players anyhow - just seems playing for your club is more important. Would be grand to see the boys qualify by WINNING not by relying on other results - a good win on Weds will restore my faith - but if it doesn't surely a massive shake up of the whole situation should happen? It won't but it should!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I'm not talking about results though Dave, I'm talking about the attitude of the English players/manager and mostly the FA, I don't see the passion or effort, no want or drive to play as well as possible for your country? Not from all the players anyhow - just seems playing for your club is more important. Would be grand to see the boys qualify by WINNING not by relying on other results - a good win on Weds will restore my faith - but if it doesn't surely a massive shake up of the whole situation should happen? It won't but it should!

but..isn't that what competion is all about? Surely the only definite way to qualify without relying on other results is to win every qualifying game? If we win on Wednesday then we qualify we don't sit nervously to see if Russia lose by 123 clear goals or something simlar.

???

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
but..isn't that what competion is all about? Surely the only definite way to qualify without relying on other results is to win every qualifying game? If we win on Wednesday then we qualify we don't sit nervously to see if Russia lose by 123 clear goals or something simlar.

???

Yep - indeed it is. But again I'm not talking about results I was more alluding to who deserved to qualify based on my silly little criteria of passion and drive..

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
I actually care more about our rivalry with the Aussies than I do Scotland, obviously not football wise but they are a good match for England in Rugby (whatever that is!) and Cricket. Mind you my sister is married to an Aussie and lives out there so there is a bit of banter and needle with her old man whenever we play them at anything.

I think England's rivalry with the Skirt wearers is akin to the Aussies rivalry with the Kiwis, i.e they care more about it than we do.

As for me being arrogant, damned right I am if it gets a reaction and rise out of the tartan tosspots. :lol:

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
I think England's rivalry with the Skirt wearers is akin to the Aussies rivalry with the Kiwis, i.e they care more about it than we do.

That is a fact.

If Scotland, Wales or either of the two Irish teams are playing the majority of English fans are willing them to win, unless their opponents are England.

Whenever England play the majority of the fans of Scotland, Wales and the two Irish nations are willing England to lose. They also get some sadistic pleasure when England slip up.

There are many Cornish men with the same trait. They believe that they are a separate nation. It seems to be a Celtic tradition that is passed down from generation to generation.

Problem is it is based on ignorant bigotry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course I was talking in terms of effort and drive though - the Scots have a bit more passion at the moment

Bit like the Aussies at the last World Cup. Gave their all, only for Italy to nick it with the last kick of the game. Cracking performance by the Socceroos. Pride and passion innit. Are we RELATED by any chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here